I was a an exceptional painter in FS2002 and FS2004. I did quite a few repaints of various aircrafts, but I am having a time at my first attempt at repainting in FSX. When I convert and load the DDS texture into DXTBmp, I export the Alpha Channel to my editor for editing. After editing I reload or import it back into the bitmap. Then I save it back into its original DDS DXT5 format and then open FSX. When I do, the entire bitmap is transparent. I am sure it has something to do with the Alpha Channel, being that these channels or layers are levels of transparency. Any help would be appreciated by you experienced FSX Painters.

Thank You,

Stephen

The Alpha channel controls either transparency or reflection depending on the material.

Looking at your screenshot I would assume the Alpha would be controlling reflection for that part of the fuselage, not transparency.

Either way, what does the Alpha look like if you reload your edited DXT5 back into DXTBmp?

What model is the B737?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. And yes, my intention in edited the Alpha Channel is to increase reflectivity. I have attached both the "unedited" and "edited" Alpha Channels for for your viewing as requested.

Regards,

Stephen

Uploaded files removed by Leen de Jager 

Please read rules about uploaded files.

These were much to large.

Again, what model is that?

Your Alpha looks like one for a lightmap (texture with name ending in *_lm.ext) not one for a diffuse texture.

What is the filename of the texture in question?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. This is not a "light" bitmap. It is the main texture file for the PMDG 737NGX. File name "pmdg_737NGX_fuselage_1." The "light" map is "pmdg_737NGX_fuselage_1_night2." Once again, I have been painting for years and very aware of the difference in the maps. I have added reflective textures, even chrome to leading edges of wiings and engine cowls. Once again, my problem is that the final bitmap texture is ending up totally transparent. I have even tried exporting the bitmap as a "Targa file w/Alpha", and then converting it back to a DDS and still no luck. I hope this helps in better clarifying my problem. I look forward to your reply.

Saludos,

Stephen

Hello Joe,

I figured it out. I have to open the file I want to edit with DXTBmp Bitmap Editor, export the Alpha to my editor (Painshop Pro),  and from there save the Alpha as a *.bmp after editing. Then I have to import the edited Alpha and then apply to texture using DXTBmp. Once I have done that, I then save the texture map as a 32-bit Extended Bitmap. Then open the new 32-bit texture bitmap with DDS Converter2 and then convert it to a DDS DXT5 bitmap and then overwrite the existing texture in my aircraft texture folder. Thanks for your attempts at resolving my problem..

Regards,

Stephen

Since you have Photoshop, why don't you simply download and install the free nVidia plugin for Photoshop?

This will allow you to open DDS files directly in Photoshop, make your edits, then SaveAs .dds files directly.

See: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Actually, I stated I use PaintSho Pro as my editor, not Photoshop. But I just installed PhotoShop 6. Now I will learn to use it and see how it goes. I am downloading the NVidia plug-in now. I thought I had resolved my problem, but I had mistaken. 

Thanks,

Stephen

Oh, my misreading then. In any case the nVidia plugin is available for PaintShop Pro as well, but I've never used PSP so cannot comment on how well it works... ^_^

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Stephen!!!
Please  read rules about uploading files and images.

Yours, posted in a previous post I had to remove due their oversize !!!

http://forum.avsim.net/page/AVSIM%20Pages/screen_shot_rules.html

Thanks in advance.

Leen

PS

The problem itself:

Is it possible the file does not load at all?
In other words , it might be possible we are looking at "nothing" instead of transparancy.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Old topic i know, but did you flip the alpha channel when you flipped the texture in DXTBmp? Sometimes it does matter if you don't want reflection in some areas ie Wheels/Tires

I use The Gimp. simply flatten layes. add mask, select Alpha channel, than flip, export to BC3 DXT5. Its so quicknow.