Sign in to follow this  
Vaga1

Albeo Staggerwing

And I guess the reflection of the yoke on the instrument panel doesn't actually move when you the yoke....

yeah the reflection is fixed to the yoke. 

Impressions so far, this Staggerwing seems to be par for the course for Alabeo/Carenado release.  Very beautiful visuals at the expense of system depth.

There is no real documentation other than simple specs list.   No checklist, no power settings/fuel burn charts.  Can't comment too much on FDE as I don't have any real time in a Staggerwing either.  If Bernt Stolle did it I would imagine it is pretty realistic.  The prop control behavior seems goofy tho.  Seem to be getting more 'power' by pulling the prop control back.  With no documentation its hard to tell if this is realistic or not. It would be nice to also have the fuel system and recommended fuel tank order explained in some sort of manual.

As noted above, missing mag compass numbers.  I also can't find an alternate air/carb heat switch and the carb temp gauge appears to be inop.   Mag switch behaved goofy during mag check, unable to properly cycle mags during runup check.   

Sounds wise seem pretty good, tho to me the interior flaps and gear sounds seem excessively loud compared to the engine.  It has been my experience even in a 172, you can't really hear the flap motor over the engine.  This could also be my own volume settings.

Animations in the VC seem pretty good, tho the Stag's car style windows don't appear to roll up or down.

I have always wanted an FSX Staggerwing so I didn't wait until this went to the F1 wrapper like I usually do with Alabeo/Carenado products.  Hindsight I wish I  would have waited. 

Again, visually it is very beautiful, no doubt it will be the subject of many beautiful screenshots.  FDE could be good but without documentation or any references it is hard to know for sure. 

Cheers

TJ

after playing around a little with it...the prop controls seem to be reversed...pulling it all the way out gives max power...they somehow messed that up

also the lack of any docs is rather disappointing

Huh... This is what I have to look forward to? Ugh. At least it was only 20 bucks.

Service pack anyone?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The model is stunningly gorgeous.. like, really, the best I have ever seen. The environment mapping makes it look basically photoreal...

But how the heck do issues like missing compasses and reversed prop controls go missed?  It seriously boggles my mind.

It's Carenado... errr their sister company.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I've been waiting for this one. Disappointed in the lack of documentation though. Still, I've always wanted a Staggerwing in my hangar. Will be buying it soon.

Sent from my Android powered phone via TapaTalk

The compass it's fixed by re download the installer, but the sound on VC is getting really lower after some time and the battery get drained.

With this kind of aircraft I would love to invite Kate Beckinsale for a romantic ride.

Pretty much all been said. My view is that for $20 no one should complain, there's more than $20 worth of eye candy! Not for the anally retentive I'd guess. :biggrin:

Flying it is fun, landing it is easy but the roll out can be a bit scary in that it wants to dig a wing into the ground and go back to the start of the runway! Got the hang of it after a few landings.

Some screens of an online flight with Freebird(Josh) and Great Ozzie (Rob)

stagger1.jpg

stagger2.jpg

stagger3.jpg

On finals for a landing at Revelstoke, Oshkosh stylee

stagger4.jpg

Climbing out from Tipella....also Oshkosh styee :biggrin:

Good fun little plane, well worth having.

To put a GPS pop up in size is everything!

[Window01]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=75,165
position=0
visible=0
zorder=8
ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=gps!gps,  0,0,75,165

This puts a 295 in. The size suits me because I drag it on to a separate screen.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

No thanks.     Reversed prop control and practically no documentation?     Tells you right there this was put together by computer programmers with little or no actual flight experience or input from a real pilot of any kind.      Essentially a visually stunning Abacus-type aircraft.     

If you want something that looks like a Beech Staggerwing and you're willing to part with 20 bucks, go for it.     If you want something that both looks and flies like the real aircraft, you're out of luck I'm afraid.    Save your money and buy the A2A Mustang or one of Realair's excellent planes.    

I feel like Ron, except the prop issue. That's really basic and too stupid to miss during testing argh.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

For power settings look at other 450 wasp powered planes ie beech 18 or goose but honestly just keep the map and rpm in the green and you should be fine as for fuel switchtanks every 30 min to keep them even. For speeds rotate at 70Is suck the gear lower the nose keep it about 10 feet off the runway till you hit 100 retact the flaps then climb at 100-130 to keep the clys cool I know some might say climb at vx or vy but that's a great way to stall and get killed if you loose power on take off. I learned that from my dad and he from his father who started flying in the 20s what they have always told me is speed is life. In fsx it doesn't matter how you fly but I fly the Sim like I do the real thing.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Yeah but flying in ground effect isn't a best practice either. There are V speeds for a reason in aviation.

Climb out at Vy or cruise climb.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I'd like to confirm the broken prop control.  In addition to that, the mixture seems to behave kind of goofy too.  If you lean the mixture, it will show an increase on the RPM gauge all the way until it cuts off, but the engine sound will indicate an initial increase in RPM until peak, like it should, but then a decrease in the SOUND of the RPM, also like it should.  The RPM gauge seems to be completely inop.

It looks fantastic though.