Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

Game launcher application?

I have been running into recurring OOMs in FSX, even with windows 7 64bit as my OS, ever since the middle of last year.  Apparently all the new high fidelity addons are starting to take a toll on my system.  I am hoping to lessen the chance of these issues by shutting down unnecessary applications while I run FSX, and I remember back about 2 years ago or so when it was recommended to use a special game launcher application that was specifically designed to shut down extraneous applications and processes.   I had uninstalled this application because one of the gurus (I think Bojote/*******?) said it was unnecessary on a modern I7 system, but alas, I have  such a system and I'm plagued by excessive memory usage by background apps.   I am not a novice, as I have the OS and FSX tuned according to NickN, with the fsx.cfg optimized by *******'s online tool, but I feel like some other non FSX programs I run are using up precious memory resources, and this application should do the trick.

Anyone remember what this file was called?

I don't.

But I also don't think shutting down minor programs/services will help either.

What I've found is that I have to turn down driver level AA settings in addition to balancing LOD radius and cloud densities to avoid OOMS with certain payware.

I create and save custom cfg's depending on addons I use. For example when using the NGX I load a cfg with LOD 5.5 instead of my preferred 6.5 (max slider in game equals 4.5). And with NGX in Orbx I go back to LOD 4.5 and so on.

You can monitor your VAS with a nifty program called Process Explorer (freeware). When FSX approaches 4gb expect an OOM.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The OOM error is because the FSX process itself has run out of address space. It has nothing to do with how many background apps your running or the amount of RAM in your system (if you don't have enough physical RAM, the system will use the paging file). You have a memory leak or you're simply bumping into the limits of the amount of RAM a 32-bit application like FSX can use. Disable any unnecessary addons and set the LOD_RADIUS in your FSX back to the default of 4.5.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Thanks for the replies.   I have left LOD radius untouched from default, anytime I had tried bumping it up perf always suffered, so I never tried since years ago.  I have always been cognizant of the user's responsibility to adjust in game sliders commensurate with the complexity of the addons being run.  For instance, I first thought clouds were the culprit, but I use 512 freeware clouds/sky textures, not REX super duper 1024 or higher HD sets.  

I am just puzzled with the newfound OOMs, because for the most part, my software, addons and hardware have been largely the same for the past 2-3 years, it's only since last fall I have experienced OOMs after long flights.   This was behavior I always had and expected years ago when flying PMDG heavies across the pond on a 32bit OS, now it seems anytime I have a flight over 2 hours I get an OOM, very frustrating.   I will chalk it up to the NGX, and the combination of addons and the impact of the area I am arriving at.   Looks like I will have to adjust some sliders and AI traffic down in anticipation from now on.

Dang, I wish I could remember that application, it was all the rage here in AVSIM some years back.   I still feel that may make a small difference.