Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Is I5 3570K still best bang for money for FSX ?

When building a new system I had this upgrade package in mind

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010641364/dustin-uppgraderingspaket-intel-i5-3570k-s-1155/

From what I understand the new Haswell is not being more than slightly better than Ivo Bridge and where I live they are somewhat

more expensive.

Or is it stupid to not build a new system with the new haswell ?

One question that comes to my mind is this. What will happen to the prices in the nearest future for both Ivo Bridge and haswell ?

I have heard that I7 does not give any advantage over I5 when it comes to FSX. Does this apply equally for the new haswell I7 and I5 ?

I do still believe the i5  3570K is the best bang for FSX.  If you play any other games it may not be, but for gaming, if the computer is ONLY going to be used for FSX, I don't see any reason to splurge on anything bigger than an i5-3570K at this time.  Haswell might change that, but until that product is released everything is speculation based on early test runs.

I have the i5 3570k and it is the best bang for your buck. I do play many other games with this processor and paired up with the EVGA GTX550TI I really have no issue maxing out any game I play so you shouldn't have any problems. My only advice is to get a decent watercooler like the Corsair H100 or H60 and a decent motherboard that you can overclock on. You'll get the most performance from that even though it does perform well for me at low clocks. I have chosen to use the lowest overclock and I still get amazing performance out of this even being a quad core. No lag and constant frames. All in all if you setup your computer correctly and efficiently (balanced - hardware wise) you will get great performance in whatever you play or use.

I do still believe the i5  3570K is the best bang for FSX.  If you play any other games it may not be, but for gaming, if the computer is ONLY going to be used for FSX, I don't see any reason to splurge on anything bigger than an i5-3570K at this time.  Haswell might change that, but until that product is released everything is speculation based on early test runs.

Well Haswell is released. One thing I noticed was that the first interesting mobo for haswell that I found supports memory speeds much higher than 1600 MHz. Could this not be important for FSX (P3D Xplane) ?

My only advice is to get a decent watercooler like the Corsair H100 or H60

Why water cooler and not for example a Noctua DH14 which from what I understand cool better then water coolers ?

Best Bang for bucks Haswell 4670k

I have started to wonder if it's not Haswell I7 4770K. Read a test where it performed clearly over 4670K and also it over clocked better

get i5 3570k the new series is not much better than than the old maybe 5% improvement.  Its diminishing returns on cpu at this point.  Only worth buying new cpu if the improvement is like 15% to 20% then it deserves a second look. 

get i5 3570k the new series is not much better than than the old maybe 5% improvement.

But why not take that 5% ?

I agreed 5% is not worth it. If you take in consideration having to buy a new mobo and cpu for that minimal return around 1 FPS more....

I agreed 5% is not worth it. If you take in consideration having to buy a new mobo and cpu for that minimal return around 1 FPS more....

For me it's not a question of upgrading from Ivo Bridge but from AMD Phenom II X4

In that case from AMD I will go sandy if you can find it if not Ivy.

Also if budget is not and issue wait for Ivybridge -E

In that case from AMD I will go sandy if you can find it if not Ivy.

Also if budget is not and issue wait for Ivybridge -E

I suppose this I5 2550K is sandy,

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010620621/intel-core-i5-2550k-3-40ghz-6mb-s-1155/

the Ivo Bridge I first had in mind was

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010622176/intel-core-i5-3570k-3-4ghz-6mb-s-1155-ivy/

and the corresponding haswell would be I5 4670K this one

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010742245/intel-core-i5-4670k-3-4ghz-6mb-s-1150/

As you can see they cost about the same therefore I see no reason not to pick the latest haswell

since it's slightly faster at the same clock.

What is Ivo Bridge E and why should it be better than haswell ? When will it come and what will it cost.

It's hardly the case that budget won't matter.

I suppose this I5 2550K is sandy,

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010620621/intel-core-i5-2550k-3-40ghz-6mb-s-1155/

the Ivo Bridge I first had in mind was

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010622176/intel-core-i5-3570k-3-4ghz-6mb-s-1155-ivy/

and the corresponding haswell would be I5 4670K this one

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010742245/intel-core-i5-4670k-3-4ghz-6mb-s-1150/

As you can see they cost about the same therefore I see no reason not to pick the latest haswell

since it's slightly faster at the same clock.

What is Ivo Bridge E and why should it be better than haswell ? When will it come and what will it cost.

It's hardly the case that budget won't matter.

If the prices are around the same, go Haswell. Deffinitly do not go sandy bridge, since it is two generations behind, and is slower at the same clock speed as any of the other chips. Ivy Bridge E is the new upcoming versions of the extreme processors, that will hopefully overclock higher that regular Ivy or Haswell. The thing is though, you will pay for that better overclocking.