Sign in to follow this  
ant_1984

Quick Opinion on Ivy vs Haswell Build

Just looking for a quick opinion on what you would do.

I need to build a second PC. Either setup would be running 2400Mhz RAM and a GTX 680, and be cooled by a H110 in a carbide 500R.

I can get a used 3770K and Sabertooth Z77 for total $470AUD. But this deal may no longer be available after today.

Alternatively I can get a 4770K for $389 + Sabertooth Z87/Gigabyte UD5H for $319 or Asrock Extreme 6 Z87 for $237 = Total $626-708AUD.

I have 3 SSD's that will be hooked up so I like Sata 6GB's connections.

Which way would you go?

The latter. I would not wish to buy a used CPU, for a number of reasons including that if it is faulty you are stuck with an older platform, instead of the newer.

Kind regards,

Thanks Stephen. That was something on my mind too.

What if I threw another spanner into the works. Ivy Bridge build based on new parts?

I'm a little worried going Ivy as it will become a dead socket. But on the other hand Ram speed may be compromised when overclocking on Haswell.

First world problems huh!

There's early days with Haswell yet and there might be teething problems discovered still. IvyBridge is not a bad option, especially if you can find a bargain. Socket 1150 is kind dead as well even thou it just launched. Brodwell is not going to be available to drop in to it, so if you get a 4770K now, that's it. Kind of like s1156 (Lynnfield)

Well price wise if I'm buying new between ivy and haswell will be a difference of maybe $150-200 AUD.

I wouldn't have any intention of delidding.

I know it's early days for Haswell ofcourse but I'd like to order parts soon if I can to get this build done. As far as the socket, I see advantages as far as having all native Sata 6Gb as opposed to z77 1155 only having 2 native ports. I don't know whether broadwell will be bga only. From what I've read some CPUs will be but not all.

To be honest I probably don't NEED to buy now and could keep my current pc and just make my wife wait since she will get my sandybridge pc, lol, but I already have the case/cooler/psu and would like pcie3.0 in prep for a future GPU upgrade.

Following this next purchase though I'm going to restrict any full system upgrade to roughly every 2 1/2 years.

Thanks Stephen. That was something on my mind too.

What if I threw another spanner into the works. Ivy Bridge build based on new parts?

Anthony,

Saab 340 just raised a good point, that the 1150 socket set is dead too, as Brodwell won't fit. Is there not any suggestion that Intel may come out with a performance version of Haswell?

How about this:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20130422193800_Intel_Cans_Rockwell_Processors_for_Desktops_Spy_Shot_From_Intel_s_Roadmap.html

It indicates there will likely be an E version of Haswell sooner than later, followed by Skylake ontrack for 2015. 

I don't know Anthony, I might go for the new kid in town. I have always been sorry the one time I didn't.

Kind regards,

I know that there will be Ivy Bridge-E and Haswell-E but Those performance E versions of processors are not really on my radar at the moment since I don't think any minimal (if any) performance gains for my usage are worth the price premium.

Maybe somewhere down the track but I'm not sure I'd have a need for the extra cores unless more and more applications are programmed to make use of them I can't see myself going that way just yet.

Your sentiments hit the nail on the head for me though. I think if I didn't go for Haswell I probably would regret it down the track, so my mind is made up on that but I will be reading up on further reviews etc as more users adopt.

I had read those articles about Intels roadmap.

So for me I see my upgrade cycle like this:

Haswell build 2013 -> Nvidia Maxwell GPU Upgrade 2014 -> Skylake Build 2015 (possibly)

Interested to see any FSX users experience with their new Haswell systems!!

that the 1150 socket set is dead too, as Brodwell won't fit

Broadwell is that the generation coming after haswell like Ivo bridge came after sandy bridge ?

Broadwell is that the generation coming after haswell like Ivo bridge came after sandy bridge ?

Yes sir,

It is part of the tick-tock plan forward that Intel (at least up to this point) has +or- followed.

Kind regards,

Yes but the trajectory seems to be the same:  more SoS, onboard graphics etc, lower power draw, etc, which are parameters that don't exactly match those of high performance desktops.  My next build will involve 8-core i7-3890X or IB-E in whatever core variant seems attractive.  I'm hoping it will run FS good enough and give me some lateral headroom as it were--i.e., better utilization of multicore for apps that are designed to exploit it.  XPlane does to some degree.  Plus, better texture loading in multicore machines can benefit FSX and perhaps offset the impairment FSX suffers from in multicore machines.  I'm hoping I see decent improvement over my Q9650 w/ 280GTX & 4GB of ram ;o).  I hope to be well positioned for a better flight sim in the coming years, be it XPlane v 11 or P3D, rather than build the best box for FSX alone.

Plus, changes in each recent iteration of CPUs just doesn't offer all that much really.  I'm sure a 3890X will compete reasonably well to 4 core Haswell--yes, some perf measures will demonstrate the 12-15% improvements from the microarchitecture, but overclocking will be less core for core and this will like offset those improvements.   My only concern about buying 2y/o parts is that it gets tougher to find replacements.  I think the X79 boards will be able to run IB-E though?

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I know that there will be Ivy Bridge-E and Haswell-E but Those performance E versions of processors are not really on my radar at the moment since I don't think any minimal (if any) performance gains for my usage are worth the price premium.

Maybe somewhere down the track but I'm not sure I'd have a need for the extra cores unless more and more applications are programmed to make use of them I can't see myself going that way just yet.

Your sentiments hit the nail on the head for me though. I think if I didn't go for Haswell I probably would regret it down the track, so my mind is made up on that but I will be reading up on further reviews etc as more users adopt.

I had read those articles about Intels roadmap.

So for me I see my upgrade cycle like this:

Haswell build 2013 -> Nvidia Maxwell GPU Upgrade 2014 -> Skylake Build 2015 (possibly)

Interested to see any FSX users experience with their new Haswell systems!!

Haswell build 2013......+1

HLJAMES