Sign in to follow this  
hero93

Why do painters never use Parking Codes?

The parking code data is only used by AI planes - in both FS2004 & FSX.

So the line in the config is entirely redundant for your own aircraft parking.

Really?  Are you sure about this?  I'm not saying it's not as I'm not 100% sure myself.  But, I can tell you this, when I have a paint that does not have the airline's ICAO code in it for parking, GSX does not know which gates are "my airline" and default ATC just sends me to whatever parking spot is at the top of the list in the AFCAD.  Not the top one available for my airline.  When I have this line in the cfg, I get correctly assigned parkings from default ATC and GSX knows which gates are "my airline".

Maybe this has just been coincidence for me, but I don't think so.  But, I am always curious to learn.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

No, it's not. It's also used for parking assignment for userspace aircraft.

Source: Many a flight.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Perhaps...

1. Ask Aerosoft & PMDG, why they both apparently 'forgot' to include the parking codes in their latest products.

2. do a test - disable ALL AI; close FSX; set an airfield with two unique airlines codes in the parking spots; and land/request parking from the SAME taxiway with TWO variants of the SAME aircraft type; using each of the codes set in the spots. And you'll find that ATC directs you to the same parking both times, rather than a spot associated with the parking code.

Kind Rgds,

Chris.

Kind Rgds,

Chris.

Hi Chris.

Im sorry to say your information is a bit wrong.

The main issue is that developers of airports and aircraft tend not to set them up ( some do but not all and then they can be wrong or out of date ) so its left to us and we can end up putting in the wrong codes as the parking code in the airport must match what we put in the aircraft.cfg and then we can only park there if the other data in the aircraft.cfg and airport has been set up correctly. Sadly if one thing is wrong like the wingspan then atc wont give us the correct parking bay.

There is a lot more to correct parking than atc_parking_codes in the aircraft.cfg

-Paul-

2. do a test - disable ALL AI; close FSX; set an airfield with two unique airlines codes in the parking spots; and land/request parking from the SAME taxiway with TWO variants of the SAME aircraft type; using each of the codes set in the spots. And you'll find that ATC directs you to the same parking both times, rather than a spot associated with the parking code.

Do you mean set both airline ICAO codes for the same parking spot in the AFCAD of the airport and then see what gate/parking spot ATC gives you?  If that is the case, then I would expect to get the same gate both times for each variant as ATC will pick the first available parking spot that matches the ICAO code configured in the aircraft.cfg(assuming no other traffic is already in that spot like AI) and that gate would match both variants.

If you mean set one parking spot with one code and a different parking spot with the other code, then you should be assigned to different gates based on ICAO code in your aircraft.cfg for the respective variant.

I have never tried to test this exactly as you say(and can't right now) but, this has always been the case for me.  If I download a new variant that doesn't have the ICAO parking codes in it's aircraft.cfg, I do not get assigned a gate for the airline variant I'm flying (assuming again that the AFCAD has correct assignments).  I then realize this after my first flight to said airport and then go set it in it's aircraft.cfg.  The next time I return to said airport with same variant, I get a correctly assigned gate for my airline(assuming here that my airline parking spots are not already full).

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Kind Rgds,

Chris.

sort of done that test and it gave me a different parking spot NGX House Colours 800WL gate 20 ( no parking codes on that gate ) and NGX 800WL British Airways ( BAW for parking code ) and it gave me Gate B18 which has the parking code BAW in the AFCAD, this is at Aerosoft LFMN which has the wrong parking codes asigned to most of its gates.

-Paul-

Well you live and learn! just did a similar test & it seems that FSX does recognise the parking codes in the FSX config files for user-driven aircraft.

I have a modified parking file for LFMN & from the threshold of 22R, Lufthansa and Air France repaints of the Airbus Extended are directed to their respective terminals ...once the parking codes are added to the aircraft.

I think part of the problem that can happen with correct parking codes in both the afcad and aircraft.cfg is that the sim will give pirorty to AI traffic that is incoming even if you have landed, and the reason for the age old, when i move my aircraft out of the parking bay another one will apear there even though there is lots of empty parking bays at the airport.

-Paul-