Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

FS9 Sample shots

These screenshots are in support of a thread I am helping in in the FS9 forum.  Just an example of my FS9 settings, my Nvidia settings, and my Soft Horizons add on at work. 

Enjoy

John

King Air at 10,000 feet

Kingairintermediatealtitude_zpsd7890865.

King Air At FL250

KingAirataltitude_zps296b9ebf.jpg

Pretty good looking... I realise you are focussed on ground textures, but adding a bit of weather (20nm visibility say) or letting something like ASE get on with it, is going to transform that screenshot.

FS9 lookin good!

HLJAMES

Pretty good looking... I realise you are focussed on ground textures, but adding a bit of weather (20nm visibility say) or letting something like ASE get on with it, is going to transform that screenshot.

Yes, that's what I usually do for my FSX screenshots.  I wanted to show that ground textures could stay clear to the Horizon.  However, these shots did not turn out as intended.  AA was disabled, so the textures did not look quite as good as they normally do in my FS9 setup.  I remember I had fiddled with it some months ago trying out various AA settings on my new Nvidia card.

John

ground textures could stay clear to the Horizon.
'Course they can... the right tweaks in FS9.cfg will see to that.

But in the real world, you rarely see crisply to the horizon.

Let's see your "real" shots, then.

'Course they can... the right tweaks in FS9.cfg will see to that.

But in the real world, you rarely see crisply to the horizon.

Let's see your "real" shots, then.

This thread was merely trying to help someone troubleshooting a texture issue.  Of course I know what the real world is like.  I've logged quite a bit of time in the sky.  That's the reason I authored Soft Horizons--to give FS9 and FSX more of a real world look.  Here's a link to some screenshots as I usually prefer to fly in both sims, these are from FS9:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/409808-some-more-fs9-shots-lsa-allegro-over-phoenix/

AA was disabled, so the textures did not look quite as good as they normally do in my FS9 setup.
By posting in the Screenshots Forum, you are strutting your stuff.

Let's see it then, with no qualification! 

Still looking good.

nebojsa

By posting in the Screenshots Forum, you are strutting your stuff.

Let's see it then, with no qualification! 

I've shared plenty of shots in this forum for the three sims I enjoy--FS9, FSX and Wings of Prey.  They are by and large well received.  I'm not trying to show off--I'm trying to share what I enjoy, help where I can, and enjoy the hobby.  This isn't a forum about showing off.  It's a forum where we can share what's best about the hobby.  At least in my humble opinion.... 

I don't have the best system.  Middle of the road graphics card at best, four year old cpu.  What I try to share is in the hopes that I can reach those members who feel they can't enjoy the sims with the latest and greatest hardware.  You don't need to throw tons of money at this hobby (except for aircraft add-ons, those rock!), you don't need to throw tons of hardware.  You don't have to spend hours tweaking--My sims were set up within a month or so after purchase.  If someone posts a tweak, I might try it or I might not.  For FS9 and FSX, I've settled on 30 fps as the framerate where I achieve the best results.  Some folks here get a lot more performance, God Bless them that they have the systems for that.  Wings of Prey I get 60 fps--the way the sim works plus that it is graphics card centric helps with my performance there.

If you want to see my screenshots, they are here by the dozen in the forum.  Not many from FS9 since I enjoy FSX and Wings of Prey more.  Below are links to my shots in photobucket, some of my favorites from FS9, FSX and Wings of Prey.  Please enjoy, that's what they are there for!

John

http://s483.photobucket.com/user/Cactus521_photos/library/FS2004

http://s483.photobucket.com/user/Cactus521_photos/library/FSX

http://s483.photobucket.com/user/Cactus521_photos/library/Wings%20of%20Prey

P.S.  Does anyone here know the restrictions for posting Google Earth screenshots from Google Earth's Flightsim?  Do you have to post them with Google's copyright on the bottom?  I'd love to share some of those--some outstanding scenery to share there from a bird's-eye POV

If this were a thread in the FS2004 forum, I’d say it would be most helpful.

But by posting in the Screenshots forum, half the audience is missing.

As my sim of choice, I am keen to promote FS9; increasingly, folks are arriving in FS9-land saying:

I didn't know it could DO that!

Posting great screenshots here is a good way of advertising this.

Posting shots with critical settings out of kilter (as you subsequently pointed out) isn't going to make anyone say:

I didn’t know it could DO that!

FS9.5 (yes, times have changed, and the barriers keep crumbling) is capable of much more.

There is so much available: replacement ground, sky, cloud and water textures totally transform the sim. A few lines added to the FS9.cfg file, maybe a little ENB or SweetFX... and you’re flying FS9.5.

And as you point out, you certainly do not need a smokin’ I7 and 32GB of RAM to do it.

I did enjoy browsing your galleries, interesting to compare the various sims, and thanks for the links. Wings of Prey looks… different, but much better than I’d thought.

If this were a thread in the FS2004 forum, I’d say it would be most helpful.

But by posting in the Screenshots forum, half the audience is missing.

As my sim of choice, I am keen to promote FS9; increasingly, folks are arriving in FS9-land saying:

I didn't know it could DO that!

Posting great screenshots here is a good way of advertising this.

Posting shots with critical settings out of kilter (as you subsequently pointed out) isn't going to make anyone say:

I didn’t know it could DO that!

FS9.5 (yes, times have changed, and the barriers keep crumbling) is capable of much more.

There is so much available: replacement ground, sky, cloud and water textures totally transform the sim. A few lines added to the FS9.cfg file, maybe a little ENB or SweetFX... and you’re flying FS9.5.

And as you point out, you certainly do not need a smokin’ I7 and 32GB of RAM to do it.

I did enjoy browsing your galleries, interesting to compare the various sims, and thanks for the links. Wings of Prey looks… different, but much better than I’d thought.

I'm sorry, I probably didn't explain the purpose of this post clearly enough.  There is a thread in the FS9 forum discussing blurriness issues.  I put a link to these screenshots in that thread.  Generally I like to post sim screenshots here to abide within the forum rules, although sometimes I don't if it's just one screenshot to help someone out. 

Wings of Prey has gorgeous looking scenery and it's soooo smooth, has cloud shadows too although you have to look closely to see them.  FPS are off the charts, and it works the GPU--I can hear my GPU fan spinning up when I play the sim.  FSX doesn't do it as much, FS9 hardly at all.

The three sims I fly with (four if you include the simple flightsim in Google Earth) are a lot of fun, I try to get at least an hour every other day with one of them.  If Carenado releases their B200 for FS9, I'll probably buy it and fly FS9 a bit more.  For me, FS9 is close to a fluid world, with tons of traffic thanks to WOAI.   It's hung in there a long time.  At night it looks especially beautiful.  I love flying into a place like SFO and seeing the airliners lined up, just like real life.

Regards,

John

Your settings are looking good John !!

Mercy, some people need to to relax a bit there John !

Adam

HP Omen Obelisk Gaming Computer, Intel Core i7-9700, Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 System Memory 4.7GHz 8 cores, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super Graphics with 8GB GDDR6 memory, PSU 750 watts, 1TB hard drive, Samsung T7 2TB SSD, 512 GB SSD, WD 5TB HDD,  Logitech HOTAS X52 Pro Joystick, AOC 27" monitor,

Heh... John dealt with it rather well.

Me? I'm relaxed, but won't settle for second best!

I like these shots, John. Would there be any issues if I use Soft Horizons with REX?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.