Sign in to follow this  
cvearl

Bojote's Shader Mod 3.0 installed. OK to apply REX water themes?

I have Bojote's Shader mod installed. Great framerates and my 7970 does not even know that those overcast clouds are there! Love it.

Is it safe to install REXE water Textures and also will they look right if I do? Like they would have before the mod?

Charles.

Where did you get the mod from?  The link from the old forum post is invalid.

Ian R Tyldesley

Where did you get the mod from? The link from the old forum post is invalid.

From the link in his signature. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/283701-bojotes-shader-30-mod-for-fsx/

Also. I have been on a testing roll. The cloudy overcast test called GPUmark... With shader mod 3.0 version 1.6 my ATI 7970 is 30% faster than my GTX 660ti SC was. I get 32 fps with 4xSSAA+FXAA (radeonpro required for FXAA). Blew my mind. While faster in my KHIO to KPDX test flight with building storms ttheme, it is only 20% faster than my 660ti was. This is because I am CPU limited there. This mod is a miracle for ATI cards. I have to go re-run that test as I still don't believe it. But I've run it 3 times already.

Sitting on rw 16L KSEA in the JS41 building storms theme same settings I get 27 fps. Sync and unlimited frames obivously. In these tests.

I just want to know if I can safely apply water from REXE still. I know it is not FSWC compatible though.

C.

From the link in his signature.

Thanks C

I went back to DX9...DX10 is in every way better except compatibility.  AES at night was just a blank grey texture.  Dubai didn't work at night.

Ian R Tyldesley

Thanks C

I went back to DX9...DX10 is in every way better except compatibility. AES at night was just a blank grey texture. Dubai didn't work at night.

Sorry to hear that. Well. Shader model 3.0 testing continues here. Working really well. No compatibility issues I see so far. Just good very good performance. Still have to test Rex water now.

Ok I managed to remove Bojote's water from SM 3.0. Basically I am now running The Shader Mod 3.0 clouds only. This way I still get the stunning fps increase in overcast weather while keeping the original REX water. Animations and all. Brilliant. I saw how in another thread but cant find it now.

Basically after installing the mod (should be called a patch IMO), I copied the original WATER files from the original shaders folder (backed up by the install for you) and replaced the water xml file with the original (also backed up by the install). If I get time I am going to write this up as part of an optimum DX9 guide for ATI. This setup makes ATI cards behave/perform the same in FSX DX9 as NVidia so far as clouds are concerned. Same performance boost as running in DX10 in fact. I have both DX10 and 9 patched and performance is the same. AA is still superior in DX10 though as is lighting and water. Until devs get behind DX10, SM3 based DX9 works for ATI people just fine. :)

C.