Sign in to follow this  
blackwarrior

HKJK Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (Project Greenfield/Mawingu Updates) WIP

Would anyone be interested in an update to the stock Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi, Kenya?

Lee Marrow and Nuhaid Abdulkhaleq have freeware versions of this airport available from 2009 and 2008, respectively. But with current construction and an initiative announced by Kenya Airways and the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority to expand HKJK, I am rendering the airport using stock objects based on these plans.

Here is the stock HKJK (via Airport Design Editor):
hkjk_stock.jpg

Here is an aerial view of HKJK from Google Maps (note the new addition to the cargo apron and the construction of the terminal expansion on the main ramp):
hkjk_aerial.jpg

Here is a (not-so-good) screenshot from a Kenya Airways presentation showing projects Greenfield and Mawingu (I am looking for the PDF containing this file for a better, readable version of the graphic):
6f0a171.jpg

Here is my render of HKJK implementing current construction and projects Greenfield and Mawingu (via Airport Design Editor):
hkjk_greenfield_2018_update1.jpg

I have added the proposed runway but have not added any ILS or approaches for it. This would change the designation of the current runway from 6-24 to 6L-24R.

It looks like that the entire new terminal proposed by Kenya Airways will be called Terminal 4, while the current building is considered terminals 1-3 (including the terminal addition currently being constructed on the main building). Because of the FSX nomenclature, I'm going to call the entire current building area Concourse A. The proposed terminal will be considered concourses B (northern end), C (southern end), and D (middle). 

Concourses B and C have 26 gates each. while Concourse D will have seven gates. Of these 59 gates, 45 are assigned to either Kenya Airways (42 gates) or a member of the current SkyTeam alliance (one each for KLM, Korean Air and Saudia in concourse D). Of the 59 new gates, all but two are "heavy" gates, so there should be room to park the big iron (many international flights into Nairobi utilize A330s, B767s, and B777s). There is no Airbus A380 service to Nairobi, but the airport is being designed with it in mind. Concourse A has been airline-coded for AI aircraft serving African destinations (Uganda, Tanzania, South Sudan, Botswana, Somalia, Mauritius, Mozambique, and Reunion Island), and Concourse C has been coded for flights to Europe, Asia, the Middle East, the Americas, and South Africa.

The new cargo ramp (SW Parking) has one spot each AI-coded for carriers currently serving the field (Air France, Astral, British Airways, Cargolux, EgyptAir, Emirates, Etihad, Lufthansa, Martinair, Qatar, Saudia, Singapore, and Turkish). There are eleven heavy cargo ramp spaces and five medium cargo ramp spaces. There is also one static AI Boeing 747 on the ramp to give the field a "busy" look.

Taxiway signage is complete, and I'm now working on correcting some errors to ground lighting.

Any feedback or information would be helpful regarding this project. If you're interested in obtaining this scenery once it's finished, let me know also.

Would love this scenery to be done as it is an airport I flew into and out of so many times when it was called Embakasi on the now-defunct EAA Super VC-10s, a most glorious aircraft in the then African skies.

I like the work so far, you could look for Fred Kabalu, author of Oriental Sim HKJK. By far the best work done for Nairobi in the history of flight simulation. He did a marvelous job on the current buildings. 

Happy to help if I can.

rgds

Founder (FOF)
FOF001.png

Thanks for that tip. Got that Oriental Sim one a few months ago.