Sign in to follow this  
PGspy18

Call-outs not heard

I bought the J12 today, and when i installed it, i started going through the flight tutorial. When it came time to de-activate the start locks after engine startup, the pdf said there would be a callout saying 'Startlocks removed' but i didnt hear one. I thought i was doing something wrong, so i looked at the pinned engine start tutorial, but alas i did not hear the callout. Then i flipped through the pdf and found that there was supposed to be a condition levers flight callout, so i put the condition levers to flight, and heard nothing. all my sound settings are good, and i even turned down the engine volume, but no callout was heard. Whats going on?

The PMDG J41 is so close to real it isn't funny. You should look on you tube for a start up video. If you miss one step she will not start and you will have a BBQ on your wings. Procedure here is a must. No short cuts, no autos. Just follow the steps and after a while it will come natural to you. Had it not been for me being Qualed in the real world on this little beast I would have been clueless. Good starting point for you would be here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYlvblm7L2A. The learning curve here is steep. Remember to be patient. IF you miss one step she has to cool her heel before you can make another attempt at a start. So be vigilant and step by step follow along. It will be worth it in the end. This little plane is easy to fly and is generally forgiving until you break a rule and she bites and bites hard. If your start locks aren't removed you will never reach take off speed and C and B on the reds. Good luck. You Tube will be your best friend just beware of any short cuts. There are none when it comes to the J41. Happy flying and good luck Cpt out.

I watched the video, i did not know about the ground start area on the power levers. I'll try that. thanks for the vid

Yeah, starting the engines with the power levers in the hashed zone did disengage the start locks (i think, i was able to take off), but i still dont hear any callouts.

Yeah, starting the engines with the power levers in the hashed zone did disengage the start locks (i think, i was able to take off), but i still dont hear any callouts.

I can highly recommend submitting a PMDG support ticket. They will usually help you within a short period of time.

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/Main/Default.aspx

Starting the engines in the hashed zone has nothing to do with removing the start locks.  That's just where the levers should be during the start process.

After the engines are started, the levers need to be brought back beyond ground idle (the hashed area), into reverse, and then back to idle.  Only after this is done will you hear "start locks removed."

To ensure you hear "condition levers flight," and "condition levers taxi," you may want to use CTRL+F1 and CTRL+F4 to ensure the levers are hitting the right positions.

Once you've eliminated your procedure as the cause, it's then a matter of a couple things:

1 - If you purchased (and installed) FS2Crew with your JS4100, it overwrites the PMDG callouts with its own, and they will only be heard when using FS2Crew.

2 - If you didn't run the installation program as an administrator, it can cause issues.

Additionally, just so you know, it's required to sign your name to your posts, as written here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/245586-you-must-sign-your-full-real-name-to-posts-to-use-this-forum-posts-without-names-will-be-deleted/

Kyle Rodgers

First of all, thanks for the heads-up with the signature thing. fixed that. I DID get the fs2crew, but i havnt been using it (wanted to master the 41 on its own first), and it replaces the callouts? i tried with fs2crew once, but nothing happened when i asked about the briefs. in the cfg window, where you choose a headphone thing, i cant set one, i have a headphone plugged in, but neither right nor left clicking works. I might un-install it, would that fix the callouts? or more helpful: how do i fix fs2crew so i can hear callouts?

First of all, thanks for the heads-up with the signature thing. fixed that.

Welcome.

I DID get the fs2crew, but i havnt been using it (wanted to master the 41 on its own first), and it replaces the callouts? i tried with fs2crew once, but nothing happened when i asked about the briefs.

FS2Crew has its own tutorial that you should run.  When you ask if the FO is ready for the briefs, all you should hear is "I'm ready."  At that point, you'd speak through a mock brief (with the mute button on), if desired and finish with "any questions?"  That last question is what it picks up on to continue on to other checklists.

in the cfg window, where you choose a headphone thing, i cant set one, i have a headphone plugged in, but neither right nor left clicking works.

Your comp must not be recognizing your headset, or you're not running FSX as an admin.

I might un-install it, would that fix the callouts? or more helpful: how do i fix fs2crew so i can hear callouts?

You will definitely not regret leaving it installed once you get the hang of it.  It really adds a lot to the experience.

I hate to sound unhelpful, but in order to FS2Crew to do its thing, you have to work like it's expecting you to work.  Once you do that, you should hear everything just fine.  Definitely have a look at FS2Crew's tutorial.  It'll have you on your way in no time.

Kyle Rodgers

I took ownership of the fsx folder because running it as administrator crashes the game.

As for FS2Crew, everytime i open one of the panels (for the first time that session) i get this: Audio Create XACT Failure. Please contact FS2CREW. Error Code 0x80040154. Once i click OK the main window pops up and i get the voice recognition active message.

EDIT: it also dosn't recognise that i have media player installed

I did contact FS2crew and they are recommending i re-install windows. i am NOT doing that. i will just uninstall it until i can figure out a solution.

i am NOT doing that.

Have you checked to ensure you have the proper drivers installed, and the audio set up properly (via the Windows Control panel)?

Kyle Rodgers

Audio Settings

Surround sound >off

Stereo only.

If you only have 2 speakers, and you have the computer using surround sound (5 speakers) it is possible that the callouts are going to one of the non-existant speakers. Just a thought.

If you go to external view and spin around the aircraft, is there any points when the engine gets really quiet? if so - same issue.

99% of the cases of missing sound in the J41 and NGX are due to missing DirectX runtime libraries - download and install this and I'll bet it fixes it:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

(you have to first extract it to a folder (I'd use something like "dxtemp" on your Desktop - then run the setup.exe file inside)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Im just going to uninstall fs2crew, and when i get around to it, test out the j4100