Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

Some great advice from Bill Leaming about V9.1 update...

"Right click on the fs9.exe file, and check the Properties option. Now, click on the Version tab. If the version still shows 9.0, then no, you didn't receive the full benefit of the update.":-eek I had the whole thing wrong until I read this simple advice from Bill. Now my sim runs like it's been patched versus the same reported issues still plaguing my system. Instead of going by what the 'Help About' menu was reporting while I was in FS, my main executable wasn't updated at all due to my 'NO-CD' hack .exe file. I

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest Eric

Hello, Why you don't read in this forum or Ms web site before??, I read your post and you confuse more then anything. http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul...9.1_english.aspYou are the same said:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=214558&page=4Your patch is installed correctly... Microsoft didn't do away with the 'No-CD' '.exe' if we have it installed. The patch is not going to require you to have CD#4 in the drive to start Flight Simulator. Go fly and have fun. Some people have to make this thing more complicated than it is...BestEric

Hi, "Now I'm off to test once and for all do I still have an Autogen slowdown problem... "Who said the autogen slowdown is related to fs9.exe? What's about the *.dll updated and the generic.bgl roles in this update, and the relation with *.dll and *.exeI recommend to use the fs9.1 original.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

:-roll I know Eric and your right, I was wrong... I didn't read the documentation clearly enough and figured since the 'Help About' menu in FS9 reported Version9.1 I was updated. It wasn't until I read Bill's post and took a second look that I decided to reinstall the patch with the original .exe and see if I could get the FS9.exe to report it was up to 9.1 as well.Once that was the case I fired up FS2k4 and saw more of a difference than before. I posted this suggestion here again because I also realized this simple step could be so easily overlooked and prevent someone from having the full version of the patch.Sorry for jumping fences here... (-:

FS2020 

Chris that's what was supposed to get fixed in the patch. There was a memory leak that got addressed. If one doesn't have the full version of the patch, they could very well miss out on all the updated features including the fixed memory leak. I know there is going to be a slowdown when flying over dense scenery but that's a whole other issue from a memory leak....

FS2020 

Hi, """Chris that's what was supposed to get fixed in the patch. There was a memory leak that got addressed. If one doesn't have the full version of the patch, they could very well miss out on all the updated features including the fixed memory leak. I know there is going to be a slowdown when flying over dense scenery but that's a whole other issue from a memory leak...."""The generic.bgl was the main problems for performance compare to default, just read the ms web site.Ms web sitean overwrite of the updated generic.bgl, you will lose significant fixes to performance and autogen included in the Flight Simulator 2004:Overwrite of the updated generic.bgl means: default fs2004 9.0 generic.bgl or 3rd generic.bgl party addons.What's about the new *.exe role? Did you think when Ea sport release patch of NHL, NBA or Madded with a new *.exe only for the protection of cd? The size of the *.exe which means nothing; example, you can have few edited with the same size of the new *.exePs: A real big problems in Fs is, 50% don't read with 3rd party addons install, do not check the performance of the addons before installing or simply do not understand because of the primary language. 50% of post should never be posted here from the patch or addons.Recommend to use only Ms files. such as Ms *.exe etc.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Uninstall the patch-Delete the backup folder in fs2004 root-To avoid any error before installing the patch, only restore the original files before:From the fs2004 Cd 1GAMEfs9.exedisplay.cfgdevices.cfgterrain.cfgCopy them to you fs2004 root folder fs2004-Restore the default fs2004 generic.bgl file:-1. Insert the "Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight" CD-ROM number 3 in your CD-ROM drive.-2. Select MSGAME8.CAB and open it-3 Copy generic.bgl to Flight Simulator 9SceneryGenericscenery.)-From the CD 2 MsGame3Cab.zip (total of 32 *.DLL)ABLSCPT.DLLACONTAIN.DLLAI_PLAYR.DLLATC.DLLCONTROLS.DLLDEMO.DLLDYNAMIC.DLLFACILITIES.DLLFE.DLLFLIGHT.DLLFSUI.DLLG2D.DLLG3D.DLLGLOBAL.DLLgps.DLLgps_export.DLLINSTRUCTOR.DLLMAIN.DLL,mpchat.DLL,MULTIPLAYER.DLL,PANELS.DLLREALITY.DLLSIM1.dllSimScheduler.DLLSOUND.DLLSYMMAP.DLLTERRAIN.DLLTraffic.DLLUTIL.DLLVISUALFX.DLLWeather.DLLWINDOW.DLLCopy *.dll to your fs2004moduleRe-install the patchThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Hi all.I'll add my .02 here at the peril that this thread will get locked or removed.The No CD file will not adversely affect ANYTHING in the functioning of the sim. That file simply ties together the various DLLs and starts the linking process, and opens the window(s) for the sim. It adds no "fixed" content. After the patch is installed, you can freely start the sim with this No CD file, and enjoy the benefits of the patch, without problem or loss of use.Dick

Hi, "After the patch is installed, you can freely start the sim with this No CD file, and enjoy the benefits of the patch, without problem or loss of use."Depend on what's test your have done. Some payware addons do not works with it or fs9.exe (9.0), which many use them and they works and others later will works with an updated product to works with the official fs9.exe (9.1) and not the original fs9.exe (9.0)ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Hi Chris.Exactly which payware addons do not work with the No CD file after the patch has been applied? The new version of FSUIPC certainly works. I do not own other payware addons, but they should be easy to check.If the addons worked with the No CD file before the patch, they should certainly continue to work with the No CD after the patch. Why would they not? Nothing has altered with their programs or with the No CD file. In the case of FSUIPC and Active Camera, the new versions should work... or there is a serious programming issue, as those updates should have been backwardly compatible. If a new addon is developed that uses file length, checksums or file property data to read if the official patch's exe is present, then I would consider that a programming error. Microsoft's own help menu reads if the patch has been applied, without need to poison an application because the original FS9.exe has been altered.The DLLs are what's important, not the EXE file.Dick

Hi, Active camera fully updated for 9.1, only works with the new FS9.exe from the patch 9.1If you test Ultimate traffic, fs9.exe (9.0) there is some feature TCAS gauge, palm spotter issue with the product, until they update the product for the new fs9.exe (9.1)-There may others payware or addons as well, still not test.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Hi Chris.Active Camera must be checking for the presence of the updated EXE file in order to work. This is a programming decision that is not the best. It should be checking for the presence of the new DLLs that it will access. FS9.exe adds no content to the sim.That being said, this is still an addon problem. The sim itself works flawlessly. The addon producers should probably warn their customers that their products check for the presence of the updated FS9.exe file or abort.This has nothing to do with the functionality of the No CD file, but everything to do with the addon, and how it checks for which sim version is running. It's the addon that is failing because it has been programmed to fail unless the Updated EXE is used.Dick

Guest tezbedz

Hi ,I am sorry but I find it annoying that people complain that something does not work, was not needed, is too late, does not do enough.I have XP pro with SP2 installed, last week (thursday I think) I updated my graphics drivers (Omega) then saw the new patch, read the "readme"file, reinstalled original FS9.exe checked *.dll with originals and Generic.bgl.I installed the patch it took about 45 mins, I have flown a couple of flights offline and also tried stage 1 in the BOTA Race, FS9 performs better< I still have an occasional stutter, but, I have had no crashes and the new Mesh resolution looks great.The best advice anyone should have, (It should be "stickied" to every product) is RTFM. People do not write them for fun.NB: This post is not aimed at anyone in particular, and is not meant to cause offence, if it does then go RTFM, Fr Bill will surely recommend an "authorised"version.Cheers and happy patchingTerry

Guest Anticyclone

"Active Camera must be checking for the presence of the updated EXE file in order to work. This is a programming decision that is not the best. It should be checking for the presence of the new DLLs that it will access. FS9.exe adds no content to the sim."Dick,Unless you know more about the FS9.exe structure (and the FS structure in general) I won't bother readers with technical information (then we can maybe discuss further throug PM). FS9.exe adds important data to Active Camera (i.e. memory offsets, specific addresses and pointers). The program checks for the presence of a few FS dll' only (example ACONTAIN.DLL for the trafic tracking view and the built-in TCAS). Unfortunately that is far to be sufficient to run AC.So if FS9.exe is different the add-on might fail to proceed. One can't imagine how much interesting data is contained in the fs exe.Since most of the Active Camera functions have been developped WITHOUT SDK, the rest is the result of "hacking" or let's say "FS memory studying". No miracle, if it is not documented you have to discover data and create appropriate routines if applies. It should be a piece of cake to check the presence of dll's that FS9.exe will access. Do you think the FS view index is located in a dll? Where do you think we found information in order to create a scenery window point and mouse click for the padlock ? Not only in a dll."It's the addon that is failing because it has been programmed to fail unless the Updated EXE is used".Now you know why the add-on is "failing"Regards,edit : corrected the name of Dick (was addressed to Chris)

Hi Serge.Anyone that is using Active Camera for the updated version of FS9 can email me for info regarding a further investigation into the No CD file and Active Camera.I can't discuss that further at AVSIM; in fact I'm surprised the moderators have allowed this discussion to go this far. I yet believe there may be a possible solution for your users that want a No CD file usage. They could contact me by email for further discussion.Dick

Guest Kilstorm

One thing is for sure...a lot of debate and confussion could be avoid if MS would release Flight Sim not needing a CD to verify. I'm not saying that they shouldnt safe guard their software just consider other ways than by a CD verify.