Sign in to follow this  
Lukemeister

RCv4 Route Finder and Airbus X Extended

Hi all

As we all know RCv4 has to have a default FSX flight plan loaded in to it so it knows what you're doing.

The problem is the Airbus X Extended has its own version of flight plans, As a kind of medium I am using RouteFinder.

Is there any way I can make these routes from routefinder into .pln files?

Thanks

Can't exactly answer your question, but I work around this issue by

- either activating NOTAMs on RC controller page for departure and/or arrival airport

- or using the departures procedure and/or IAP approach features of RC.

My 'base' flightplan is created in FSX, loaded into RC, and recreated in the AAX MCDU, enhancing it from the RW SID/STAR AAX database (NavDataPro for me).

Routefinder can export .pln files for RC in FS9 format and maybe FSX. I do not use it but I believe it does not expand SIDs and STARs into individual waypoints.

As to getting the same .pln file into into the Airbus X if you can't export into an FMC format for it then you'd have to create it in the Airbus FMC to match and then operate it as Olli suggested.

What formats can the AAX import into its FMS as a flight plan? If FSX or another common format then perhaps a flight planner like FSBuild 2.4 can be used which expands SIDs and STARs into waypoints for RC. That can be updated by NavdataPro or via navigraph.com and update the same data for the AAX so procedures match the .pln for RC and in the FMS.

If you can go that route I have a hint sheet based on FSBuild on how to operate that way. I do this for the PMDG jets. I just subscribed to a one time NavdataPro update (about $13 US) and then used a procedure similar to Olli's.

FSBuild I believe can take the same syntax used by Routefinder or import a .pln for that and then choose a SID or STAR to expand the waypoints.

These are two quotes from the ConvAXE v1.2 author:

"FlightSim Commander FSX Flight-Plan file converter to Airbus X Extended CompanyRoute format.

Flight Plan converter from FlightSim Commander created FSX Flight-plan file to Airbus X Extended Company Route format. Convert also Text Route from internet sites (RouteFinder and VATRoute)"

"Hi, if "Save Converted Rroute to FlighPlans" button grayed out then the Route is invalid.

You can't use Real FSX Flight plan file because sometime the waypoints have no airwaynumbers in FSX Flight Plan files, converting intended for FlightSim Commander(FSC9.2) created FSX flight plan files.

Look out: All the Waypoints should be with Airway number (There excluding the first waypoint), otherwise that the created Routes do not works with Airbus X Extended."

Judging from this a flightplan created by FSX itself can't be converted into AAX format.

It has to be a FP either from FSC or RouteFinder or VATRoute.

Taking into account what Ron states, RouteFinder could, maybe, work as a pivot to synchronize both the FSX and the AAX flightplan.

In case the fumbling with different formats gets too much, I prefer my workaround method, though ...

What formats can the AAX import into its FMS as a flight plan?

According to the manual flight plans cannot be imported into the FMS. If you are not using a pre-ordained company route you must input the plan via the keyboard.

Iain Smith

According to the manual flight plans cannot be imported into the FMS. If you are not using a pre-ordained company route you must input the plan via the keyboard.

Iain Smith

Company route is created only in the FMC? I am thinking like PMDG a company route is an .rte or .rt2 file which some flight planners export.

. . . or is that a saved route only that must be created in the FMS/CDU.

The ConvAxe v1.2 mentioned above is a tool tailor-made for the AXE that creates flightplans in AXE format. I'm not aware of another addon or tool than can export AXE FPs (yet).

Guess that's why it's either this tool or a manually entered FP saved as a coroute from the AXE MCDU.

The ConvAxe v1.2 mentioned above is a tool tailor-made for the AXE that creates flightplans in AXE format. I'm not aware of another addon or tool than can export AXE FPs (yet).

Guess that's why it's either this tool or a manually entered FP saved as a coroute from the AXE MCDU.

I didn't catch your reply. It looks like ConvAXE v1.2 can use any planner that can output an FSX plan so FSBuild can be used. I do not know if FSC has the ability to export the .pln file after editing the expanded waypoint.pln. It also looks like RC had some problems with an FSC output so please search this forum. Either way, here the FSBuild tip sheet on preparing two exports - one for the FMC and one for RC synced up to coordinate.

It includes a way on how to handle SIDs and STARs that are runway specific so you do not need to specify runways for airports before activating RC and you can handle RC's dynamic runway assignments. You can then use the FMC procedure database and the plan to RC will just have common waypoints to all runways outside of the 30nm departure limit and 40nm approach limit by editing the grid produced by using the procedure waypoints produced by the planner.

You can not always find a route in Route Finder in which case you can try FSBuild's auto-route feature. Just proof the route in the map and delete or correct any waypoint and then select each time in FSB the option to build from the (edited) waypoint table when exporting to your FSX plan for RC and for the Airbus ConvAXE input.

It looks like Aerosoft's product Airbus takes Navdata Pro AIRACs as does FSBuild so a one time Navdata Pro subscription could sync up the Airbus database and FSBuild (or some other planners).

For those not familar with NavdataPro for any cycle period subscription type you purchase, you can update any number of compatible formats within that period without incurring additional charges. Aerosoft just fixed a bug that prevented me from accessing their server and I now have successfully run a one time update getting the PMDG, FSBuild 2.4, and ISG (instrument suite) AIRAC data so all are in data sync.

I didn't catch your reply. It looks like ConvAXE v1.2 can use any planner that can output an FSX plan so FSBuild can be used. (...)

It looks like Aerosoft's product Airbus takes Navdata Pro AIRACs as does FSBuild so a one time Navdata Pro subscription could sync up the Airbus database and FSBuild (or some other planners).

(...)

I'd think the same: The import format of this ConvAxe is either a text route or FSX FP format. To me it doesn't seem to matter either, where the FSX FP is derived from.

AAX can use NaviGraph data, too. There's a switch for those databases to be employed built into an AAX configurator.

Just posted, now quoted, not checked by myself:

I do this all the time........

1). I create a flight plan route using "routefinder"  (http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/)

2). Next, I import the shortform version of the route into Simroutes (http://www.simroutes.com/fb2/ParseRoute.aspx)

E.g.... if the route was EGNT DCT RAPUM UP16 POL DCT EGNM, put the ICAO codes into Simroutes, and then the DCT RAPUM UP16 POL DCT into the route field of Simroutes too.............. generate the route.

3). Now Simroutes has the option to export as FSX .Pln file type, so do that.

4) Put the above into your "Flight Simulator X files" in your docs.

5). Open ConvAXE, and enter the same data from steps (1) / (2) into ConvAXE and save.

That's it ........ I now have the same flight plan as a .PLN file for FSX ATC (or for RCv4 in your case), and also sitting waiting to be opened as a CO ROUTE within the Airbus.

excellenttext_s.gif

I tried Simroutes today and it has certainly added better routes. However, as stated in the FAQ, it relies on contributed routes from VATSIM and other members edited by administrators.

Feature wise, it now correctly expands SIDs and STARs that it knows about. It also does not have any feature for editing the waypoints in the downloaded .pln file so that would have to be done manually in addition to editing in an altitude (didn't see that for input).

I also notice it uses real-world weather for origin and destination but in real time.

I occasionally fly from areas where routes may not be listed in simroutes so it has no auto generation features.

In my opinion Simroutes can be used as an adjunct to a featured FS flight planner as I demonstrated that allows grid editing. FSBuild includes a feature that links to a downloaded Active sky snapshot and with its included fuel planner can assist in planning by selecting a similar aircraft profile.

FS Build can import an FSX or FS9 plan as well and then grid editing becomes available. You can also with slight editing place the Simroutes route line into FSBuild for building the plan and then edit the grid.

I don't know if FSC allows the same route grid editing features that enhances allowing using RC's dynamically assigned runways.

You should be able, though, to take a plan downloaded from simroutes, open the FSX planner and open that file for editing, add the desired cruise altitude, eliminate the waypoints, and save the file in two versions, one for ConvAXE and the other for loading into RC.

For the US I use flightaware.com which may include a complete route where one or both airports are in FAA jurisdictions. These are daily filed real world routes. BTW, I've run some NATS plans between KJFK and EGLL from flightaware through FSBuild where it had an equivalent aircraft performance table and the durations were between five and fifteen minutes of the real world.

Could I please ask an obvious question here? Why doesn't the developer simply give users the ability to import a plan created from maybe FSX, FSC or other programs into the FMC just like PMDG do? I use FSC constantly and the ability to export a plan to a variety of add-ons is a key advantage. I love AXE but rarely use it as I have little interest in inputting a plan by hand.

Of course I appreciate that we all have differing needs/preferences as sim pilots but I don't understand why PMDG, Quality Wings and other developers offer this convenience but Aerosoft don't?

Could I please ask an obvious question here? Why doesn't the developer simply give users the ability to import a plan created from maybe FSX, FSC or other programs into the FMC just like PMDG do? I use FSC constantly and the ability to export a plan to a variety of add-ons is a key advantage. I love AXE but rarely use it as I have little interest in inputting a plan by hand.

Of course I appreciate that we all have differing needs/preferences as sim pilots but I don't understand why PMDG, Quality Wings and other developers offer this convenience but Aerosoft don't?

Good question!

AFAIK, PMDG did this only once (MD-11), but it would help a lot with the AAX. The a.m. AXE Converter is no Aerosoft develoment, BTW, it's a user 'tweak'.

I, personally, hope for some more export options (AAX format) for the existing flightplanning tools ...

Just came across this one, could help, too:

You can just create a new quick route in the AXE co-route editor. All you do is copy paste it in there from EFB which has your route finder route displayed. After this I run the co-route splitter and there you go a quick and easy co-route exported from EFB into AXE :)

Just a heads up: FS Commander now supports the export of flightplans in AAX format. I don't want to imply to buy another payware just to import flightplans into the AAX, but those who own FSC and the AAX have a good reason to update now:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/69946-flight-simulator-commander-93/

Just a heads up: FS Commander now supports the export of flightplans in AAX format. I don't want to imply to buy another payware just to import flightplans into the AAX, but those who own FSC and the AAX have a good reason to update now:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/69946-flight-simulator-commander-93/

And pls. take a look at this document as it names important restrictions for the use with the AAX: http://www.aerosoft2.de/downloads/fscx/Update-FlightSimCommander-9.3-de-en-fr.pdf