Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

wether you want weather or WEATHER...

As you already know, I am the kind of simmer who resists desperately to have more than one simulator at the same time. It's 

really difficult for me to mentally deal with using more than one of this programs at the same time, specially when they 

overlap like X-Plane and LM P3D. DCS World has it's success (with me...) most probably because it covers yet another area of 

flight simulation, while performing beautifully in as far as flight and systems modeling are concerned.

But having p3d and x-plane10 at the same time on my PC is, believe it or not, a nightmare for me :-(

Well, they are now, and I am trying hard not to uninstall one of them, trying to find the best on both and to forget about the worst.

Today I was off from work, so, I took the morning to test a few mods I did for the default Beech C90. I played with the radii of gyration, control phase-out and trim tab settings. I am seriously trying to find out that there is some truth in Austin's sentences like - "it is perfect the way it is" - when I ask him about some overdone effects, and I am also trying to figure out what an aerodynamics engineer from Romania, who I met in DCS World and introduced X-Plane10 to. He, after a first rather negative evaluation of the simulator, wrote back to me a couple of months ago saying that after giving X-Plane10 a bit more of his (precious) spare time, found the simulator and it's flight dynamics really very good, and, in his own words, capable of the same levels of accuracy in provided by DCS. According to him, the "secret" lays in having access to precise data for the aircraft we're designing, correct choice of such basic parameters as radii of gyration, prop, etc... (speaking of prop aircraft of course...).

Well, I do admit that my mods did provide me with a much more stable and credible C90, but I really do not have any scientific base to support those mods, nor did I have access to precise data for that aircraft, so, I guessed, and will continue to guess here and there, until I find something worth uploading here for you to try :-)

At the same time I am for the first time really feeling specially attracted by the wonderful scenery we can set for our X-Plane10 installs, without having to spend a single peny!!! This morning I was updating my OSM+Autogen files, and while the downloads progressed and I was unable to start X-Plane10, I decided to fire up P3D, load first the amazing Aerosoft AXE and test it with RWW feeded by AS2012. Well, it's trully a mix of good and bad aspects when using P3D. The aircraft is superb in terms of what is modelled, but flies far from what my experience flying the A320 simulator at TAP's headquarters revealled, and I do have that experience very present in my mind (a full hour of circuits around LPPT and LPMA, under the most adverse weather conditions, and testing a few failures as well...).

Then I fired the amazing PMDG 737 NGX (I shouldn't be using it with P3D, I know... Sorry!). Well, all I can think is - PLEASE PMDG HURRY UP BRINGING YOUR FIRST ADD-ON FOR X-Plane10 TO LIVE!!! The 737 NGX is an amazing add-on, like every airliner  designed by PMDG for FSX, but, fail an engine and see the outcome... And while the Aerosoft AXE is said to be used under normal flight conditions and not for simulation of any failures, the PMDG is designed to give us a simulation of failure scenarios as well! Failling an engine on an airliner, or any aircraft type in FSX is a joke compared to RL, and to X-Plane10 as well. X-Plane really shines on this sort of details!

Then, there is the weather, and the tittle of my post... Wether you want weather or WEATHER!

Guys, I was flying with one of the best (if not the best) weather injector for FSX / P3D, under severe weather condition, including several embeded CBs all around me poping from a mant of stratocumulus. The aircraft, specially the Aerosoft AXE, did bounce a bit, and the looks around me were amazing, and really a lot more "realistic" than the graphics in X-plane10, but, BUT!!!! should it be RL and some of the clouds I crossed would have caused severe damage to my aircraft, or at least cause my passenger to feel rather unconfortable. In P3D, it was looking beautiful, that's true, but feeling miserably irrealistic! In X-Plane10, weather, even if not in terms of graphical rendering, is a lot more realistic in it's effects when you fly, and really forces you to make decisions like pilots take in RL! It does need some tweaking in terms of up/down drafts, as well as in terms of how ice accumulates in your aircraft (the present algorithm is just a bit basic...), but it shows it's effects in a way that is far ahead of anything we can experiment in FSX/P3D, and... there is no hope that things will ever change in this area...

Enjoying both, but desperately trying to settle for just one (two, because DCS will definitely stay!!!)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I uninstalled FSX a few days ago, quite simply because I don't have enough time to channel my energies into both, and to me XP merits the time because it is going somewhere, and because it looks great without installing 10,000,000 addons!

I uninstalled FSX a few days ago, quite simply because I don't have enough time to channel my energies into both, and to me XP merits the time because it is going somewhere, and because it looks great without installing 10,000,000 addons!

:clapping:  :drinks:

My intentions are, the investment in a significant update CPU wise. Either flight summing is going to be an atttempt to help replace those great years of being involved with "full size" aviation, or it isn't.

I will not waste $$$ on hardware, just to impose limitations on software.......when one or two sims won't cover all that I'm interested in. So really, what's the point of creating limitations?

If that was my mindset, then I'll just skip the whole idea of a new CPU to run XP, FSX,FS9, DCS, etc.

I could just sit here, save lots of money, and complain. :)

it looks great without installing 10,000,000 addons

+10,000,000

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Funny, in that both you and the O.P. are uninstalling flight programs, and that I with purchasing XPX, and finding all the wonderful features it has, realized it finally got me off my one-developer (Microsoft) mindset and the exclusive use of its products (FS9/FSX). Driving to work the other day, I thought back on the features that Flight Unlimited III brought to the table, and that they very much mirror today, what XPX is bringing to the table with on-going refinements. Using XPX (and enjoying it so much!!!!) made me long for the great water craft, atmospherics, of FUII, as well as the detail of the Seattle area and islands thereof. Also, that within it's structure (like XPX,) you could add on a ton of animation, class objects, and such, that I went to my computer desk drawer, and INSTALLED the entire package, as well as the scenery from Flight Unlimited II (San Francisco Bay area and surrounding countryside. Today, we have very fast, very inexpensive hard drive storage solutions. Today, we have very powerful CPU/GPU combo's that make these programs scream, rather than limp when they first RTM'd.

So, the bottom line for me...is that I now have a truly FABULOUS flight sim computer, with XPX, FS9,FSX, FUII all resident, and I now think of what TYPE of flying, and what VISUALS, I wish combined with that flying (IFR, VFR combo of both) and as they say....on a 1 TB latest model 10,000 rpm Velociraptor, HAVE IT ALL, at my beck 'n call! :)

BTW, if anybody else also has Flight Unlimited II sitting in a drawer, you just might want to reinstall it on your present, high end system, 'cause you know why? It will run like cream n' butter, equal to XPX.

Why one? We all invested hundreds to thousands of dollars on this hobby....enjoy them all, have them all, and FLY THEM ALL!

Very 'if-you-have-it, fly-it' busy, and happily-so, Ses

Well Mitch, I have a full time job, a wife, 3 kids, a cat, an Xbox, and a simming PC.

As you imagine my simming time is rather limited, and I just decided the other day that it was spread out over too many sims.

"Like butter scraped over too much bread" as Bilbo would say.

So by trimming out the older stuff leaving only XP10 I get more quality simming time. :)

And... having more than one sim multiplies the amounts you spend in add-ons... Also, after something gives me what I feel to be a more realistic overall representation of flight, operations, etc..., why using another, not so good, sim?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

So by trimming out the older stuff leaving only XP10 I get more quality simming time. :)

Well said. And you don't have to waste time with endless tweaking.

Well Mitch, I have a full time job, a wife, 3 kids, a cat, an Xbox, and a simming PC.

As you imagine my simming time is rather limited, and I just decided the other day that it was spread out over too many sims.

"Like butter scraped over too much bread" as Bilbo would say.

I hear ya...time is an asset that most don't have abundance of these days....sim as you can!

Mitch