Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

Taking pictures on Airlines a no no?

I'm sure all of us who have traveled on airlines take particular joy in documenting our trips, both for those with an interest in aviation and without, but especially for us airliner freaks.

Just look at all the you tube videos of takeoffs and landings.   Have any of you been asked by airline staff to not take photos, either in the plane or outside at the gate?  I never have, except in India, where I believe they mention in their travel literature or the passenger safety briefing that photography is prohibited.  I will be traveling on vacation to India this summer, and most likely, I won't feel deterred even in Indian airspace as I have sneaked some shots before without any reprimand, but I will remain cautious nonetheless.   I can't imagine not taking photos or possibly a short video, as I love recreating the experience in the sim and want to replicate details as much as possible, even down to the accuracy of airline gate assignments at the terminals in my AFCADS!

See this story, as it relates to airline policy on the subject of passenger photography.  I won't let it stop me from taking out my camera, as it seems more pertinent to the airlines being concerned about passengers documenting embarrasing situations, but even that is up for debate.    

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/05/15/184290151/take-your-seat-the-no-photography-sign-is-lit

Taking photos in and around the many airports in Greece which also serve as military bases is a big no-no. You might even end up in jail for spying: http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/12/newsid_2518000/2518385.stm.  There are prominent 'no photography' signs in terminals and on perimeter fences, and it's common for cabin crew to warn landing passengers accordingly.

As for taking photos or videos en route - I'd have thought the drawbacks of irritating all of your customers with petty restrictions would outweigh the benefits of avoiding occasional mildly embarrasing stuff on YouTube or whatever.  I've not heard of any European airlines taking a similar stance.

Depends on what your photographing, where you are doing it, what segment of the flight it is during. I've never had issues in the US, it may also because I take 90% of my photos using my iPhone. If you read most of the safety briefing cards or the prohibited equipment section of the magazine, you will see that personal photos are allowed but you cannot photograph airline crew/procedures/documents ect.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

NPR had this story last week.  Passengers were surprised to learn of this when they started documenting an in-flight incident.  A passenger started to "channel her inner Whitney Houston," which the crew decided was a no-no.  I'm sure the crew's response to the woman was appropriate, but when people started to shoot photos of American Idol on American Airlines, they were told in no uncertain terms to put their cameras away.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/05/15/184290151/take-your-seat-the-no-photography-sign-is-lit

We allow cameras to be used on board to take photo's provided you're not getting in anyone's way or invading their privacy (not on takeoff as per the rules), just no images of the flight deck or galley.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

The American Airlines policy in that article says it best:

"The use of still and video cameras, film or digital, is permitted only for recording of personal events. Unauthorized photography or video recording of airline personnel, other customers, aircraft equipment or procedures is strictly prohibited."

This means you can photograph or film the scenery out the window in flight, your kids or your family or traveling partner or yourself on a flight. I see no problem there

I agree filming flight crew and other passengers should not be permitted and is a liability for the airline. It is unfortunate when passengers do film another passenger who lost the plot and post it up on YouTube. To be honest these are people with some sort of stress related or mental health issue that should seek help. Filming them for Youtube entertainment is not going to help anyone.

Flight Crews have to deal with a lot as well so I think it lacks class to film them doing their jobs. It is not like they come around to your jobs and film you, so don't film them either (unless you ask for permission first).

I have been told not to film the landing or takeoff out the window in the past by flight crew (which is considered a procedure) but I will admit I ignore that rule. They just say not to but don't do anything to stop you.

Cheers

Matthew Kane