Sign in to follow this  
Guest oyvindhansen

Runway 27 at KSAN

Hi everyone, has anyone been able to take-off and land from runway 27 at KSAN? This is the primary landing and departing runway at KSAN most of the time onless there is fog or santa anna winds then they user runway 9. It seemd that San Diego tower always instructs me & the traffic to land and tafe-off on runway 9 and never 27 even when winds are from the coast.....anyone else expreince this? Thry requesting take-off from KSAN and downloadable weather (default) and let me know what the tower gives you 27 or 9?Thanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Guest oyvindhansen

Haven't tried the default airport, but when i use Flytampa KSAN i get 27 most of the time. It could be an AFCAD issue, try downloading a replacement.-

Will do, hopefully that will do the trick.Thanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Guest oyvindhansen

Just checked my afcad at KSAN. It appears that RW9 has been selected closed for takeoff, which would explain the frequent use of 27. Maybe that is the solution. -

Guest bobsk8

I believe that some carriers require a special certification for landings at San Diego due to the complexity of the approach. The usual landing is down the glidepath on rwy 27 and has the advantage for the passengers, of being able to look in peoples living room windows as they make the approach down this rather steep hill that ends prior to the runway threshold. Taking off on 9 would have you trying to climb with the hill ahead of you, hence the probable reason for having 27 as the active. The winds are usally from the west too, if memory serves me.

Well, gave it shots and placed the winds 277 at 8kts and still KSAN tower only used runway 9. I opened KSAN with AFCAD Editor and both 9 adn 27 were open for landing and take-off traffic. I compared mine with the default KSAN that FS9 came with and there is nothing different about it except the one I have has Project AI gate assignment. Im clueless, plus I dont want to close runway 9 nice in poor weather I would need it.Try to download the middle version of KSAN here at let me know if it happens to any of you folks out there:http://afcad.projectai.com/general/index.phpJust type KSAN under the search on the right side and download the middle KSAN version (general user)Then choose to download the default weather in FS and let me know what the ATIS is saying for the active runway.Thanks,Bill

Bob, The fact of the matter is the aproach does not have a glideslope. There is no ILS to 27, only a localizer approach with stepdown fixes and fairly high minimums due to the parking garage and the terrain.No special cert is required here at Delta, and I don't believe anyone else does either. Most of the time we use 27 for noise abatement and also due to the fact that heavier aircraft can't actually take off and meet second segment climb requirements due to the short runway, rising terrain and obstacles on the departure path. It's not really that challenging an approach actually, and the garage is not that big a factor either. The only time we use 9 at KSAN is when it's foggy at night or some stiff Santa Ana is blowing.Hornit

Well, I made sure runway 9 and 27 were open for landing and take-off traffic and set the winds 270 at 18kts, guess which runway KSAN Tower still used...runway 9....what the heck, I remember when the tower used to give me clearance to taxi to runway 27 and now I dont seem to get that anymore...weird.Bill

Guest oyvindhansen

For unknown reasons fs seems to prefer certain runways at certain airports, I have seem this other place too. Closing rw9 can solve the problem at the cost of wrong in some cases, but now it is wrong in most cases. -

Well, I went into AFCAD and chose the stock KSAN and saved that one under:FL916200.bgl which was its current location...load FS and the KSAN from Project AI was still there and the tower was using runway 27 this time with winds calm...but all of a sudden all the other aiports around San Diego were gone.....disapeared..so I copyed the FL916200.bgl file from the CD back to the scenery folder and KSAN and all the aiports are back however runway 9 is always in use again no matter what weather conditions are applied....Im confused as why it worked before but all the other airports dissapeared...Any Help!Thanks,Bill

Looks like LAX is the same too....ILS runways are from the west..no matter if its a calm day..Bill

If it's a calm day, FS will usually use the lower numbered runways. Set a bit of wind from 270 (a few knots), go to the Map, change your heading by one degree, and click OK. Should be using 24/25 now.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Yup, tried that....ATIS still saying ILS runway 9 in use...puzzledThanks Tom,Bill

Guest DZollner

You, by chance, aren't changing the winds after you load up at SAN are you? If so, set up the flight (weather, departure, time, and aircraft) from 'Create A Flight' and see if that cures your problem.