Sign in to follow this  
wulfbindewald

Improving FSX via windows

have a look here. I am really impressed of the added value in the scenery appearance,

e.g.  colour depth, colour graduation. BTW not only for FSX relevant.

Thanks to Jaydor.

www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/58637-improving-fsx-via-windows/

Wulf

Link does not appear to be working

SJED

Yu will find this article in the ORBX forum under "Tips, tricks and technics".

It may be nec. to be registered. Sorry for any iconveniance.

Wulf

Go to the Control Panel, --> Color Management --> Advanced, and make it look like this.  This is a Great Tip!!

There's a second part to the post, though - he is suggesting a wrong method for setting up your Paging settings. 

There are a couple of reasons that may cause OOM's (besides high graphics settings), the major one being a fragmented and/or possibly non-contiguous page file. Either of these can also cause disk "thrashing" as well, though rare nowadays.

To fix this, Rt-Clk on "My Computer" --> Properties,  --> Advanced System Settings --> Advanced, and open up the top box "Performance" --> "Settings", and then another "Advanced". Inside that one, click on the "Change" button, so that this screen pops up: Click on the "C drive, to highlight it, then click into the "Custom Size" checkbox.: make each of the size boxes equal to 100(MB). The system drive needs at least 40MB, so 100 is comfortable. Click the "set" button when done, then go to any other Hard Disk Drive (not an SSD), and also not the FSX drive. Make each box equal 3072 (3 GB), and again, click the "Set" button.

Then reboot.  I should also add that my current system has only 8 GB of ram, with 2048 (2GB) assigned for swap space. A Paging File larger than 3GB on a Windows 7, 32 or 64-bit system built for FSX is a total and utter waste of expensive disk space. Better to backup your user files, or something equally useful, to it instead.

The next way of fighting the dreaded OOM is by changing the Desktop Heap config, and to do that, follow these instructions here (doc pdf).  

What you have now done is to guarantee that you will not a). run out of swap space: B). run out of contiguous swap space, and c). You will gain some small amount of performance from the act of taking the swap activity away from the system disk and its operations.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

The next way of fighting the dreaded OOM is by changing the Desktop Heap config, and to do that, follow these instructions here

This is probably the best tip out of any other tips put out by us friendly guru's!  But it has been updated for Windows 7 and now Microsoft has a simply Microsoft Fix that will do it automatically instead of manually - - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246.  I suspect Paul they were reading all of your "How To" guides.  In any case, I was getting unexplained OOM's even with all my settings near the default.  I had this tweak a long time ago but forgot to reinstall it when I reinstalled Windows 7 recently.  Expanding the heap limitation has allowed me to increase settings and get even more eye-candy (like LOD_Radius of 6.5).  It's unbelievable how great this one little fix does to your FSX and your computer system.  I believe everyone should employ it whether they are getting OOM's or not.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Does this go for non DX10 users aswell? Wayne

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Does this go for non DX10 users aswell? Wayne

Yes, absolutely!!

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

they were reading all of your "How To"
  :lol:  Naaah... don't think so Jim! This site and "Auto-Fix" has been around for a long time and was penned by someone a whole "Heap" smarter than me....

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I tried that heap fix, but upon looking at my registry, my 2nd number was already at 20480. However my 3rd number I believe was 768, and I changed that to 1024. Not sure this will make a difference.

Also this orbx suggested display setting, is this for people who don't use enhancers like sweetfx? I'm assuming people who use sweetfx don't really need to follow this article then?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Nothing to do with SweetFX, Cap'n. This is to do with the memory allocation associated with your login and your computer session. 

Here is the explanation, and by the time you're a quarter of the way through, you'll understand why I'm not explaining it myself...  

All the Best,

Click on the "C drive, to highlight it, then click into the "Custom Size" checkbox.: make each of the size boxes equal to 100(MB). The system drive needs at least 40MB, so 100 is comfortable. Click the "set" button when done, then go to any other Hard Disk Drive (not an SSD), and also not the FSX drive. Make each box equal 3072 (3 GB), and again, click the "Set" button.

A little confused here :blush: I have an ssd that has system and fsx onto it. Is this fix for me too?

Hi Jewel: No - if you only have that one drive, your only option is to keep it on your "C" drive. Still make it a "Custom" file, though, as in Image1 here, and just change the part where I'm using my "E" drive (I call it Stuff") - just make yours apply to the "C" drive. The principle is for you to control the size of the page file - not Windows. If you use one of the good doisk defraggers - they will also allow you to place it on the disk at any location you might specify, such as being close to the outer tracks.  

Go to the Control Panel, --> Color Management --> Advanced, and make it look like this.  This is a Great Tip!!

Thank you Paul ! This Tip improves the Image-Quality or does it something performance-wise ?