Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Is the Q400 a good choice for casual Simmers?

What I do is find a flight using route finder on the EFB and that gives me the waypts. Then I type those in the fmc. The good thing about the D8 is that you can enter almost everything into the fmc without typing too much using the list button.

It may not take that much time, but the thing is I struggle a lot getting in the waypoints right and always seem to get a broken connection in the flightplan and I struggle to get the pieces together especially the sids and star, even when I have used a flightplanner to make the flightplan. That's the main reason I don't do it manually+ Im lazy :P But Ill guess Ill have to watch more tutorials too be able to do it manually if there's no importing options in the dash 8..

Do the pilots do that in real life with every flight? I was under the impression that they just downloaded flight data from a chip given to them by the airline...Am I wrong?

The plans are stored in the aircraft by other stuff (presumably mechanics), the pilots dont put a CD in or nothing. 

The Majestic Dash can use stored routes. You can either key them in and save them for later use, or, if Majestic release a format definition, use other means (such as various programs exporting the format directly, maybe VatRoute or something similar).

The plans are stored in the aircraft by other stuff (presumably mechanics), the pilots dont put a CD in or nothing.

The Majestic Dash can use stored routes. You can either key them in and save them for later use, or, if Majestic release a format definition, use other means (such as various programs exporting the format directly, maybe VatRoute or something similar).

^_^ Ok, thanks for the insight, but someone had to put them there in the first place, or do the pilots program the ruotes manually everytime they step into the cockpit?

Guess I have to learn to this manually...but it's nice to hear that they can be saved for later use, so I don't have to do it everytime..

The plans are stored in the aircraft by other staff (presumably mechanics), the pilots dont put a CD in or nothing. 

LOL, I misunderstood because of the typo, the answer was right there I just didn't catch it sorry.. (stuff/staff)

It depends on the airline and the aircraft. Many of the newer a/c out there can import plans that are sent directly to the FMC from the dispatcher (they can also download wx reports, gate assignments, company messages, etc.). Not every FMC can do this, nor does every airline pay to have this feature installed. There are airlines that have a database of pre-stored flights the pilots can choose from by calling up a menu. They then just have to cross-check that all the waypoints match up with the actual filed flight plan. Most flights will use the same plan every time, only adjusting for wx or other issues.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Palmer

KJAC

I think you are overestimating the difficulty of starting the aircraft in FSX and then controlling it.  Flying in FSX ain't quantam physics.  He'll enjoy the plane and slowly like the complexity. Nothing wrong in just getting in and flying. Thats one of the ways how you learn in FSX and get familiar with the instruments/systems/controls.

I would advise you away from this as a casual simmer.  The Q400 is definitely hardcore simming, believe me.

It's not the sort of aircraft that you would enjoy until you have delved into what makes it tick, If you know what I mean,

I advise this with the greatest respect, of course.

Too the OP, did you get the Dash 8? Sorry for derailing you're thread with all the FMC questions. It just happened unintentionally :blush:

I am not familiar with Flight Management Systems, but am not afraid to invest a lot of time reading the manual. Also, I haven't yet used ATC or getting vectored, but that was on my radar screen to learn next.

(...)

I think of myself as a reasonably smart and am not afraid to invest time (or a lot of time) in reading the manuals.

(...)

With this attitude, I wouldn't consider you as a casual simmer anymore ;).

If you want to step into the more complex aircrafts, you have to start somewhere. So why not do it with the D8.

If you can get to grips with the RealAir B60 and you can read (this is a tongue in cheek remark...), I am sure anyone with enough dedication to learn how to operate one of these can do so. It is a question of time if you are even the slightest bit technically minded...

At the end of the day, most of the operation, in terms of getting single systems running and integrated, is just pushing buttons and throwing switches. If you can control a default FSX plane and keep it straight and level throughout its speed envelope, if you can follow a glideslope and/or localiser on approach manually, then you should theoretically be able to control any of the FS aircraft that have been developed, given enough time to practice...

My question to myself is always: how much do I really want the released addon, will I fly it enough to justify the purchase, or is it a must-have regardless of how much I will actually use it? The Q400 is a must-have in my eyes, for me... I will also use it enough to justify its purchase..., I really wanted it...

A

The excellent performance compared to PMDG has made this plane the one I fly the most B) I have a hard time going back to the NGX after getting used to the higher settings I can use with this plane.

With this attitude, I wouldn't consider you as a casual simmer anymore ;).

If you want to step into the more complex aircrafts, you have to start somewhere. So why not do it with the D8.

Thanks for your kind words. When I get back from Europe early next month, the Q400 is now on my buy list. Thanks all for your thoughts and contributions.

I think the Q400 is a great plane for casual simmers... to evolve into less casual simmers  :P

Keep an eye on that rudder trim!