Sign in to follow this  
Guest EdrickV

Well, I'm stumped .......(9.1 install problem)

>What a palaver! In fact, had Bill and 'Abytrails' not posted>when they did I would have been seriously looking at doing a>reinstall. That's how much I care about this sim! Certainly,>as it turns out, this would have fixed the registry entry, but>what a waste of time it would have been with no guarantee that>I would have been able to return everything to my current>optimized configuration.>>A resounding thank you to you both!You are most welcome, Mike.I know that some folks might think this a stretch, but I assure you it is the absolute truth:Since first installing FS9 over a year ago on my "development computer," I have yet to had any occasion to "reinstall FS9." In every single instance where I have encountered problems, one or more .cfg files had become corrupted, and replacing/rebuilding them solved the problem.The fs9.cfg file seems to be the one that becomes corrupted most often, although I have had corrupted .flt files as well.My longstanding practice is to make backup copies of all essential .cfg files, such as fs9.cfg, display.cfg, scenery.cfg, and terrain.cfg, as well as my default.flt and default.wx...I've also set all the .dll files in the modules folder to read only so that no third-party add-on can possibly overwrite the FS9 originals. :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest abytrails

I too am glad I was able to contribute in some small way. Many a time I have run into problems which have had the successful resolutions posted in the forums. Truth be known, my much more computer literate older brother helped me through this one, which he often does.Brian Y.

>Since first installing FS9 over a year ago on my "development computer," I have yet to had any occasion to "reinstall FS9.";) How sad is that?This has proved to be one of the most stable software installations and has survived everything I've thrown at it. The trick is to 'throw' with care and pay great attention to detail. FS9.cfg is a case in point and the routine I developed over many months appears to be ensuring ongoing optimum performance and stability. Perhaps others missed it first time around:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=3614&page=3Mike

Guest EdrickV

The ClickTeam installer that seems so popular with people is infamous for screwing up the path registry entry if you install to a temp folder. It doesn't always happen, but since I don't use that installer maker I can't say exactly why. I guess somehow Microsoft missed out on that bit of info."Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."

Guest psouthan

Please help. I am going out of my mind. I have the same problem as the posts above and it seems to me that the solution being offered is to 'changed the EXE Path in the registry to x:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9 but how do you do this. In my case flight simulator is on my s: drive. HOW do I chnge the exe to s: drive?

Guest daveg4otu

1:Run "regedit"(Start/Run- type regedit in the box)2: When the reg box opens , click file/export - and save a copy of the registry somewhere else on your PC - give it a name (EG "Regbackup")- if things go wrong you can restore the registry to its original state by finding the backup file and double clicking.3:In the registry go toHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/MS Games/Flight Simulator/FS9 and double click the FS9 key - it will open in the right hand window.The 4th line is EXE path- change the drive letter to S Close registry -cross fingers, pray and restart machine ,try FSRemember that registry editing can be risky.Dave

Guest psouthan

Hi Dave,Thanks for your reply. When i went to find the hotkeys in the registry I found two folders for fs2004 not one!.../microsoft/flightsim/ However, when i look at the values in both Ithere was no fourth line in either. All it said in there was default..no first , second, third or fourth line? Where are my values for FS9??? Can you help again?Thanks for your troublePaul

Guest daveg4otu

If still no luck - and somehow your registry entries have been partially deleted/scrambled- one possible solution is to rename FS9 as fs9old(do the same with the Docs&settings FS9folder).remove the remaining MSGame/etc registry entries, reinstall FS9 and then rename the new install FS9old2 and rename the FS9old as FS9, delete fs9old2 when your sure everything works.Dave

Guest SoarPics

Hi Paul,Dave has you on the right track. Here's a screen shot of what the registry key is (note the path at the bottom left corner... it's the same path Dave gave you). If possible please post a screen shot of your registry path(s).Thanks,Greghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94731.jpgEdit: Well, Dave is on top of this and beat me to the post. :-)

Guest psouthan

Hi Guys,Thank you for your help. I have now uninstalled flihghtsim again! I know have the values showing but when I came to install the update it still hangs at the point mentioned above by other simmers. What on earth is going on?Here is a screen shot of my registry.Your help is truly appreciated.regardsPaul

Guest daveg4otu

try leaving the update running for an hour or two - this has eventually worked for some people. Before you do the update save your registry so - if it messes up again you can just restore the registry to get the paths back.Dave

Guest psouthan

Hi Dave,Thanks again for your reply. When I install the update it says sucessfuly installed . However, this is not the case as it gets hung at the same place as the post above. Do you still advise leaving it for an hour or so even when it says it has installed sucesfully?RegardsPaul

Guest Roymcm

>I remain of the opinion that>Microsoft should have warned us of this possibility on their>Insider site. I cannot believe they did not know about this>potential pitfall. How realistic is it expect MS to account for every method that can be used to screw up an FS install? Can you say what add on caused this error? Can you sat that it happens 100% of the time? How many thousands of add-ons are there? How many can you test in a day? It should be understood that if you alter the registry, or any of the files that make a clean install of FS, all bets are off with reguard to reliability or support.

Guest psouthan

Well...considering I have wiped my drive clean, uninstalled 45GBytes of scenery and other add-ons and installed FS9 and uninstalled fs9 three times with a CLEAN install...where do you reside now with your comments above?By the way i am still waiting ti get it installed correctly having waisted three days and you say Microsoft is not at fault?Paul