Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

My left main gear sinks into the ground after touchdown...

Not sure what happened but after hundreds of successful flights in the NGX all of a sudden I've had a problem on a couple of landings lately where the left part of the main gear sinks into the ground shortly after touchdown :O

When it happened the first time I felt really embarresed thinking what did I do wrong...did I actually just perform a crash landing...then when it happened the second time I really started to get puzzled and now it just happened again so thought I ask about this seeking some advice what might be causing this.

This last time I checked my landing using replay and as far as I could tell it was very nice and smooth and I also had that confirmed when checking the flightlog I get from Aivlasoft EFB which showed me my descent rate on touchdown was 164 ft/min which should be well within safe margins.

I know these type of weird things can happen due to a bug in the scenery but this has happened at different airports and I've landed with no problems at all these airports before without any problems.

Starting to doubt my piloting skills here guys :wink: so would really appreciate any feedback.

Richard Åsberg

Hello Richard, did you buy Any new addon before these accidents? Did you check you didn't trigger any auto failure by mistake? What about cross winds? Autobrakes? Everything normal?

Personally i face sudden unplanned failures, and a reboot will make them disappear.

Nope, haven't bought anything new lately. The latest change I did to my FSX installation was I started using GSX in combination with AES, earlier I used AES exclusively but can't imagine that could have anything to do with this.

I did check for failures and all clear, no failures and I haven't enabled any random failures but I do have Service-based enabled but again...no active failures when this has happened.

Don't remember if I had any cross winds the first two landings when this happened but today I did have some cross winds coming from my right hand side forcing me to crab a bit but only about 10 knots so nothing spectacular and after touchdown I used a bit rudder to line up the nose gear with the centerline just fine before the nose gear touched down.

Everthing else normal as far as I can tell, a normal ILS approach into 05L at EDDL using autobrake level 2, flaps 30 and I think the VREF was about 138 and all this is in the 738 with winglets (SAS LN-RRH).

Very strange all this indeed but guess I'll just have to 'get up there again' :wink: Although only a simulator after having a couple of these "crash landings" and especially since I do all my flying online you almost start to feel a bit nervous for real so maybe I should feel lucky since that is one of those few senstions normally missing in FSX compared to RL :wink:

hum it might be a developer problem... had the same in the past...

You mean with the airport scenery or what developer are you thinking about?

Thing is as I already mentioned I've flown to these airports many, many times before without a single problem and I haven't changed anything so I doubt it's a scenery problem to be honest...must be something else if I only could understand what... :Confused:

Richard Åsberg

Weirdly I do enjoy these rare sudden failures (happened with many aircrafts), specially the overheated maddog engines. however, If it happened twice per 200 or 300 flights, it is still within PMDG's error margins :lol: (best margin in the whole market), anyway, they will definetly have the correct and complete answer.

Happy flying,

I have had this happen to me a couple of times. And I thought to myself, 'it wasn't that heavy a drop was it?'

Also the same result, left gear down.

I have had this happen to me a couple of times. And I thought to myself, 'it wasn't that heavy a drop was it?'

Also the same result, left gear down.

OK, well...good to know I'm not the only one having seen this but would be nice to know why it happens. I still somehow think it's caused by how you land the aircraft but then again looking at my last landing when it happened tonight it wasn't a hard landing and as I wrote in my post above I had that confirmed looking at the flight log.

If it happened twice per 200 or 300 flights, it is still within PMDG's error margins

:lol:

Guess you're right

Richard Åsberg

It had happened to me once during the beta of the 783. I could never reproduce it, has never happened to me again since. And as far as I know no other beta team memeber had come acrosss this...

When happened I thought Rob would fire me for braking his beand new aircraft :)

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

No more thinking into the ground and hope it will continue like that ;)

Richard Åsberg

its a hard landing on your left gear.fsx sinks it due to its fail in your hard landing

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air

It had happened to me once during the beta of the 783. I could never reproduce it, has never happened to me again since. And as far as I know no other beta team memeber had come acrosss this...

When happened I thought Rob would fire me for braking his beand new aircraft :)

Release date?   :lol:

its a hard landing on your left gear.fsx sinks it due to its fail in your hard landing

That would have been a very logical and easy to understand explanation and that was also my first thought

"Oups...looks like I landed too hard..."

but then when it happened a second and then a third time (not in a row though) I really started to wonder what was happening since like I say in my original post above I have done hundreds of landings in the NGX at the same locations using the same scenery without ever seeing this before.

Also when I checked the replay of my landing the last time it happened what I was looking for in particular was if I indeed landed on the left gear but I didn't and I also had this confirmed by the small cloud of rubber smoke from the tires hitting the ground - they appeared exactly at the same time for the left and right side of the main gear.

As for the descent rate at the time of touchdown I consider it very normal and well within safety margins (164 ft/min) so I'm still puzzled but I'll continue flying just as normal and see what happens...so far so good :wink:

Richard Åsberg

I had this problem a couple of times in the past. It's not the result of a hard landing and no custom PMDG failure.

It always happened to me when the NGX was loaded twice, i.e by changing the livery or selecting the plane in the startup screen first, and then loading up a saved flight with the same NGX model.

You can also check if something is faulty with the plane by looking at the engines. If the engine fanblades look strange, then something has gone wrong when loading the plane, and the problem with the landing gear might occur.

I hope that helps.

Thanks a lot for your great input!

What you say about how the NGX is loaded might indeed be the problem because I always start from the same location and situation where I left the NGX and FSX last time. I do know the recommendation is to NOT do it this way but have been working perfectly fine for me except maybe now then having this issue on a couple of flights.

I know exactly what you're talking about how the fan blades can look strange sometimes after you loaded the NGX. Will keep my eyes open for this from now on before starting a new flight and hopefully that will save me from more embarrassment when having to let ATC know you're not going to be able to vacate the runway since half your gear is below ground level ;)

Richard Åsberg