Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Is I5 3570K still best bang for money for FSX ?

Deffinitly do not go sandy bridge, since it is two generations behind

You say that, but the flip side is a cheaper CPU with good overclocking potential AFAIK.

spacer.png

You say that, but the flip side is a cheaper CPU with good overclocking potential AFAIK.

But on the site that the OP is looking at, they are the same price. Ivy also can use PCIE 3.0 instead of 2.0, meaning better graphics in other games.

i5 3570k price dropped on newegg

But why not take that 5% ?

These figured into my purchasing decision and that's why the 3570k shows up tomorrow from Newegg.

The Haswell chip would have been another $100 and for the slightly better performance (?), it wasn't worth considering. I've always seemed to purchase "just off the peak", as my C2D 6700 and not a 6800 testifies. Same for my i7 930 vs others in that cycle of chips.

While I wasn't too worried about going overboard with the credit card, I was able to take the money saved on the Ivy chip and pick up a 770 video card. The one treat I allowed myself was going to a 27" monitor at higher resolution, so I don't figure the 770 overkill for a single monitor at 2560 by 1440.

Now to ponder popping the top on the 3570k or not. The system is meant to be used for playing FSX, but in reality will spend more time doing developmental work. So I need stable, more than FPS. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

The 2500K is sandy yes, the ivy bridge- E might surpass sandy (regular non E) IPC (per clock performance) and hopefully have the solder interface.

The Haswell chip would have been another $100 and for the slightly better performance (?), it wasn't worth considering

The price on I5 3570K hasn't dropped where I live. I made a phone call to the reseller from which my links are and asked what could happen with prices in say about two months or so. The answer was not much but expect prices to stay where they are now. Do you also believe that ?

That not right, they are exploiting Ivy. My honest suggestion will be if you can wait, see what happen with Ivybridge-E or buy the sandy cpu. I bought mine 2 yrs ago, very satisficed and still going strong.

The Haswell chip would have been another $100 and for the slightly better performance (?), it wasn't worth considering. I've always seemed to purchase "just off the peak", as my C2D 6700 and not a 6800 testifies. Same for my i7 930 vs others in that cycle of chips.

The price on I5 3570K hasn't dropped where I live. I made a phone call to the reseller from which my links are and asked what could happen with prices in say about two months or so. The answer was not much but expect prices to stay where they are now. Do you also believe that ?

I need to quote myself to put the comments into perspective. My price differential was incorrect. The Haswell 4670k chip is $30 more versus the Ivy Bridge 3570k at Newegg. They have lowered the Ivy chip slightly, whereas Micro Center has lowered the 3570k a whole lot more. None anywhere close to me, as it's an in-store price, so I went with Newegg.

That not right, they are exploiting Ivy. My honest suggestion will be if you can wait, see what happen with Ivybridge-E or buy the sandy cpu. I bought mine 2 yrs ago, very satisficed and still going strong.

How long would I have to wait for Ivo Bridge E ? And is it not expected to be significantly more expensive then the common Ivo Bridge ? I find it hard to see that I would be more satisfied with an older CPU if the price is about the same as a newer one.

Should be around September to October of this year, if it doesn't change. Yes it will a hair more not much. Take a look at the current Sandybridge-E prices (3820 model), it will give you a good idea of the prices. The decision is your the test has shown that Haswell run really hot even hotter that reg. Ivy. Is haswell clock for clock faster than Ivy , yes minimal 5%-10%. Ivy overclock a little higher can compensate for that again remember Ivy also run hot, but not as hot a Haswell. Can you overclock higher if you deliding , yes but say bye bye to your warranty (both with Ivy and Haswell). Also keep in mind cooling is a must , I mean great cooling, specially with Haswell  (not close loop may I add, I mean custom water cooling). Does Z87 offer more features, yes it does but again minimal, like native 6 sata 6 gb/sec ports (up by 4) and 6 USB 3 (up by 2). Two option you have here go Haswell and sacrifice overclocking, wait for Ivybridge-E and see what happen, or pick the lesser of the two evils (reg. Ivy vs haswell).

P.S. Google for Haswell heat problems and you can see for yourself. any how witch you the best of luck. 

Should be around September to October of this year, if it doesn't change. Yes it will a hair more not much. Take a look at the current Sandybridge-E prices (3820 model), it will give you a good idea of the prices. The decision is your the test has shown that Haswell run really hot even hotter that reg. Ivy. Is haswell clock for clock faster than Ivy , yes minimal 5%-10%. Ivy overclock a little higher can compensate for that again remember Ivy also run hot, but not as hot a Haswell. Can you overclock higher if you deliding , yes but say bye bye to your warranty (both with Ivy and Haswell). Also keep in mind cooling is a must , I mean great cooling, specially with Haswell  (not close loop may I add, I mean custom water cooling). Does Z87 offer more features, yes it does but again minimal, like native 6 sata 6 gb/sec ports (up by 4) and 6 USB 3 (up by 2). Two option you have here go Haswell and sacrifice overclocking, wait for Ivybridge-E and see what happen, or pick the lesser of the two evils (reg. Ivy vs haswell).

P.S. Google for Haswell heat problems and you can see for yourself. any how witch you the best of luck. 

I found they sell 3820

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010619770/intel-core-i7-3820-3-6ghz-10mb-s-2011/

It cost 2540 SEK. Which ordinary Sandybridge should it be compared to ?

I see that

Sandy Bridge IvoBridge and Haswell cost about the same. Shouldn't older CPU be cheaper.

Also when I read the customer reviews I see that they overclock them all around 4.5 GHz well

slightly more for Sandy Bridge.

Regarding Haswell one review I read made the impression that the 4770K model overclock with less problem than the 4670K. So if I pick Haswell I think I will get the 4770K.

Glad that I'm able to help. the whole purpose is to give you the facts and that way you can pick what better suits your need. Yes old CPU should cost less but supply and the demand keeps some times the prices higher(same), or some times depending the vendor trying to milk the prices. Can I ask are you going to use your computer for something else beside FSX ?

Can I ask are you going to use your computer for something else beside FSX ?

I do play other games also and I have DCS World which struggles somewhat on my system. And I might try out P3D and also Xplane when it catches up with FSX. But in the short term it's for FSX and DCS  and in September Rome Total War II. Problem is things tends to get very expensive and I can't opt for the most expensive component in all cases.

In that case since your not rendering videos or any thing like that I will go with haswell. Here is why this only my opinion and observation:

1. haswell is new but gain are only minimal (about 5%-10%)

2. haswell is having some major heat and overclocking issues

3. haswell does on the other hand bring new instructions like AVX2, but no application is taking advantage of that right now.

4. haswell could be good if heat issue is resolve, again we have to wait and see if intel fix it with the new revision (Steps).

5. Intel is mostly targeting mobile segment with this chip, so IMO I don't see them fixing it any time soon for example look at ivy

it still does have heat issues but at least a little less than haswell.

6. The chipset is potentially dead on arrival, because the next chipset broadwell it will be solder to the motherboard (forcing people to 

buy new motherboards). The reason I said potentially is because they push broadwell release back (I think 2015) and instead they

could do a haswell refresh next year (2014).

And I can go on and on.....

P.S. If I was you I will go IVY now or wait to see if they fix some how a little bit of the heat issue with Haswell (again bug if). Finally ultimately is your rig and your decision, again I witch you best of luck!!!!  

Here another pice of info to let you know the trend and stand that intel is taking lately:

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-Prevents-Overclocking-non-K-Haswell-Processors-and-Strips-Virtualization-and-T#comments

P.S. Don't take my word for all of this and see for yourself , go to the link above. this guy and other's are saying the same thing about haswell and intel. This guys has been reviewing hardware since late '90

Again good luck!!!!!!