Sign in to follow this  
TisZRH

Several freezes only on 2nd/3rd/etc climbout of the day

I hate bringing this topic up again but I've experienced it in the past and now since getting FTX Global I'm actually getting an OOM message versus just a 1-2 minute freeze. The interesting thing was that I didn't change the view and I wasn't touching anything plus the plane was at around FL200. I admittedly run my settings hard but I'm using DX10 so for the most part I'm ok. Just wondering if there is any more to this or if it's simply an FSX limitation.

Brandon Sherzer

I hate bringing this topic up again but I've experienced it in the past and now since getting FTX Global I'm actually getting an OOM message versus just a 1-2 minute freeze. The interesting thing was that I didn't change the view and I wasn't touching anything plus the plane was at around FL200. I admittedly run my settings hard but I'm using DX10 so for the most part I'm ok. Just wondering if there is any more to this or if it's simply an FSX limitation.

Are you running any photoreal scenery? If so turn off the ones you will not be flying over as FSX loads it all regardless of whether your near it or not.

Also, if your using REX textures set your clouds to 2048 (4096 is a huge memory hog and visually looks no different to 2048 unless your running a huge resolution monitor)

I don't use photoscenery and my REX clouds are 1024 DXT5. I'll have to test more as it might have been a fluke but even before this I've always wondered why I'd get freezes on the second leg of the session. Otherwise, everything's running well and I don't get OOM's in DX10.

Brandon Sherzer

It normally freezes because FSX has just loaded your entire 1st leg, and now your asking it to depart again and do another leg, normally the VAS usage (which controls OOM) goes down enough on its own to allow the 2nd leg, but sometimes, especially if your flying in a dense airport region like NY, London etc it just cant cope with both legs. I always recommend restarting the simulator between each leg - I know it break realism a bit but its nowhere near as frustrating as an OOM with 1000ft left to go.

Thanks, that's kind of what I had thought. I wasn't in a dense area at the time but unfortunately FSX is so old that it can go at any time.

Brandon Sherzer

I don't fly for a VA so I can't say, just probably push the sim a little too hard. I notice with FTX Global now it struggles a little more in these spots, probably related to the increased autogen. I'll do another test tonight to see if I simply freeze for 15-30 seconds which I can live with or if I crash again. I had to restart the program and I've seen errors in the past like this if it isn't the first time I've opened FSX in a session.

Brandon Sherzer

Just as an update/finding it looks like what happens is that the first leg goes fine, I sit on the ground for 45 minutes or so and then take off and when the sim goes to dump the airport and it's AI traffic it crashes. I'll have to take a look at some CFG settings but as has been said I think it's just a little too much for FSX.

Brandon Sherzer

Just as an update/finding it looks like what happens is that the first leg goes fine, I sit on the ground for 45 minutes or so and then take off and when the sim goes to dump the airport and it's AI traffic it crashes. I'll have to take a look at some CFG settings but as has been said I think it's just a little too much for FSX.

I played around with this a little more and it is indeed the AI traffic that causes issues but I'm able to run it now, just have to endure a ~2 minute freeze when it goes to dump the last airport I was at. A little annoying but a small price to pay to fly multiple legs with high settings.

Brandon Sherzer