Sign in to follow this  
AndrewPilot

Need Computer help in SoCal!

Great looking list. Definitely jealous! :-)

For the cooler, I'd go for the 100i. Just use one for a computer I build for a friend. It's a great and highly capable cooler.

What casing will you use? If you use a Corsair case you'll have no problems with mounting the Corsair cooler.

I can recommend the Corsair Obsidian 600D. It's a fantastic case. If you've got a bit more to spend go for the Obsidian 800D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Looks like a good build! Congratulations on earning the parts!! I too am building a new rig, based on the 4770k, have all the parts and am just waiting till we move up to Long Beach tomorrow. So yes, I am in the SoCal area, currently in San Diego, and am getting stationed up at the Naval base in Seal Beach. I dont know a whole lot about tweaking systems and all the fsx.cfg tweaks, but i think I could be of assistance with the software, getting fsx up and running, installing addons, livery's, sceneries, ect ect.

Adam

Another poster asked the same question I had: which case are you considering? Be sure to get a case with excellent airflow. Read reviews, get recommendations. IMHO, if you have the physical space for it, full-tower with a good cable management system is the way to go. The extra room inside makes the initial assembly and later cleaning and addition/swapping of components so much easier. Other considerations are front-panel USB and audio ports, and a fan/filter design that's easy to access for regular cleaning. You should be able to get all of this for $100-$150.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

For Cases...

We were looking at the Corsair Carbide 300R and the Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower cases.

Also the Antec 902  seemed nice.  The Full towers look huge and we ( I ) would really like it to sit under a desk.  

*  Tony

For Cases...

We were looking at the Corsair Carbide 300R and the Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower cases.

Also the Antec 902  seemed nice.  The Full towers look huge and we ( I ) would really like it to sit under a desk.  

*  Tony

If using a Corsair cooler, I would definitely go for a Corsair case. That way you're sure to have a easy installation of the radiator. Other cases might involve having to drill holes for the fastening screws.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Hi Andrew,

I have a 10 year old boy, Oscar, and he thinks he's pretty smart.

I'm with your Dad and hanging out for the Haswell as I am expecting it will go better for over clocking than the Ivy Bridge, de-lidding not withstanding.  I am relatively new to over clocking but it certainly is a rewarding, albeit time consuming endeavour.  I have been surprised how much the ambient temperature affects the CPU temp, but then I do live in Melbourne.  I was just telling a work mate today how much my system helps to heat my study during the winter months.

I plan to build a new rig sometime later this year and one of things I need to figure out is where to load all the software, assuming I get a SSD.  Should I load the OS (Win 7) on the HDD and FSX plus all the add-ons on the SSD?  Well I don't know but I'm sure I can get the answer here on Avsim.

As for aircraft the answer is simple.  IMHO it has to be the PMDG NGX.

qkuih.jpg

Just Finished the new build and loaded windows..

This is what we ended up with:

Intel I7 4770k

Asus Z87-Deluxe

Nvidia GTX770 Superclocked ACX 2GB

Patriot 16GB 1600 memory ( 8cl)

Corsair Carbide 300 Case

Corsair AX850 PSU

Samsung Pro 250 SSD(x2 !)

WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD for cloning and backup

LG Blue Ray RW

Windows 7 Home 64bit

The Corsair cooling was hard because the radiator interefered with the CPU power plugs etc , so I had to drill new holes and move the radiator 1/4"  ..  I just loaded windows on the one SSD and will work on the rest tomorrow.. Whew.. Andrew did most of the work with dad looking over his shoulder..Now tomorrow I plan on going in and cleaning up the wires and connecting to the internet to download all the new drivers..then I will start the " tweaking"...and then install FSX!    Thanks for the help so far.  We decided to get the dual 250 Samsung SSD 's as the Avsim guide recommended.  I also have the HDD for regular stuff.

-Tony

You are one lucky guy my friend, that is quite a computer you got assembled there!

I hope you have still some money left for some add-ons, because the SoCal area has great scenery in FSX, but FSX isn't a cheap hobby.

But remember, as fast as your computer might be, you always have at least some tweaking to do! There are many guides on this forum, and i suggest you look for Word Not Allowed's guide or if you don't like messing with configfiles, you could try the auto tweaking tool from ******* (the AVSim version, not the bible one)

Hi Tony/Andrew,

I just finished upgrading my "old" system and have a system similar to yours (see picture below). Replaced the MB and CPU with the same items you have. I got the Gigabyte GTX 780 w/3GB's of memory though but it is also overclocked. I was able to overclock it via the ASUS XMP Profile to 4.3GHz already. I haven't tried a manual overclock yet. It seems very stable or at least it has not crashed yet. I just finished installing FSX/Acceleration and have been running that so far. With a default FSX.cfg (AA/AF enabled) and the Nvidia default for FSX, I saw FPS moving from 150 - 275 fps (maybe 290) over Friday's Harbor. Last night I installed MegaSceneryEarth Virginia and Maryland, and MyTrafficX and fps stayed above 50 most of the time (with LOD_Radius changed from 4.5 to 6.5 and Texture Max Load from 1024 to 2048 (HD). From what I'm seeing so far, it appears to be giving me about 20 more fps than what I had with my i7 2600K and GTX580 video card. Unfortunately I will have to reinstall a lot more so I know fps will drop even more but the photoscenery graphics are very clear and I don't see any scenery rendering along the flight so far (i.e., it appears the scenery is being instantly rendered).

I also kept my Noctua NH D14 air cooler for my cpu and it fit well over the memory dimm's. So far it appears to provide adequate cooling staying around 90 degrees F.

I also have the Corsair AX850 PSU. Ample wattage for sure.

J3Ojz.jpg

Have fun putting yours together.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello Jim,

Glad you are happy with  your system.  I was aware that you were on the fence with the 4770K..glad you made the jump.  The GTX780 seems like quite the card!   Quite a bit more impressive than even the 770, but then everyone is murmuring about the " new" generation of cards that will make the GTX Titan look silly, in 6 months....etc.etc.. so I decided to go with the 770.

Got the wires( cable management) done.  Looks very neat and tidy.  To be honest I was quite surprised that everything came on, first time..no problem.  All those fans, and lights etc etc..

I unplugged all the drives except the BD and the one 240 SSD , so I can load the operating system.   Loaded windows, and now I'm trying to get it onto the network(wireless) so I can update all the drivers and get Memtest, and Aida64 etc.. to start the overclocking.  Then I have to load FSX.  Does anyone have the phone number for FSX registration?  Last time it kept saying the product key was already used.

So slowly making progress.  Now that the build is done, Andrew is anxious to fly FSX..but I know we still have quite a way to go..Unfortunately I have to leave town for a few days of work..then work on it again when I'm back.

Cheers!

Tony

To be honest I was quite surprised that everything came on, first time..no problem. All those fans, and lights etc etc..

That is an exciting moment for sure!  My MB did not light up originally and couldn't figure out why until I clicked on the on/off button on the power supply a couple of times.  Guess it was not synched with the Power switch on the CoolMaster case. 

Does anyone have the phone number for FSX registration?

When you get the message the product did not activate, it should provide you with a number to call.  If you have problems, I would do a Google search for something like "problems activating FSX".  Here's one link I found that might be useful - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/fsx-and-activation/2a8a8176-44e6-4eb3-9b86-d7bd4cd3ae47.

I did more installs last night and FPS are finally coming down but still over 50 fps most of the time with some dips to the 20's and my MegaSceneryEarth photoscenery is constantly clear with no stuttering even with the PMDG737NGX.  I personally think it is the video card.  Still have no tweaks installed and running fsx and display drivers at default settings.

You are getting close to game time and that's good.  Hope the activation goes well.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I've very Jealous Andrew, I wish I had those components! Good luck. BTW, you need to consider Win7 64bit over Win8 from what I understand.

+1

If you search the Avsim forums for posts about Windows 8 and FSX, I think you will come to appreciate that there are numerous issues and problems, trying to run FSX under Windows 8.

Unless you are running a Touch Screen based system, there is little value in running Windows 8,  but many disadvantages with Windows 8  and FSX.

Hello Jim,

clocking.  Then I have to load FSX.  Does anyone have the phone number for FSX registration?  Last time it kept saying the product key was already used.

So slowly making progress.  Now that the build is done, Andrew is anxious to fly FSX..but I know we still have quite a way to go..Unfortunately I have to leave town for a few days of work..then work on it again when I'm back.

Cheers!

Tony

If you have not yet installed FSX  (or even if you have), consider loading FSX outside of the conventional "program files x86" protected area.   ie  Install it in simply c:\FSX   (or  D:FSX   etc )

This will greatly help with FSX's "permissions" requirements, and avoid the overheads associated with Windows 7 "protection" of program files in the "program files x86" area.

The chances of some other rogue program unwantingly modifying your FSX is slim, and in any case .  YOU WILL BE BACKING UP YOUR SYSTEM on a regular basis,  won't you    :)

My ghad...!  I am now really jealous.  Jim, out of interest can you tell me your typical FPS with the NGX VC on the ground\low altitudes (see my sig for typical add-ons),  Those fps your quoting seem unbelievable.  I'm starting to think about the 4770K for my next build and whether I can use my existing H80 cooler.  I only got the 660Ti OC for Xmas so I'll have to stick with that for a while.  I've been a bit disappointed with my FPS recently to be honest.  Running LOD=5 but it seems to be in the VC that brings down the fps.  

I found this guide posted by Stephen yesterday.  I've only just skimmed it but it looks really good, very comprehensive.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/411709-its-how-to-do-it-time-its-how-to-do-it-time/#entry2697173

Those fps your quoting seem unbelievable.

I'm not sure what FPS you are talking about.  The one's between 150 and 275 fps with the default aircraft over Friday's Harbor?  I believe those are pretty easy to get even with a Sandy Bridge system but they were the highest I have ever seen.  You have just installed FSX/Acceleration and you jump into a default Baron over Friday's Harbor with default FSX/display driver settings and that's what you will get or almost near that.  As I stated somewhere here, I believe I'm only seeing a 20 fps increase over my old Ivy Bridge i7 2600K system.  But that's a nice increase!  Since then I have installed the PMDG and some MegaSceneryEarth V2 photoscenery and I'm getting over 50 fps most of the time but some dips to the 20's.  Yesterday I flew into the ImagineSim Charlotte International airport and got fps in the teens just before landing my PMDG 737 (in the VC).  So maybe I'm starting to be brought back to reality. The PMDG VC is really not frame rate friendly but you can do some modifications in the PMDG settings to get a few more frames.  I have also changed the Texture_Max_Load to 2048 and LOD_Radius to 6.5.   It does seem much smoother though and the MegaScenery is instantly rendering.  None of this texture rendering as you move forward stuff.  It does it now.  And that is in the PMDG737NGX in wing view (they look fully rendered in VC mode too but I don't like that mode unless I'm landing)(my ProATC-X Co-Pilot is piloting most of the time).  There is some noticeable performance gains.  I can feel and see it.  I really discount fps because the sim is smooth even when running FSX in the teens.  I guess they are a good guide though. I'm definitely not going to say the i7 4770K will do amazing things for FSX but just relating a couple of experiences for Tony and Andrew to look forward to (maybe).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM