Sign in to follow this  
deltafan

DX10 and SweetFX 1.4

Hey guys, tried reading through the other SweetFX topics and could find my answer.

Recently converted to DX10, all going smooth so far! :) Only hitch is that when I try to install SweetFX 1.4, it doesn't even affect the graphics at all. I know that some AA can conflict with SweetFX, so I've made sure all AA is disabled in NVIDIA Inspector, in FSX itself, and for good measure, in the SweetFX config, still no go. I've installed all the SweetFX files as per the readme into the main FSX folder, including the specific DX10/11 files. What am I doing wrong?

Hopefully you are not trying to use the D3d11.dll.  FSX is not compatible with DX11.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I don't have a file named D3d11.dll. Just the ones that came with the SweetFX ZIP file, the d3d9 and dxgi files and associated SweetFX directory, injector.ini, shader.fx, and SweetFX settings and preset.txt files. Also just tried having the DX9 only, then the DX10 only files, no luck there either. It does work when I disable DX10 preview, but I find FSX unflyable in DX9 mode anymore and would rather fly DX10 without SweetFX if it's not going to work. However, I've read of plenty of people getting SweetFX to work in FSX DX10 mode, so it's obviously something on my end somewhere.

I don't have a file named D3d11.dll.

I was just asking as you mentioned the dx11 files in your OP and DX11 is not compatible with FSX and may never be (never say never). 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Download the SweetFX-Configurator_standalone_1.3.3, make sure you have followed the instructions for pasting the DX10 files and folders from SweetFX-1.4, and try using the Configurator. You can use it live in game to change settings on the fly and apply them immediately to see the results in terms of frame rate and image quality. Make sure you do not have any remainders of old dx9.dlls, etc in your FSX root folder, or old ENB stuff, much of this will interfere with SweetFX.

I don't know if this helps, I hope it does. This site has some nice FSX presets as well: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/136/

Use the 'Scroll-Lock' key to enable/disable SweetFX in game, and use the 'Pause-Break' key to reload setting changes you made in the Configurator live in game.

Hi Deltafan. I went through all the frustrations with sweetfx then discovered that I had to install Microsoft Visual C ++ 2010 redistributable (X64 and X86) and also the 2008 redistributable. After that Sweetfx worked perfectly. Couldn't get the AA to provide a suitable effect, but boy the screen sure looks pretty now.

Still having terrible transparency shimmers (trees etc). I am running Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit and Zotac GTX570 Amp and I5 3750k clocked at 4.2.

Play with your SGSS settings, Bob, and make sure that the entry in the fsx.cfg agrees with the Inspector setting. MultiSamplesPerPixel is tied to Transparency SuperSampling (SGSS), and should be the same number as that set in NI, otherwise FSX will take the lower of the two numbers.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Tried running the sim through the Configurator tool and made sure I had 32-bit and 64-bit versions of C++ 2008 and 2010 and still no luck.

Assuming you have installed SweetFX 1.4 correctly, and it is working correctly (having old dx9 and related .dlls and .fx files from old ENB or other graphics mods in your FSX root directory will cause problems), what I do is load up FSX, then if i want to change or fiddle with SweetFX, load up the Configurator. Scroll-lock enables/disables the added effects on the fly, Pause-break reloads new setting changes you made in the Configurator on the fly. Some good FSX presets can be found here: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/136/

Maybe this does not help, its actually quite simple once you get it setup right. The Configurator has about 15+ subcategories, I use SMAA antialiasing, Bloom, HDR, LumaSharpen, Lift Gamma Gain, Vibrance, and Dither. You can disable Bloom in FSX but enable it using SweetFX.

I've only ever used SweetFX (under DX9 mode), no other mod files to worry about. SFX does work under DX9 mode, it's just getting it working in DX10 mode that's giving me troubles.

As I said you want to make sure any and all traces of old DX9 ENB or SweetFX installs are not present in your FSX root directory or folders. There is a different set of DX10 files you copy to your FSX directory, I know mixing the DX9 and 10 ones will cause problems. Once this is done correctly it should load in automatically with no input from you except using the Scroll-Lock  and Pause-Break keys. Maybe I am missing something here...