Sign in to follow this  
moria

A new computer only for FSX and P3D

Greetings all.

So, at Xmas, I got into FSX havhing been a long time hobby developer in other 3D games and got hooked.. Badly hooked. About this time last year, I built a new PC for home use, but did NOT take into account some of the specifics for FSX as I hadn't started playing then.

As a result, whilst the PC is great, it is not a great design for FSX, although it is a great design for general use, so the time has come to build my FSX pc.

I have a number of givens and druthers that i need to accomplish.. As follows...

1). Not so worried about frame rates as long as it is smooth and the response is there (frames rates are important, smoothness more so)

2). I use a lot of scenery and airports, i fly a lot in the uk and have all the uk2000 airports. The london area drops my current machine to a stuttering wreck with all the uk2000 airports set pretty much to minimum

3). I use my traffic 5.4 pro to add some life with settings at around 15% but would like to increase that to around 20 - 25%

4). I use gex, utx and gsx worldwide and also opus and fex for clouds, weather and textures

5). I dont expect to run on every slider hard right, but i do expect to have power to spare, even when flyiing around London

6). Want to be ready if and when P3D goes 64 bit and can use multi core :)

7) machine will ONLY run FSX, P3D and appropriate addons.

Okay based on that list, here' s my selection and would really appreciate any input from all you people that know what they are talking ajbout, unlike me

Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V pro ATX motherboard 1155 socket Z77

Chip. Intel i7-3770k. 3.5 GhZ. With a view to overclocking to 4.5 if i can get it nice and stable and cool enough with air cooling, or at least to 4.2 min

Memory. Make not decided, 16 gig 1866hZ C9 ram in 4 sticks

Cooler. Cooler master Hyper 212 EVO R2

Power supply. Corsair modular 650 or 700

Disks. Plain CD/DVD drive, probably LG and Samsung 512gB pro SSD

GPU. ASUS Nvidia GTX 680 4gB

Case. (If it fits. Still need to check the cooler and gpu) LIAN- LI A05FNB

Would really appreciate your input on this to get the best setup I can for now and for what may come in the next year or so.

Regards

Graham

For RAM i'd go with two 8GB sticks rather than four 4GB as the more sticks you have the higher the workload for your memory controller especially when over-clocking. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

@@moria - it looks ok, but i don't like the Cooler, ivy bridge have some issues with temps so i recommend you to go for at least noctua nh-d14 for air cooling, or corsair H100 which is in the same price range with nouctua, but you should be able to OC at least 100MHZ higher.
However, for high overcloking, you have to de-lidde your CPU. We have an excelent tutorial here on AVSIM:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/387006-ivy-bridge-pictorial-de-lidding-guide/

And @@McLaren is right, allways look for two sticks for RAM. BTW, you don't need more then 8GB if you plan to use PC only for FSX. Anyway, look for two sticks with at least 1600MHz and lower CL.

And just in my opinion, I'd go for more power also, at least 850w with 80+ Gold certification. 750w should be enough, but again, that's just me - i have 1200w+ corsair PSU %5Burl=

Many thanks for the input and advice :)

OK, 2 x 8gig ram (I'll stick with 16 just in case P3D pulls off the 64 bit version .  Is 1866 good for this or should I go higher?

Cooler to be a nh-d14, meaning the ram can be no higher than 44mm from my reading today.

Also power suppy upped..  850 with 80+ gold ...  done :)

I suspect that on this build I will not delidde and try for 4.5 without an increase in voltage if poss.

Again,  many thanks,  very much appreciated.

Regards

Graham

You would be fine with the psu size that you were looking at, originally. The recommendation for having a really large one, is when the psu being used is not of quality. You will want 150% to 175% more wattage than our build says it needs, but more than that is not necessary.