Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

Windows 8.1 - The Start Button Returns

Yep, I may just stay with Win7 for 7 yrs or more. Or until OSX for PCs is released!

I am so glad I didn't upgrade to this fiasco:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/30/start-button-officially-returning-with-windows-81

You can upgrade to Windows 8.1 or just stay with Windows 7, I think I will just stay with Windows 7

Is it me or does that video preview the current Windows 8 touting there's a new Start button somewhere??? If they keep playing games the flop will continue...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

What is wrong with the folks over at MS?...why don't they understand that the START button without the attached Start MENU has not been asked for by ANYONE and will not fix the functionality they broke in Win8.

Geez, MS and Apple...they both blow chunks now since their founders have gone.

Should not wait until it's actually announced rather than believing what's posted on the web?

I use Stardock Software Start8 and its perfect! Same as Windows 7 style.

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Some websites are now saying that a) Win 8.1 won't be out as a release version until "the end of the year" and b ) the Start Button will just dump you back to the Metro UI. Simmo W is right. Apple should take advantage of these fiasco and release OSX for the PC. But then again, Apple has lost interest in the desktop market also.

Apple has lost interest in the desktop market also.

There could be a reason for that.

I use Stardock Software Start8 and its perfect! Same as Windows 7 style.

Yeah I've heard of that one and it looks really good, thanks for bringing it up.

My own preference is with Classic Shell. It does the same basic thing and is completely free, where as Start8 isn't.

There's also something called Pokki too:

http://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu

and there's more options out there for getting the start menu back in Win8, here's a list and review of some:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57496506-292/how-to-get-the-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/

pick and choose!

EDIT:

There could be a reason for that.

Could be they're being silly maybe? :lol: The desktop market is out there and always will be (there's just a number of things that are really awkward to do on a touch screen type of interface), a bit questionable for a business involved with Operating Systems to just ignore it. They can easily do both a desktop and touch screen versions of their OS - why not target everybody instead of excluding potential clients.

At any rate - Not happy with Apple and Microsoft - give one of the many Linux distros a try, you may be surprised how good it is and if you get used to it you will wonder how you ever got along without it. At time of writing Linux Mint offers the best all-round desktop OS alternative.

I don't mind the lack of start button,it's the joystick ficaso that gets me  :angry:

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Could be they're being silly maybe?  The desktop market is out there and always will be (there's just a number of things that are really awkward to do on a touch screen type of interface), a bit questionable for a business involved with Operating Systems to just ignore it. They can easily do both a desktop and touch screen versions of their OS - why not target everybody instead of excluding potential clients.

Microsoft won the desktop market, and Apple moved on. Why keep fighting? Even if Apple did, their products are about controlling the overall experience and having everything work together as a whole, and not about trying to meet everyone's needs like Windows tries to. Not exactly something those looking for a Windows replacement are going to like (and then there's the price of the computers...). Linux would be the better choice in the long run depending on where Microsoft goes.

Windows 8 should have had a boot to desktop option from the beginning. I'm not as concerned about the Start button (which will just take you to the new Start Screen). My desktop is not connected to a touch screen and just about everything I do is with a desktop application, not a Metro one.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Microsoft is trying to fix what it got wrong with its radical makeover of Windows. It's making the operating system easier to navigate and enabling users to set up the software so it starts in a more familiar format designed for personal computers.

The revisions to Windows 8 will be released later this year. The free update, called Windows 8.1, represents Microsoft's concessions to long-time customers taken aback by the dramatic changes to an operating system that had become a staple in households and offices around the world during the past 20 years. Research group IDC has blamed Windows 8 for accelerating a decline in PC sales.

With the release of Windows 8 seven months ago, Microsoft introduced a startup screen displaying applications in a mosaic of interactive tiles instead of static icons. The shift agitated many users who wanted the option to launch the operating system in a mode that resembled the old setup. That choice will be provided in Windows 8.1.

However, Microsoft isn't bringing back the start menu on the lower left corner of the screen. Windows has offered the button for accessing all programs and settings on every previous version of the operating system since 1995. Microsoft believes the startup screen replaces the need for a button, but its omission has ranked among the biggest gripes about Windows 8.

Microsoft aims to simplify with Windows 8.1 - http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_WINDOWS_TUNEUP?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-05-30-18-33-37

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

However, Microsoft isn't bringing back the start menu on the lower left corner of the screen. Windows has offered the button for accessing all programs and settings on every previous version of the operating system since 1995. Microsoft believes the startup screen replaces the need for a button, but its omission has ranked among the biggest gripes about Windows 8.

Microsoft aims to simplify with Windows 8.1 - http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_WINDOWS_TUNEUP?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-05-30-18-33-37

In other words they aren't listening and trying to push back yet again. People want the start button back at the bottom of the desktop screen not a re-hack of Metro. These people are truly a piece of work...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Could be they're being silly maybe?

Or perhaps they both see better opportunities elsewhere?