Sign in to follow this  
fwerff

Why no good DC-3 available?

Back in the FS2002/FS2004 days MAAM did a pretty good job at replicating the DC-3.

I know there are ports to bring this addon to FSX, but it's not nearly as good in FSX as it could be.

My dream is to have an A2A rendition of the DC-3 and while looking into this, I noticed there is actually only one FSX native DC-3; the one from Justflight.

Now the DC-3 from Justflight is not the worst airplane ever, but in my opinion it doesn't do the grand old lady of aviation any justice.

The DC-3 is without a doubt one of the most (if not the most) famous proplines ever existed. Still no top quality high detail DC-3 is available for FSX.

Why not? There are still lots of DC-3's out there either stored or still active, tons of reference material is available and easy to obtain. Why doesn't A2A or any other respected developer pick up the development? I'm sure a lot of people would buy it .

Any insight on this? Would be nice if some developers would chime in as well...

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

I would LOVE to see the DC3/C47 in FSX in accusim-like form. Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I consider it, in my opinion, to be one of the most iconic and beautiful aircraft ever built, along with the Spitfire...

Perhaps the community should set up a donation fund to get Scott to develop one with accusim... I would happily put €100 towards this. Get a few thousand similar minds together, and you have quite a sum...

A

A realistic DC3 in PMDG or A2A quality is in there for the number one things I want for FSX.

A2A would do a magnificent job. PMDG are creating the DC-6, which is going to be a stunner without a doubt! Hopefully some time soon either of these devs will jump onto the DC3 and show her in all its glory.

My understanding is that no one will develop a DC-3 because it could take away from MAAM DC-3 sales and no one wants to do that. This has been mentioned on the A2A site.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

If you don't mind turboprops, Manfred Jahn's BT-67 is quite nice, and freeware.  I agree tho, an A2A or PMDG C-47/DC-3 package would be awesome.  Milviz could do a great job too I think.  My grandfather was a C-47 pilot during WW2.  That reliable old gooney bird brought him home every time.  There are still operations in Latin/South America that can only be handled by a DC-3 with its ruggedness and load carrying ability.  It can never be replaced.

Cheers

TJ

My understanding is that no one will develop a DC-3 because it could take away from MAAM DC-3 sales and no one wants to do that. This has been mentioned on the A2A site.

Hook

I thought the MAAM developer no longer would do anything on the DC3, maybe any new DC3 developer could hook up with MAAM instead, problem solved.

It may not be the piston version, but the Basler BT-67 Base Pack (see bottom of page 2 for the aircraft) is arguably one of the best freeware aircraft I have ever downloaded for any flight simulator.  Indeed, it's one of the best aircraft I've ever used in FSX, freeware or payware.  Some really outstanding work by these guys.

Definitely worth a DL.

To be honest, in my opinion the old MAAM one is better.

VC lacks functionality and the flight model is far from accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAAM canceled the project to build an FSX native version. Not sure why but I know developer Roy Chaffin was never a fan of FSX and the development quirks it brought.

I will try the Basler, but I prefer the old piston lady

Yea but it looks nice and it flies ok its hard to replicate the heavy feeling a the real Dc-3s controls In a flight sim. Did I mention they were heavy I will say that flying that Dc-3 was the highlight of my time as a pilot. I don't have much Dc-3 time but the time I do have has left my face stuck in a permanent smile.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Will also recommend the Basler, I use the sonic solutions Twin Otter sound pack as well which makes it sound sweet, however would buy a great DC3 in an instant, would even put in to kickstarter for one, especially as started flying with BuffaloVA.

Those capable publishers are too busy designing another Cessna´s and Boeing´s. But, we have a descent DC-2 and by buying it, you support aviation history.

There is another FSX native version! ........

(small print:    but it's a DC-2 not a DC-3, but they are pretty similar!)

Now there was an old FS9 version of this DC-2, but this is actually a full, native FSX re-development.

This one too supports a real world DC-2 maintenance, in the Netherlands

It has excellent FDE and some good failure stuff, such as the need to hand pump the landing gear if it fails!

Uiver DC-2:-           http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=dc2fsxflight1

:smile:

There is another FSX native version! ........

(small print: but it's a DC-2 not a DC-3, but they are pretty similar!)

Now there was an old FS9 version of this DC-2, but this is actually a full, native FSX re-development.

This one too supports a real world DC-2 maintenance, in the Netherlands

It has excellent FDE and some good failure stuff, such as the need to hand pump the landing gear if it fails!

Uiver DC-2:- http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=dc2fsxflight1

:smile:

Yeah, I have that one. Bought it to support the Dutch aircraft.

But still.... It's not the A2A-quality DC-3 I dream off...

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg