Sign in to follow this  
kerosene31

Saitek X45 Flightstick and Throttle Combi

Guest frankathl

Is anyone using the above system in FS2004?I recently received a present of one, but have not installed it yet, as the main controls on throttle and joystick seemed quite stiff. Now this could just be because they are new, but I must say I found the action jerky compared with the infrared technology of the Microsoft Sidewinder Pro. Also, I'm not sure if you can have more than one joystick installed, and am afraid of messing up the Sidewinder settings.Would be grateful for any opinions, and also how you have the various buttons and switches set up.Thanks a lot,Frank

I use them and they are my favorite setup (I also use CH rudder pedals instead of the rocker switch). I like the stiffness of the Saitek gear. Most control devices are just way to flimsy and loose for me. Of course it comes down to user preference. As to having more than one joystick installed, it will work no problem. I currently have the Saitek stick and throttle, CH yoke, and CH rudder pedals all in use at once (my computer desk is a mess!) If you run into conflicts, you can just edit the assignments in the fs9 control menu. I don't even use the saitek software, I just program the buttons right through flightsim. It all works great.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Stryker

I have the X45. I use the stick part from my older X36 because the 45 was so stiff in the center. As far as the friction on the throttle there is a screw in the bottom of the base labeled "friction" to adjust that.There is a "home-made" remedy to make the X45 not so stiff in the center. If I ever find the link I'll post it. Basically it involved something like finding some smooth plastic (like a VHS or DVD case) and making a ring out of it that protrudes from under the ring already at the base of the spring. The objective of this is to keep the plastic ring that comes with the joystick at the bottom of the spring from being able to "stick" in it's little resting place so easily. This ultimately has the effect of making the joystick looser in the center and tighter at the edges. It's a lot of fun to fly the "heavies" with this stick combo.

Guest Stryker
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bb...TML/001082.htmlThere's the link to the "sticky spring" fix, if that's what you're having.Controls:hat: viewother hat up/down: elevator trimthrottle hat up/down: flapsthrottle hat side/side: switch view"A" button: left brake"B" button: right braketrigger: main brakes"C" button: gear"pinkie switch": speedbrakes"mouse hat" up: strobes"mouse hat" down: landing lights"mouse fire": F2 (for reversers)"thumb" rotary: prop"other" rotary: mixtureI have the other controls mapped to stuff but since i can't remember what i use them for i probably didn't think them through too well so it's not worth putting here. :)This is just my own configuration that i pretty much threw together. It may not be the most ergonomic but you may get some ideas from it.

Guest frankathl

Thanks, Craig!Hmm, so the stiffness is a "feature" of the stick, rather than just newness? It's the pitch and roll controls that would bother me the most, I think. Still, I should try it out before I start complaining!!Appreciate your advice,BR,Frank

Guest frankathl

Hi Jeremy,As you and Craig have pointed out, the controls are stiffer than on some other sticks, which was the thing I noticed immediately. That's useful to know, as I would probably else be thinking there was something wrong! Many thanks for taking the trouble to get all this information!! I haven't explored any of this, as I said, so it's handy to have your assignments. It's also encouraging that you guys are using it and like it. I'm certainly going to give it a try now! :-).Best wishes,Frank

If I remember, they do loosen up a bit after you use it. I have had mine for a while now so I don't remember exactly. You might just need to break it in a litte.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF