Sign in to follow this  
FlyCathay

Close up of 777 gear up and down

Geez, I wonder what happened to those flaps and nacelle? Food truck drive into it?

Looks like jaws maybe got a hold to it

Christian Graves

Flaps are in a slightly drooped position exposing the flap drive mechanism. The shape is normal, it's just a bit greasy!

You can fly without the fairings but it's about 1-2% fuel penalty I seem to remember, significant on a long flight.

Flaps are in a slightly drooped position exposing the flap drive mechanism. The shape is normal, it's just a bit greasy!

You can fly without the fairings but it's about 1-2% fuel penalty I seem to remember, significant on a long flight.

. OK It just likes odd but I now see what you mean. Grease makes it look like there are dents in the sheet metal.

Rick Charles

Been there, done that. :D

Posted Image

I changed a hydraulic line on the LMG antiskid module, so a gear swing/leak check was required.

Posted Image

The hydraulic line replacement doesn't require a gear swing, but this particular aircraft lost 50% of it's Left System Hydraulic quantity, so we were leak checking everything. ;)

Sent from my Sony Xperia TL

The hydraulic line replacement doesn't require a gear swing, but this particular aircraft lost 50% of it's Left System Hydraulic quantity, so we were leak checking everything. ;)

You just wanted to play with the landing gear didn't you :P

There's ALOT of pipework up there! I always have a good nose around to check for leaks on the walk-round. The size of the belly doors is particularly impressive when you see them down!

Luckily the retract is a little quicker in the air than the video suggests as the ground connected hydraulics don't pump the gear up as fast.

Stunning system up close, a complex job done with simplicity.

Touch wood! Never failed me yet!!!

Always land rubber side down.

The gear retraction seems to be a lot slower than what I've seen on 777 take-off videos. Does that have something to do with the hydraulics not being completely pressurised, as the engines are not running?

Edit: Great video, by the way.

Second edit: Doh! Just saw Greg's post, disregard.  :lol:

The gear retraction seems to be a lot slower than what I've seen on 777 take-off videos. Does that have something to do with the hydraulics not being completely pressurised, as the engines are not running?

Edit: Great video, by the way.

Second edit: Doh! Just saw Greg's post, disregard. :lol:

Even though the hydraulic mule has 3000 psi, the volume is a lot less than what's available in the aircraft system when you use engine driven pumps and/or ADP's or ACMP's.

Sent from my Sony Xperia TL