Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Peter's A380 - QIQO !

It is probably the best example of Q-I-Q-O = Quality In - Quality Out....

Of all airliners I have used in a sim, being it X-Plane, MSFS (any version I used), Fly!, Aerowinx PS1, I have to declare that the fligth dynamics of this aircraft are the best I have EVER been able to use!

It's true that when I bought P3D (with the money I made selling my 1st copy of X-Plane10...) I invested in Aerosoft's AXE, and PMDG's 737 NGX, and these are great models to have on that platform. The PMDG products are exaustive in exploring the many features of the real thing and bringing them, almost 100%, into MSFS / P3D, but!, there is one thing they really can't get just right - the flight dynamics!

Weather in MSFS / P3D, even if better in LM's sim, and if you further use a good weather injector, is still to shy compared to what X-Plane10 can render.

I do prefer X-Plane's weather, winds and turbulence, but also up / down drafts to what we can get in the MSFS / P3D + weather injector worlds... Setting bad weather, with gusting / shearing / turbulent winds, and some intense precipitation to help, will still be simply piece of cake to deal with in MSFS / P3D. Not quite like so in X-Plane10. You can sweat trying to land an aircraft under adverse weather conditions in X-Plane.

One of the tests I really like to perform with any aircraft model is the way it flies under bad weather, and if possible, the way it's automatic flight systems deal with an autoland. Well, simply put - nothing was ever so good as this A380 landing with extreme wind / shear / turbulence, all by it's own (less the throttle retard required in the Airbus series...), and comming to a stop after a PERFECT rollout. I am completely IN LOVE with this aircraft.

Inflight, on the ground, every aspect of the flight dynamics is there showing you hw ahead Peter was able to place this model. I will try to get the other into my feelt as soon as possible, and I know I finally found the PMDG of X-Plane.

Yes the Dreamliner 777 is also very very good, and I accept that my initial assessment was somehow unfair. I'll give it another try after installing the lastest patch (1.4.2) when it becomes available at Aerosoft. Anyway, it is certainly a very good product! But, this A380 is simply remarkable!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

First I thought you were talking about my A320, lol. Glad you are having so much fun with it. Peter's aircrafts are worth every cent.

Wouldn't you need to fly the real thing to judge if the flight model is realistic?

Since I've cetainly not flown one ( but a 380 test pilot owns and flies a single like I had)........these posts do give me the incentive to dive into the Internet for all kinds of info about the 380 as well as other Airbuses and their fly by wire computer logic in regards to autoland and crosswinds. Interesting reading as well as videos.

Wouldn't you need to fly the real thing to judge if the flight model is realistic?

Yes and no. Parts of the behaviour are obvious, while other parts will always be different since you don't use the original hardware. I think the best  solution would be to simply compare it to one of the commercial training simulators, and in fact Peter Hager did just that. I didn't find the link to his own article about this experience, but he was quite impressed with his results, and only made some small adjustment.

I must say I had my doubts too, before i bought this plane, but i was really surprised how good it flies. There is a big difference how this plane feels like.

But he also had a slight advantage. It uses a fly by wire plugin that was written by one of the engineers.

And different to FSX he did not need to fight against an internal model that wants to simulate a Boeing...

Airbus has a different design philosophy.

Peter's Flight Model and Sounds are so accurate......your ears will pop on Descent :lol:   I worked on A320/321 for several years and trust me and Jcomm when we say that Peter's Aircraft got it right :good:

Well, manuthie has his point, of course, but, I did have access to a Level D A319/20/21 at TAP's headquarters, and had the chance to fly it for a long hour, doing all kinds of tests.

The model used was the A320, and I noticed ao light it is in it's control inputs. It was no near to any model I have had the chance to "fly" in MSFS (and a few other sims). Talking at my local airclub with A330 and A340 pilots who also fly gliders, I later confirmed this is also true about those models. The feel of the controls of this A380 is just what I expected it to be, and reading Peter's report, I believe he and his team have put a lot of detail into modelling what he was able to test in his flight simulator sessions.

Then, there are other sorts of tests we can always run, looking for weird /unexpected behavours, and that's what I've been doing to test this excellent model. So far nothing chocking! Or, better said - it's shocking to have waited so long to decide to give it a try :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Another little bit of news to sweeten the pot, Peter has acknowledged the upcoming VC will be offered as a free upgrade to A320 customers.:smile:

Another little bit of news to sweeten the pot, Peter has acknowledged the upcoming VC will be offered as a free upgrade to A320 customers.:smile:

Oh yes, he shoots, he scores! Fantastic. :)

I just performed yet another battery of tests, this time pushing the a380 to the limits of what is acceptable (I believe). That FBW system is astounding. Didn't crash, although I tried hard!

Main Simulation Rig:

Hmm,

I have not been back to XPX for months now, after I discovered P3D.  I always find Peter's website confusing, what do I get for 54 EUR (75 CDN)?  I seems that I have to choose a particular model.   Some guidance about what's special and how to get start would be nice.

Thanbks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I always find Peter's website confusing, what do I get for 54 EUR (75 CDN)?  I seems that I have to choose a particular model.  

Yes, his webpage is quite confusing. Originally all these modelswere linked to the single models for 46 Euro, an option for the 3D cockpit for 15 Euro if I remember correctly and an option to upgrade to the collection with all models + the 2 Airbus internal models.

But now all models include the 3D cockpit and they lead in fact to the collection itself, that already contains all liveries and the two InHouse models. 54 Euro is the collection, or you could get the collection for 69 US-$ from x-plane.org. I don't know which price would be cheaper in CDN.

The systems, and even some details of the display are sparsely modeled. You do not get a detailed MCDU, the same happening to some functions of FCU (like hdg/trk, v/s / fpa), etc...

But! You can complement with an external generic or Airbus type MCDU, and you get an excellent flight dynamics model as well as an excellent FBW simulation.

Main Simulation Rig: