Sign in to follow this  
Guest Waltm

Why do these FSE files crash FS9.1?

Guest Waltm

I love adding sounds to the FS2004 landscape via LAGO's FSE, however more often than not, adding even a few sounds will result in FS9.1 refusing to load (I get an "out of memory" error upon starting). I have dozens of my own and 3rd party FSE sceneries installed, and all get along fine, however it still seems that every time I try to add some sounds of my own, there's a 2:3 chance that it will cause FS9.1 to fail to load. The attached files is an example. Can anyone help me to understand while these files cause FS9.1 to refuse to start, i.e., I get the "out of memory" error? Thanks! -- Walt Flying FS9.1 at 1600x1200x32 WideFS 6.226 ActiveSky 2004 2.0 for FS9.1 FSUIPC 3.4.0.0 Registered FS Force 1.02 FSNavigator 4.6.0.0 LAGO FSE Linksys Wireless Router 802.11b BASE SYSTEM (Running FS2004): Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz Windows XP Pro 512MB PC800 RDRAM,8100 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 Pro CATALYST Windows XP 3.10 video driver DirectX 9.0b ViewSonic P95f+ 19 inch Ultrabrite CRT Monitor Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Creative I-Trigue 2.1 3300 Speakers MS ForceFeedback 2 joystick NETWORKED SYSTEM (Running WideFS Client & ActiveSky 2004): Intel Pentium 3, 850 MHz Windows 98 SE 384 MB RAMhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94227.zip

The answer is quite simple:The updated fs9.exe has a new "offset address book" for internal FS pointer variables.ANY addon product that relied on data obtained from the "pre-patch" memory locations are now toasted, since there's no reliable data at those addresses any longer!That's precisely why most addon authors opt to use FSUIPC to obtain & manipulate FS, since Pete provides "named pointers" to the memory addresses.If any program tries to access an invalid memory address, it will cause a program crash best case, and a complete GPF worst case.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Waltm

Thanks for the reply, n4gix. Unfortunately, I've been having the same memory error since long before installing the 9.1 patch. I was hoping the patch would fix the FSE problem, unfortunately however, no joy.-- Walt

Have you tried the (very long awaited) new FSE patch? It was just released today.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

The new patch combined with FS9 v9.1 also gives me a CTD (this didn't happen before)... Bill is correct on this issue which concerns most of us as many have installed the FS9 patch. The only problem is Lago might not get around to the fix until next year (I'm going by how long it usually takes Lago to fix issues)...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest Waltm

Got it. Installed it. So far so good--no memory errors thus far. Looks like LAGO came through for us! :)