I'm looking to purchase a good Sim Monitor around 24" give or take. Also I currently have a HP 17". Would it be feasible to keep and use the 17" for maybe showing gauges?

I think it depends in your video card. You will certainly notice the difference going from 17in to 24in.

I have a AOC E2752Vh and it's an excellent monitor for FSX. It's 27", a bit bigger than what you want, but it has great features. It has a high resolution at 1920x1080, and it also has HDMI, DVI, and VGA inputs. As Will said, check your video card. Also, keep in mind your card will run at a high temperature with 2 monitors connected to it.

I would recommend the biggest TV you can get. I use a 42" and its great for long flights while sitting on the lazy boy couch with a glass of rum - as real as it gets lol :P   ! 

Though to be honest for Short hops I dont mind the laptop at all though (15") with a 17" connected for maps. 

Bigger screen means higher resolution means stronger GPU and CPU needed. Higher resolution means sharper images. Bigger screen means more immersion. TN monitors suffer from angle-problem. IPS are great, but expensive. IPS also has much better colors. If TV, then you have relatively low resolution for the screen size, meaning you will likely have to put it further away... there is a compromise in everything. There is no good or best sim monitor/screen IMO. All you can chose is the lesser of the evils.

I bought a QNIX 27inch monitor which runs at 2560x1440 and up to 120hz, which is an IPS monitor with a Samsung panel.

Got it for $270USD delivered.

I can also highly recommend the Yamakazi Catleap pixel perfect monitors. Great value for money.

I have an Intel ( R ) HD Graphics.       

1080x 1024 with 32 bit color depth.

Intel ( R ) Core ( TM ) i5-3330 CPU@3.00GHz

With the above info. do you think my system can handle the larger screen? Do you think it could handle my old monitor too? Thanks in advance.

*misquote

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Bigger screen means higher resolution means stronger GPU and CPU needed. Higher resolution means sharper images. Bigger screen means more immersion. TN monitors suffer from angle-problem. IPS are great, but expensive. IPS also has much better colors. If TV, then you have relatively low resolution for the screen size, meaning you will likely have to put it further away... there is a compromise in everything. There is no good or best sim monitor/screen IMO. All you can chose is the lesser of the evils.

Sorry Simon, I hate to correct you my firend, but higher sized monitors/TV's don't necessarily come wih higher resolutions, in fact that is the exception rather than the rule. All large TV's as far as I know, run at 1920x1080, even the 50" plasmas! Certainly any of the 37" 42" big screens all run at that resoluton, so in fact they are running at exactly the same resoulution as a 24"! In effect there is no more CPU draw by using a 42" running at 1920x1080 than there is running a 24" at the same resolution. The exception would be running one of the Dell or Apple screens (or similar) that run at 2560x1600, these are true computer monitors, returning a native 16x10 format and would be the 27" or 30" screens and are truly exceptional in terms of quality. Of course these screens do have a small impact on CPU draw due to the extra resolution being generated.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

If you want to splash out $17,000+, I would recommend a nice 80" or 100" 4K TV...That should do the trick! ^_^

I have an Intel ( R ) HD Graphics.       

1080x 1024 with 32 bit color depth.

Intel ( R ) Core ( TM ) i5-3330 CPU@3.00GHz

With the above info. do you think my system can handle the larger screen? Do you think it could handle my old monitor too? Thanks in advance.

With on-board video, I'd be looking for a dedicated video card to get the most out of FSX, especially if going to a higher resolution and wanting to run some Anti-aliasing and AF filtering.

If you want to splash out $17,000+, I would recommend a nice 80" or 100" 4K TV...That should do the trick! ^_^

Absolutely Caiaran, I'd forgotten about this new breed of monitors. I saw one only last week at an exhibition, it was absolutely mind blowing! No doubt within a fairly short time they too will become the 'standard,'

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Monitors, Video Cards and Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Absolutely Caiaran, I'd forgotten about this new breed of monitors. I saw one only last week at an exhibition, it was absolutely mind blowing! No doubt within a fairly short time they too will become the 'standard,'

I have yet to see one in person, but when I do, I'm sure my mouth will drop (I have an eye for color).

Lets hope the price will drop significantly like those 3D TV's have the past four years or so.

If TV, then you have relatively low resolution for the screen size, meaning you will likely have to put it further away

I switched from a 27" Phillips monitor to a 42" Phillips TV, running the same resolution as before and didn't need to put it farther away. looks just as sharp as the Monitor did. TV's has come a long way in image quality over the years....