Sign in to follow this  
hero93

Why do painters never use Parking Codes?

Hi,

first of all I want to thank all those talented painters who contribute so much to our community, but:

Every time I add a new livery to one of my aircraft I have to add the parking codes myself to the aircraft.cfg.

Of course it is no big deal, but I wonder why the painters don't add the codes, as they release all the other cfg entries?

It is so simple, just add the line:

atc_parking_codes=*ICAO code of the airline*

Daniel

I agree completely.  But, I'm sure it's easy to miss since it's not in the cfg file by default either.  So, when a paint is completed, it's a copy and paste from an existing entry in aircraft.cfg and of course the existing entry doesn't contain it either.  Then, the paint is released without the parking codes.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I've never put them in simply because most of our flying is done on the VATSIM network and the parking code is never really used. I rely on a controller for that or myself if none is available. Never had any of our team ask that question either. Good question.

I always thought the parking codes were utilized only by AI aircraft. Never really looked into it.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

The parking codes are used by GSX along with default MS ATC.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Simple reason not to add the parking codes : Only works with airports where the parking codes are added in the first palce ( with afcad or whatever programme is used these days ) . Fly to an airport where " your " airline normally does not fly to , what happens then ? And if you fly to an airport where your airline is normally seen , just taxi to a gate where it would normally be found .

Do all developers do this ? Not to my knowledge , looking in several aircraft.cfg's on my PC , not all aircraft have these lines included .

Also you state in the original post that " it's no big deal " , for a painter it means having to search for the correct code ( if it's wrong we wouldn't hear the end of it ) , as if looking at 100's of photographs before starting a repaint isn't enough !

I myself do a lot of research before painting an aircraft but have no intention of adding extra " work " to a project and I am sure that other painters feel the same , even if they do not reply here .

John Glanville

Also. What would please Jack would totally torque off Jill! Personal preferences I reckon.,

I always do. AL-WAYS!

(Also callsigns and a/c history up to that point. That's how nice I am.)

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Simple reason not to add the parking codes : Only works with airports where the parking codes are added in the first palce ( with afcad or whatever programme is used these days ) . Fly to an airport where " your " airline normally does not fly to , what happens then ? And if you fly to an airport where your airline is normally seen , just taxi to a gate where it would normally be found .

Right. It does only work with airports that have correct afcads. But still, that's not a reason not to include them. If we fly to an airport that airline doesn't fly to "then what" - well, then we get sent to any gate available anyway and no harm done by already having it in the config. Taxiing to or choosing a gate where our airline would normally go to on our own then requires the user to check the afcad somehow to see where their airline gates are. Not impossible, but a heck of a lot harder than adding these 2 lines to the config once in the beginning and being done with it.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. Like was said, it is not that big a deal really. Would it be nice if it was there and was "the standard" to do that for all painters, definitely. But, I'm used to doing it myself as, like has been said here, that's the norm - for painters not to do it. So, it's something I always check when installing a new paint.

I'm not trying to argue or anything. I see your point. I've done a few paints myself and it's not easy work, that's for sure. I'm sure all of us here would rather have the repaints with missing parking than not have them at all. So, I understand where you're coming from. And, we completely and totally appreciate all the hard work!!! So, it's a tiny detail that I can over look. I hope this reads in the way I intend it to and not in a negative way.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Should I also state in the readme.txt that the repaint may only be flown according to the ( repainted ) airlines schedule ? Ofcourse not . Next we will have to visit each downloader at home to install the repaint for them ( as part of the service ) .

No , as I stated in my previous post , as a painter I spend a lot of time on a repaint and I find that enough , others may go the extra mile ( their choice ) . I have in the past added information to the description such as construction number or if something unusual has occured during an aircraft's service but I doubt if people even read that even though it can be seen when selecting an aircraft .

John Glanville

Either way, adding the cfg entries for parking yourself is sub 10 second process.  You're already in there anyways adding the aircraft. 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Should I also state in the readme.txt that the repaint may only be flown according to the ( repainted ) airlines schedule ?

Well, a general "routes flown by this aircraft" would be swell.

Old timetables more often than not do not include equipment type an I'm left scratching my head trying to figure out where, say Piedmont took its 732s.

Either way, adding the cfg entries for parking yourself is sub 10 second process.  You're already in there anyways adding the aircraft. 

True, with the exception of airlines whose ICAO codes you don't know.

You don't need to tell me. For RetroAI, I needed to bind so many unknown airlines' ICAO codes that it isn't even funny anymore.

Oh well, it is.

A bit.

Hi Dan,

The parking code data is only used by AI planes - in both FS2004 & FSX.

So the line in the config is entirely redundant for your own aircraft parking.

Kind Rgds,

Chris.