Sign in to follow this  
xpHolmes

Autopilot commands a higher speed suddenly (on its own!)

Hello,

I've searched both the PMDG forum and the FS2Crew forum to see if anyone else has had this problem. Nothing has come yet but that's not to say that there isn't something already out there in the forums!

I recognise that this is most likely to be a user-error, but could be related to something to do with an add-on, such as the FS2Crew Voice Command.

The problem:

Basically, on a number of occasions when on final approach, with both autopilots engaged and approach speed selected, at some point during the approach (est. 2000-1000ft) the autopilot speed dial suddenly starts rotating and selects a higher speed (it just keeps rotating up to a the highest selectable speed). I can't change this speed manually until a 30 seconds or so have passed. (Sorry this is imprecise and I hope to get some more detailed descriptions as I think this is happening at a specific stage/height of the approach). I'll do some more testing to see if there is a specific pattern to this situation occurring. I should note, that it doesn't happen on every approach.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this or has any suggestions as to a solution.

Best wishes,

Martin

Basically, on a number of occasions when on final approach, with both autopilots engaged and approach speed selected, at some point during the approach (est. 2000-1000ft) the autopilot speed dial suddenly starts rotating and selects a higher speed (it just keeps rotating up to a the highest selectable speed)

Sounds like FS2Crew heard you say something that sounded like a speed command.  Remember that speech recognition is not perfect, and the computer is trying to attach all of your commands to its database of what it's listening for.  If it sounds remotely like a speed command, off it goes.

I'd suggest running the Windows voice training a little longer (not for you, rather for the computer to get a better understanding of your voice).  Additionally, you may want to configure hard/soft mute keys to ensure it's not listening to you when you're not speaking to it.  As an example, I hard mute any time I step away from the computer, and any period of time I'm not going to be speaking to it (cruise, long periods between commands, etc).

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle, I'll try that ASAP. I was thinking it was more likely to do with FS2Crew. I'll let you know.

"Also note that if the autopilot 'runs-away' you can also use the speech command 'CANCEL LAST COMMAND' to stop the run-away."

Excerpt from the FS2Crew manual that may be of use also.

What I do is mute FS2Crew as much as possible so he doesn't react on something it thinks he heard.

Also I have the green bar displaying what the speech engine recognizes.

I still have the problem with the speed running away when issueing speed commands - however it seems only related to speed below a certain knots...so no more speed commands for FS2Crew..that has become my button/knob now. (cfr. FS2Crew forum too)

And ofcourse speech training might improve things too..