Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

What interesting plane is this? (airliner)

Can't say I've ever seen or noticed a plane with twin rear engines like this before.

jbp7JB9pNJkiIR.jpg

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Hangar Chat" to "Real Aviation Photos". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Things that make you go HUM! Looks Russian, will do some research and get back to you. You have sparked my interest thanks, Cpt out.

Super VC10 Finally found it. No for some research. The VC10 is often compared to the larger Soviet Ilyushin Il-62 Cpt out.

Hi RJ,

It's a IL-62. The VC10 has a different windscreen and eyebrow config. Also the intake on the wingroot of the VC10 looks more like a CD/DVD slot, where the IL-62 looks more like the mouth of Bender from Futurama :He He:

Diego.

Thanks man they are both interesting aircraft. Hard to tell from the book I have. I knew it was one or the other. I would be interested to see the structure of the tail and how vibration would play a role in the tail with quad engines. Very interesting design. I would like to see both in real life. I have a trip to the USSR coming up at the end of July will have to see if I can find time for some site seeing. Awesome picture and thanks for sparking my interests in both aircraft. When you say intake those engines have intakes on the front of the engine. They are very similar in design. Love to see one modeled. Maybe we could con Malviz into doing one. I am going to dig deeper into the two aircraft. Now I am really interested. Happy Flying Gentlemen, Cpt out.

Interesting findings on these two aircraft.

The IL-62 was designed by Illyushin and built by KAPO. Its first flight was 03JAN1963 Introduction IL-62 MAR1967 and the IL-62M in 1974. Primary users of the craft are: Rossiya, Air Koryo, Russian Air Force, Urkraine Air Enterprise. They were produced from 1963-1995: 292 (5 prototypes, 94 IL-62's and 193 IL-62M) I have found only two for sale. The funny thing of the design is that the VC10 was manufactured by Vickers-Armstrongs  with its first flight 29JUN1962 its introduction was BOAC 29Apr1964 The VC10 Primary users were BOAC, East African Airways, Ghana Airways, and the Royal Air Force. Produced from 1962-1970 with 54 being built. It is funny planes of similar design were produced by two different countries during the days of the Iron Curtain. If you search through aviation history you will find similar design contrasts through out the age of the Cold War and the Iron curtain. I guess that is why this always draws my attention. I was trained to fight the Russian Army in the first part of my Naval Career. We even studied the Soviet War Doctrine. Half way through my career we took on a new role. Russia was no longer our main threat and we began learning many things about the Kremlin and what happened on the other side. This just fuels my quest for information as we progress into the future. I will continue to study the design of both and add them to the list of my personal research. Thanks to VeryBumpy for giving me another angle into the design of Russian Firms versus the Design of Allied companies. Very interesting. Cpt out.

When you say intake those engines have intakes on the front of the engine.

I meant the intakes or more like vents on the leading edge near/on the wingroots.

One thing I didn't know is that the VC10 is still the fastest subsonic bird to do the Atlantic crossing. That is COOL!

Also, the RAF passenger VC10's have rear-facing seats! COOL #2! lol

Interesting video on RAF VC10's:

Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3sUd0OPv04

Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C82AtYBNuc

Website full of VC10 stories: http://www.vc10.net/index2.html

More info on flying the VC10.

http://propspistonsandoldairliners.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/flying-vc-10.html

Diego

Figured that after looking closely. Sorry if I insulted you, didn't mean to. Thanks for sharing those videos. It is truly an awesome airplane. I just wish we could find someone to make an accurate model of either one. The RAF still has them in use I guess by the comments made about the middle east theaters. I would love to fly one. They appear to have the general setup of a 3 man crew which would lesson the work load on the crew. I want one now. Malviz may be our man but I don't know if he would show interest since the market for such a craft would be limited. Still an awesome design. Adding you as a friend by the way it seems we share the same interest. Cpt out.