Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

Some great advice from Bill Leaming about V9.1 update...

Guest byoung

I disagree. If the update was written correctly there should not be any RTFM. A majority of updates I have installed since Windows and InstallShield, have been intelligent enough to handle most sitiuations. This update FAILS Patching Software 101!Microsoft's update should have detected the different FS9.exe (since MOST of the FS 2004 world has it installed) prior to starting the update. If it wasn't the original (the size of the NO CD Hack FS9.exe was much smaller almost half!), Microsoft should have included the FS9.exe as part of the update and WARNED the user that it is going to replace the one in the Flight Simulator 9 folder. In fact, there is a huge benefit that Microsoft distribute the FS9.exe, because then they can force the users to revert back to requiring the CD#4 copy protection scheme (as weak as it is).Now I have a partial update and I feel it is Microsoft's duty to post the proper FS9.exe file on their website so I can complete my update.Just plain COMMON SENSE!!!Barry

Guest mylescat

That is what I have for my fs9.exe product version.Also the file date is 9/1/2004.So am I updated ?- Myles

Guest byoung

Yep!I wish somebody would upload their fs9.exe file wit that data so I could complete my patch / upgrade.Barry

Hi Barry, "Now I have a partial update "why not uninstall the patch and re-install the patch, if you are not able to uninstall the the patch only do that's below, are the main updated files except the bridge.bgl and the texture came with it.-Uninstall the patch-Delete the backup folder in fs2004 rootFrom the fs2004 Cd 1GAMEfs9.exedisplay.cfgdevices.cfgterrain.cfgCopy them to you fs2004 root folder fs2004-Restore the default fs2004 generic.bgl file:-1. Insert the "Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight" CD-ROM number 3 in your CD-ROM drive.-2. Select MSGAME8.CAB and open it-3 Copy generic.bgl to Flight Simulator 9SceneryGenericscenery.)-From the CD 2 MsGame3Cab.zip (total of 32 *.DLL)ABLSCPT.DLLACONTAIN.DLLAI_PLAYR.DLLATC.DLLCONTROLS.DLLDEMO.DLLDYNAMIC.DLLFACILITIES.DLLFE.DLLFLIGHT.DLLFSUI.DLLG2D.DLLG3D.DLLGLOBAL.DLLgps.DLLgps_export.DLLINSTRUCTOR.DLLMAIN.DLL,mpchat.DLL,MULTIPLAYER.DLL,PANELS.DLLREALITY.DLLSIM1.dllSimScheduler.DLLSOUND.DLLSYMMAP.DLLTERRAIN.DLLTraffic.DLLUTIL.DLLVISUALFX.DLLWeather.DLLWINDOW.DLLCopy *.dll to your fs2004moduleRe-install the patchThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest tezbedz

Hi, Perhaps MS should have posted the "readme" on to this forum then people would have read it.I believe that because this is such a diverse hobby and because everyone has different setups, different addons and different configurations, MS can only produce a patch for their original product, "as sold".Which is why the "readme" details what files have to be restored for the "patch" to be fully implemented.They are patching their product not you setup.Best WishesTerry

Hi Terry,Normally I would agree with you but, in my case, I feel you are being a little unfair. The solution, as it turned out, was not in the 'FM' but provided by a couple of other interested simmers and for that I am very grateful. The 'FM's' don't always contain everything we need to know and the authors, I feel sure, would be the first to admit that thay can't possibly anticipate every eventuality that may arise.My gripe was with Microsoft in that I found it surprising that they had not encountered the issue that was blocking the Updater on my system. I can only assume that neither they nor their beta testers installed the same 3rd party software that changed the registry path of the executable on my system. If that is the case then it is understandable and accordingly I felt I should offer my apology for laying the blame at their door.Mike

Guest allcott

If the patch has issues they are not of the simmers making.The patch SAYS it installs properly, yet fails to update the FS9.exe. At the very least I would expect an error message in line with the MS readme. I didn't get one and it was sheer luck that I discovered that my patch had not completed successfully, despite MS' installers best indication. It took me four goes to get a successful FS9.exe version 40901 extraction, including on a vanilla installation of FS. NOT my fault. MS's.The patch also requires OTHER files, not listed in the readme, to be restored to the default state for the patch to be effective. MS have made much about how they watch the forums, yet this was a curious omission from the so-called detailed readme that you would like all simmers to read. Do they REALLY watch forums and have any idea what is going on? Mods to .dll files trigger a patch installer rejection, yet those parameters in terrain.cfg and scenery.cfg which so many of us have altered to get round the problems and which were such common knowledge seem to have passed the MS patch team by. To my mind, a faulty or incomplete readme is worse than none at all and at the very least MS need to have the FS9.exe available for download from the website. Allcott

Guest psouthan

Maybe I am mising the post somewhere but i am going crazy trying to update my FS9 to version 9.1. I have the new bridges etc. However, my version of FS still reads version 9. Please, can someoen put the record straight for me. Have I got a complete install or not? If not, which I suspect is the case based on the ambigious articles i have read, how do I install it? I have tried everything. I eventually striped my system down and even wiped the drive with Norton utilities Wipo. However, after doing that and reinstallig FS9, when I updated I got the version FS9 back again????? What is going on?

Where???

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Hi all.There is a "vengenge" ( vng-fs91.rar ) version of a 9.1 No CD available that has been reported to me to allow the usage of the latest version of Active Camera. I don't own Active Camera, so I can't check it for that feature. But this is encouraging for those users.I have used this file for a few days with FS9.1, without problems... from gamecopyworld.Dick