Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cvearl

Rex Essential User... Lost my Whitecaps on the water?

Having recently jumped to DX10... Patched it with latest DX10 patch. I see I DO have a subtle animation on the water but I am missing the moving Whitecaps that seemed to move with the wind direction. Where did they go?

Charles.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The only REXE wave animation which I've seen that has the moving white caps in DX10 is named "Use This" and must be the 32 bit, i.e. not compressed, version.  Be advised that though this animation looks really nice it comes with a noticeable fps hit.  I find that the FSX stock DX10 water animation look great (huge improvement over DX9) and does not have an fps hit.

The only REXE wave animation which I've seen that has the moving white caps in DX10 is named "Use This" and must be the 32 bit, i.e. not compressed, version.  Be advised that though this animation looks really nice it comes with a noticeable fps hit.  I find that the FSX stock DX10 water animation look great (huge improvement over DX9) and does not have an fps hit.

Is there an easy way for me to "bring back" or copy back in the default file(s) to make the Default DX10 Water appear?

C.

Is there an easy way for me to "bring back" or copy back in the default file(s) to make the Default DX10 Water appear?

C.

Restoring the FSX textures in REXE is simple, and can be done in the REXE configuration tab (provided you created the backup when you first installed REXE, right?).  After restoring from the backup, in the options tab uncheck all water animations to ensure that water animations are disabled, i.e. never loaded.  Then reload only the REXE stuff you want to use, such as clouds, sky, pavements, etc. This will not reinstall water animation (provided you disabled it and didn't choose any water animation to be installed).

I was also able to switch to the Rex "use this" theme and it has animation as well looks pretty good. nice reflections nice animation and actually works quite well under DirectX 10.