Sign in to follow this  
cvearl

Will going back to DX9 and installing the Shader 3 mod break DX10?

I am loving the DX10 experience on my ATI HD 7970 3GB Ghz card. Wow. But I really want to try the Shader 3 mod as well. I hear it gives the same advantage as DX10 for ATI. Screaming fast framerates when drilling holes in deep overcast clouds.

I already can jump from DX9 to DX10 and back without issue. I just make sure I flush the Shader Cache when I do and my CFG is pretty lean so I need not change anything there when I do swap out.

But if I swap out to DX9 to test this Shader Mod, I dont want it to break my DX10 as I have it now. It's not going to is it? Or even change it?

Thanks!

Charles.

It won't break anything.

\Robert Hamlich/

Robert is correct, Charles - the "Shaders v 3.0" mod was created by Bojote, and is a mod to the DX9 part of the ShadersHLSL code, and has nothing to do with DX10. You can simply delete the "Shaders" folder in the cache section, leaving Shaders10 as is. My preferred method of "going back to DX9" is to save the DX9 fsx.cfg, it's exe.xml, dll.xml, cameras.cfg, terrain.cfg, Inspector.nip, and anything else I can think of at the time.

Shaders 3 makes DX9 a bit prettier.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Robert is correct, Charles - the "Shaders v 3.0" mod was created by Bojote, and is a mod to the DX9 part of the ShadersHLSL code, and has nothing to do with DX10. You can simply delete the "Shaders" folder in the cache section, leaving Shaders10 as is. My preferred method of "going back to DX9" is to save the DX9 fsx.cfg, it's exe.xml, dll.xml, cameras.cfg, terrain.cfg, Inspector.nip, and anything else I can think of at the time.

Shaders 3 makes DX9 a bit prettier.

This is great news. So I can bounce between a nodded DX9 and 10 at will. Remembering to rebuild shader cache being the most important step.

I'm looking forward to see what sort of performance gains I get with the ATI 7970 with the s****** 3 mod and then I can compare to see which is better optimized for the ATI card. 9 or 10.

C.

Yup I can go back and fourth all day. No prob. DX10 is great but there is one killer for me. The ORBX lights going on and off at night. Initial tests of this shader mod 3 for DX9 give me the cloud performance of DX10. Awesome. But... I hate the water. I want REXE water or FSX default and not sure how to do that without breaking my DX10 water. I love the default FSX DX10 water. But in DX9 I am not a fan of the shader model 3 water.

Dx10 would be perfect if night lights worked.

Dx9 would be perfect if I could fix the water.

Although DX10 AA looks better than in DX9. Never thought I would say that. Lol.

Not quite sure what to do now.

C.