Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

Turboprop startup not realistic

Hi, as some of you have probably noticed by now, turboprop aircraft in FSX (and FS9 for that matter) do not start like their real-life counterparts.  In real life, when you engage the starter, the prop will slowly begin to spin and gradually gain speed until ignition occurs.  In the sim there is little rotation and the prop literally goes from not moving to full speed in an instant.

I have found that the Basler PT6 DC-3 conversion correctly models what a real PT6 startup looks like.  So my question, what other aircraft out there (payware or freeware) do this?  And how can we edit aircraft to represent startup more accurately?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

The Majestic Dash 8 has a really nice start up sequence. 

BTW, even the jet engines don't start in a realistic way in FS... Only very few add-ons do. 

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

I believe that this is one of those FSX flaws/bugs that is annoying to those who really know how these things start. I agree with Epikk on the Majestic dash 8. The RealAir Duke turbine is another pretty good one. It will keep turning feathered until you move the mixture lever forward.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

The MicroSoft FlightSim engine has some inherent flaws, realistic start for piston props and turboprops are among them.  Some add-on developers have been able to make realistic starts possible.

Ant's T-28D for FSX is the latest to have a realistic start.

A2A Simulations has several aircraft with the optional AccuSim package that adds realistic start up in addition to realistic systems and engine management.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

A2A Simulations has several aircraft with the optional AccuSim package that adds realistic start up in addition to realistic systems and engine management.

Which is really a non issue since A2A haven't modelled any turboprops yet. And afair haven't even got any on their long term radar. How Accusim is with jets will be interesting when the F104/F4 are finished, though.

Does the Aeroworx King Air work in FSX at all?

As nice as the Aeroworx King Air for FS9 was, one thing they definitely did not get right was the sound change on blade pitch angle change... A major component of the  noise of any turboprop is the propellor, if not THE major component. As you take the blades out of fine pitch and reduce RPM, the sound should drop in pitch, ie the note should be lower...

The Q400 does this exactly as far as my ears can tell, the RA Duke Royal Turbine Conversion as well...

A

The soon to be released Flight 1 King Air B200 will have full active Beta (Ground Fine position) as well RW startup.

Russ

Yeah, you can't expect anything realistic from a default aircraft.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Aeroworx King Air. Suburb modeled turboprop.Probably better then most. Get the starting sequence wrong, watch for a very expensive repair and no flying until its done!!

Does it have failures, wear and tear or something similar? You made me curious about this addon...

And how is the VC graphics compared to e.g A2A, Real Air standards?

Edit: ah nevermind I see now it's for FS9 :mellow:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the PMDG J41 or the Aerosoft Bronco.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the PMDG J41 or the Aerosoft Bronco.

Me too B)

Love the Bronco when I screw up and the engine catches fire at 10000 feet, scares the ###### out of me. I'm not yet 100% confident with that plane, and every time I get in the cockpit Im actually praying to higher forces that Im gonna make it this time. :lol: