Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Patch install problem - I have FS9 on 2 different hard drives

Dear All:I installed the new patch successfully to the (older) FS9 version I have on my C drive. I did not even intend to update that version. It seems that the .exe is automatically choosing this older version & updating it. However, I got a new hard drive this summer (designated F drive). I installed another version of FS9 on my new F drive. How can I get the patch to update the FS9 version I have on my F drive? Even if I rename the FS9 folder on my C drive, with the hopes that the patch .exe will not "see" the C drive version, it tells me "It appears you have already updated your version to 9.1 - Installation will be cancelled."Is there any way to get the patch to find my other version of flight sim on my F drive? (What is wierd is that when I downloaded the patch, I even downloaded it to my new F drive - nonetheless, it can't seem to find this version of FS9 on my F drive - only the one on my C drive.Any ideas?ThanksChris Catalano

The update installer looks in the Registry for the path information. Unfortunately, your's is currently pointing to the "old" version on the C drive.Rather than risk mucking up the Registry with a hand edit, simply rename the FS9 folder on your F drive and then install a "minimal" version of FS9 to your F drive.When finished, delete the new FS9 folder and rename the folder you already had on the F drive.Now your Registry path will point to the FS9 on your F drive. Run the update installer and it should work just fine.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest macman4

Chris, just curious,what is the reason you have two versions of FS9 on one computer. The reason I ask is that I replaced my old hard drive ( it died ) with a new one and partition into two (c & F ) Thanks for your input in advance, Bob McDuff

Actually, the reason I have two versions is because my original hard drive capacity was only 80 Gig. I was buying so much add-on software and scenery (including the incredibly large mega-scenery) and installing so many downloads form the AVSIM file library that it was taking up all my space. Therefore I wanted to have an entire dedicated hard drive JUST for FS9. I got a 300 Gig hard drive this summer. Rather than try to reinstall everything on the new drive, I just copied the C version to my new F drive. Then I thought, what if my new hard drive ever goes bad? So, I figured I would leave the original C version on my hard drive as a back-up copy. Thus, for those reasons, I have a version on my C drive and a version on my F drive. When you have as many add-ons and downloads from the AVSIM file library installed as I do, the thought of reinstalling evrything all over is a bit overwhelming. Thus - two versions.Chris Catalano