Sign in to follow this  
wulfbindewald

Improving FSX via windows

I have an ssd that has system and fsx onto it. Is this fix for me too?

When I was building my system a couple of years ago I read an article about SSD life-span in which the main point was that solid state drives shouldn't be used in a situation where there are more or less constant writes, erasures, more writes, more erasures, etc. A file gets written to the SSD, the user deletes the file, and the OS must then erase the blocks on the SSD where the file resided before those blocks can be written to again (WIN-7 does this automatically via the built-in TRIM function). The author argued that because of these constant file operations, using an SSD for the Page File or for daily downloading could shorten the life of the drive. The suggestion was to use a HDD for both the Page File and downloads, and use the SSD only for the OS and applications because the data on the solid state drive would then remain much more constant, thereby extending the life of the drive.

I suppose how valid this caution is could be debated, but nonetheless, I keep my Page File on a 2-TB HDD, the same one I use to store my system backup images. It's big enough that there is always contiguous space for the Page File which I set to "System Managed" (default 8GB). I also have another HDD for downloads and to store the files I decide to keep.

I can't locate the source article that I read, but this one hits on some of the same points.

On another note, I made the changes suggested in this thread for my monitor settings and the difference is pretty dramatic. I don't use DX-10, but I notice the improvement especially in REX clouds. Colors are richer and the darker and lighter textures in the cloud images seem to blend better. The only negative I saw is that the NGX cockpit is noticeably darker when starting C&D at night, but I've clicked those Battery and Emergency Lights Arm buttons so frequently that I don't really have a problem finding them. Thanks to all.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Emergency battery and lights? Where exactly can I find that?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Hi Jewel: No - if you only have that one drive, your only option is to keep it on your "C" drive. Still make it a "Custom" file, though, as in Image1 here, and just change the part where I'm using my "E" drive (I call it Stuff") - just make yours apply to the "C" drive. The principle is for you to control the size of the page file - not Windows. If you use one of the good doisk defraggers - they will also allow you to place it on the disk at any location you might specify, such as being close to the outer tracks.  

Thanks for your reply Paul! So I put 100MB or 3072MB? :unsure:  :biggrin: By default my system uses 8175MB.

Emergency battery and lights? Where exactly can I find that?

Battery and Emergency Lights  :smile:

Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Having only one drive you need to make it at least 2048 MB (2gig).

Forget the 100 MB - that's only used if you're putting the main paging file on another drive.

The standard has always followed the 1.5 times the system's memory, but given that one can now install 64 GB of ram on many/most retail motherboards - that would be ridiculous to suggest following that methodology. You're running a single, 32-bit app on a 64-bit system, plus some weather, a few airports, some addon AI, an NGX and some 4096 clouds: you will "nibble" that 2 GB swap space. If you're in doubt - make it 3072 -3GB! - and yes - it goes on the "C" drive, as you have no other drive - ok!  :wink:  

All the Best,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Paul, Jim or other experts...I'm trying to see if this tweak would give me an improvement with my FSX setup.  Windows 7 obviously is on the C Drive and FSX is on the F drive which is an SSD.  I also have a D Drive which is a non SSD.  My F drive is solely for FSX and FSX related stuff.  Jim listed a link to a Microsoft website that gives you the option to have it done automatically or manually.  If you didn't use the link Jim listed, what exact steps should I take to apply this or would I be better off using Jim's Microsoft link?

If you could kindly break it down for me step by step what I would need to do, that would be most appreciated....thanks!!

Chris Sunseri

If you could kindly break it down for me step by step what I would need to do, that would be most appreciated....thanks!!

If you elect the automatic method, you click on a link on the Microsoft site and download a small file and run it. This will make the required adjustments to your registry. Further down on that page it describes step-by-step how to do the registry edits manually.

Thanks I appreciate it!  I'll take a look at the manual method, but if I'm not feeling lucky enough, choose the automatic approach

Chris Sunseri

Having only one drive you need to make it at least 2048 MB (2gig).

Forget the 100 MB - that's only used if you're putting the main paging file on another drive.

The standard has always followed the 1.5 times the system's memory, but given that one can now install 64 GB of ram on many/most retail motherboards - that would be ridiculous to suggest following that methodology. You're running a single, 32-bit app on a 64-bit system, plus some weather, a few airports, some addon AI, an NGX and some 4096 clouds: you will "nibble" that 2 GB swap space. If you're in doubt - make it 3072 -3GB! - and yes - it goes on the "C" drive, as you have no other drive - ok!  :wink:  

All the Best,

OK! Thanks Paul!  :give_rose:

OK, I'm going to show some ignorance here, so if this has been explained I'm missing it, so please be patient. I dual boot my system (Win 7 x 64 on both boots). One boot configuration (my main one) is used for my everyday stuff and applications, stored on 2, 1TB  HDD's. My other "system" boots off of a 120 gb SSD, divided into 2 partitions. One partition holds the OS and a few utilities and the second partition contains FSX and related applications, I also use a 2nd 120 gb SSD for my ORBX sceneries and more FSX related stuff. I like this setup because I overclock my system  when I boot to my FSX setup,(4.2 ghz from an I7 950) have configured the OS to a bare bones state, and have setup the system and FSX using the famous "Nick N" setup guide. I have also set up FSX to run DX10. I took a lot of time setting up the system,  researching how to "properly"  configure everything, and I am extremely pleased with the results. I have a 99% crash free, 0% OOM configuration. 

So...my question is...I'm using a 3072 gb paging file on my SSD/FSX system drive (6gb system ram). Should I change it using the MS "Fix It" scheme, manually change it, or just leave well enough alone? Will a larger paging file make a difference on an SSD system?

Hi Ualani;

Desktop Heap size:

The "Fix-it" app is nothing to do with the swap space" it only concerns the desktop heap size. You can "adjust" this manually, with a registry modification, or you can let the "Fix-it" app do it for yo.

Paging File:

1). If you have one drive - you have no options. Make it a 2 or 3 gig "Custom" size, set it and reboot.

2). If you have two drives, put FSX on the second drive, and leave the swap space on the System drive, exactly as 1). above.

3). If you have three drives, put the OS on the first drive - which is "C", and put FSX on the fastest of the two remaining drives. Put a 100MB "Custom" file on the "C" drive, with the main swap file on the third drive, as a 2 or 3 gig "Custom" size, set it and reboot.

Is that easier? Ask again if it's still not clear.

All the Best,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

What if you have 2 drives but they are partitioned?

I have the C: drive, FSX on my F drive and that FSX drive is partitioned with the E drive handling downloads, etc.  I set it up like #3 and I think you helped me with that a while ago Paul.  Just checking that this is the correct way to do it.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Sorry to ask such a question, but I don't understand where to find my Hard Disk Drive :blush:

then go to any other Hard Disk Drive (not an SSD), and also not the FSX drive. Make each box equal 3072 (3 GB), and again, click the "Set" button.

I thought I was pretty computer savvy, but boy, I'm really confused now.

To reiterate:

One SSD drive is partitioned. OS on first partition ("C" drive), FSX, utilities, etc. on 2nd partition ("J" drive.) This is on the faster of my SSD's.

Second SSD ("I" drive) holds more FSX related stuff (utilities, large scenery files, etc.) So essentially I have 3 SSD's dedicated to FSX. There's also 2 HDD's on the system I use for my every day stuff. 

So then, what is the 100 mb file that I should put on the "C" SSD drive and how do I put it there? Is that the heap file? Should the swap file go on the "I" drive, or could I put it on one of my HDD's? OR since everything is running smoothly, should I just leave well enough alone? (Why fix it if it 'aint broke?) I'm dizzy!