Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kurt

FS9.cfg modifications- a guide?

Guest daveg4otu

There are a lot of changes that can be made to the FS9.cfg file that will affect performance , display etc.The obvious and often quoted one here is the Terrain Max Vertex Level but there are many others of which many of us know very littlePerhaps one of the real "experts" on the CFG file could be persuaded to post a list of the most useful mods on here - that post then maybe could be kept as a "sticky" at the top of the forum.Dave

Guest gmorar

I was just about to post on the same issue. After the patch I'm not really sure what to touch or what to keep the same. Is there anyone expert on this? Please.... Thanks in advance..Gabriel

Hi Dave, GabrielTry this:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=3614&page=3The golden rule is to try not to make too many changes outside the sim and repeatedly overwrite the original file. This will, believe it or not, lead to rapid degradation of the sim's ability to scan this file efficiently. Whenever I make changes I always save the file with an '_a' before the .cfg extension, i.e. fs9_a.cfg. I then delete the original file and rename the new file to take its place. I then defrag. I know it all sounds a little tedious but I have found that by doing this I have preserved performance on my rig very successfully...despite currently being unable to install the 9.1 update :(Mike

Guest daveg4otu

Thanks Mike - that's a step in the right direction However ,I was thinking of perhaps some explanation of exactly what (for instance) the various Terrain settings do - and so on.TMVL is about the only one I understand completely.Dave

Try this:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...sg_id=230&page=11th post down by Chris WillisAs an aside here it is perhaps worth noting that the 9.1 update doesn't alter anything in fs9.cfg - I've just compared this file with a copy made before applying the update and they are exactly the same.I believe the same may apply to display.cfg although I have only checked the ATI sections. Prior to the update I removed the entry made by me several months ago referring to my 9800 Pro and there has been no changes or additions made after the update. I'm now convinced that any such additions are irrelevant and the file can safely be ignored. In fact some folk have tried deleting the file and it made no scrap of difference to performance.Mike

Guest daveg4otu

Thanks Mike - exactly what I wanted.Dave

Guest gmorar

Mike, Thanks! It's very helpful !Gabriel

Guest yarvelling

Mike, whilst the patch itself may not make any changes in the config, after applying and then doing a test flight, I did find numerous small changes had been made by FS9 in order to accomodate some of the visual changes made by the patch. I had copied my original config file, just in case (!!) and compared it with the 'new'; throughout thte whole of the display settings area, there where small changes, which to my mind, have actualy enhanced the overall visuals, and helped maybe smooth-out the performance, beyond my original, and modified (using tips and hints from other posts here), config.

Hi,Any chance you could detail any changes noted by you?In my usual fashion I deleted the fs9.cfg file following the update and let the sim set it up again. Apart from various values being reset to their defaults (and would be changed normally by me) I did note that the following lines were slightly different:TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=0 (4.500000)<----my settingTERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=0 (4.500000)<----dittoTERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=232 (1)<-----dittoOh, and I noted three additional key assignments, viz.,PAUSE_TOGGLE#1=19,8ATC#1=145,8INVOKE_HELP#1=191,11Otherwise, everything seemed much as it was pre update.Mike

Guest Kurt

My default value for TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS= has also changed to a 3 digit number, before the update it would default to a 7 digit number.Kurt M