Sign in to follow this  
dmbusmc

Earth Simulations Guernsey issue, and FTX PNW/Guernsey compatibility question.

Hey gents,

Have a few questions on something that has me a little stumped. I purchased Guernsey from Earth Simulations a few months ago, and tried installing it twice. Each time I saw no autogen on the island and noticed autogen in the default FSX UK (for instance around EGKK) was missing/corrupt. I did of course ensure that FTX Central was set to default each time before install. I'm also aware of this Help Desk entry here, which steps did not work: https://earthsims.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/61717-there-is-no-3d-autogen-showing-up-on-my-scenery

I notice there are installation options when you install Guernsey, and one that I am curious about in particular is the "Advanced 3D EU" option. The description states "Adds Airports, 3D Landmarks and Autogen." My question regarding this, is if I uncheck this, will this eliminate all of the custom autogen and buildings on the island of Guernsey, or is this some sort of addition that adds elements outside of the island? If so, I'm curious if that might be what is causing my issue.

On to the next part of my question, through researching their forums I noticed a few have brought up something similar as well, and in regards to FTX compatibility. Can the two actually co-exist? And, should I use their MergES program when installing Guernsey?

Any help, advice, or knocks on the head for missing something obvious are welcome. I'm a little hesitant to mess around and just experiment, the first install try on this required an FSX uninstall and reinstall, which is a time consumer I'd like to try and avoid. I do not want to cry wolf just yet to their support messaging system, to see if any other users out there might have the solution. Thanks!

I bought the same product from ESI three months ago.  I have FTX England and Wales.  Even with FTX Central set to "Default", at  Guernsey all I got was FSX default scenery/autogen. I wasn't actually sure if the ESI program even installed. I uninstalled and resintalled a number of times. Still no  joy. I contacted ESI, who responded after a few days.  (They said they had been very busy.)  I sent them information on my problem; they were not able to fix it and offered a refund, which I accepted.

I have come to the conclusion that ESI products and FTX EU are in fact incompatible. ESI also offers a freeware untility that they claim fixes the incompatibility issue, but I am not convinced and didn't wish to risk it.

I am just hoping that ORBX's upcoming FTX Global improves on the Chanel Islands, and that eventually ORBX releases regional versions for the Islands.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

I installed it and had the same problem. My email enquiry to them went unanswered. Guernsey looks amazing in the screenshots but I HATE their installer software and I'm annoyed that I can't get it to work. No more money will be coming from me to ES.

On to the next part of my question, through researching their forums I noticed a few have brought up something similar as well, and in regards to FTX compatibility. Can the two actually co-exist?

Im using ES sceneries with FTX EU enabled and have no issues with autogen. Orbx merged the autogen with their EU scenery so they should be compitable. But I had to use a file given by Orbx to make this work, I found the fix at the Orbx compitabilty forum...

I am just hoping that ORBX's upcoming FTX Global improves on the Chanel Islands, and that eventually ORBX releases regional versions for the Islands.

Orbx have said they would not "reinvent the wheel" on those scenerys  so I wouldn't expect to much.

Here is a link to one of the fixes I had to use, combined with the "file" from Orbx they now coexist without any issues

https://earthsims.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/61717-there-is-no-3d-autogen-showing-up-on-my-scenery

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. Only catch, I only have FTX PNW installed, and not EU. But, relatively the same deal as they both go in and edit default FSX files. Looks bleak on contacting support, seems 1 for 3 so far. Any of you gents know about that "Advanced 3D EU" option?

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. Only catch, I only have FTX PNW installed

You can't have FTX PNW enabled when using this scenery, it will make the autogen dissapear, you'll have to use default setting in FTX Central. It's only merged with FTX EU...

That's just the way it is with these region solutions from Orbx. But atleast you can use it with FTX EU wich is better than nothing and when flying in europe you would have to disable FTX NA anyway..

Don't know much about the Advanced 3d option I just installed it without changing anything and it works with the fixes I mentioned above.

One more thing about FTX EU and ES, You'll have to put ES scenerys above FTX entries in the scenery Library to make them work With FTX EU. This can be done from FTX Central in the "Library insertion point" settings.

ES sceneries can be a pain in the &@($* to get working properly, but when everything falls into place it's worth it.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone.

I don't intend to re-purchase the ESI software and try again to reinstall it, even with the fix that Kaboki mentions..  I agree with Benneyboy75: their installer wrapper is about the most opaque I have ever seen.  I will just see what the Channel islands look like in FTX Global.  Otherwise I will just fly somewhere else. 

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Benneyboy75: their installer wrapper is about the most opaque I have ever seen.

I can't see why the ESI installer program is any problem, I think it's very easy to use and had no problems with it. The real problems I think with these sceneries lays with the custom autogen that's where things becomes inconvinient....

You can't have FTX PNW enabled when using this scenery, it will make the autogen dissapear, you'll have to use default setting in FTX Central. It's only merged with FTX EU...

That's just the way it is with these region solutions from Orbx. But atleast you can use it with FTX EU wich is better than nothing and when flying in europe you would have to disable FTX NA anyway..

Don't know much about the Advanced 3d option I just installed it without changing anything and it works with the fixes I mentioned above.

One more thing about FTX EU and ES, You'll have to put ES scenerys above FTX entries in the scenery Library to make them work With FTX EU. This can be done from FTX Central in the "Library insertion point" settings.

ES sceneries can be a pain in the &@($* to get working properly, but when everything falls into place it's worth it.

Indeed, from the start I was sure FTX Central was set to default, and I also have it's insertion point fixed in the Scenery Library down right above the default FSX files. "but when everything falls into place it's worth it."- that's exactly what I'm going for, it truly looks amazing.

I'm trying an install now and made a custom backup of my autogen default.xml, RoofDescriptions.spb, and Autogen Descriptions.spb. We'll see how it goes. Next steps I'll take are installing those hotfix files, if that doesn't work, I'll try unchecking that mysterious Advanced 3D EU option to see if that makes a difference. It'll be a kick in the pants though if that just means custom autogen and buildings on the island though, since I'm not getting that anyways ^_^ .

Good luck, you'll need it :lol: If you have France VFR I would give up on this right away. I found it impossible to get ES work with France VFR....

Too much hassle for just a few small Islands. I ditched ES offerings with the exception of UK Trees. Isle of Man is due out soon...wont be bothering.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Good luck, you'll need it :lol: If you have France VFR I would give up on this right away. I found it impossible to get ES work with France VFR....

Luckily I don't, but good to know if I ever get Guernsey working! :wink:

Too much hassle for just a few small Islands. I ditched ES offerings with the exception of UK Trees. Isle of Man is due out soon...wont be bothering.

Indeed, it is a bit, but want to be able to use what I purchased. Here's hoping..

I installed it and had the same problem. My email enquiry to them went unanswered. Guernsey looks amazing in the screenshots but I HATE their installer software and I'm annoyed that I can't get it to work. No more money will be coming from me to ES.

I had to re-install FSX after trying to install ES, never again, never and an e-mail was a waste of time.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I had to re-install FSX after trying to install ES,

That sounds a bit drastic, couldn't you just uninstall ES and reinstall whatever other scenery ES messed up?

To me these small fixes that ES provides wasn't to much hazzle(used about 10 minutes and evrything was fixed)...

But what really was a hassle for me was trying to get it coexist with France VFR. I actually spent 7 days messing with it before i finnaly gave up

I have been given permission to provide a little update here about Earth Simulations....

Darren (the owner of ES) has been suffering from health issues over the past year, and this is why everything appears to have gone quiet on the forum, and also with respect to support issues. However, I can now report that he is well on the way to recovery, and that Earth Simulations is ready to resume "normal service". I can also tell you that the ES store (and the way that products are purchased and downloaded) is being completely revised. This will hopefully encourage everyone to take another look at the ES products.

I have purchased quite a few products from Earth Simulations, and I can honestly say that they are some of the very best scenery addons available for FSX. The quality and attention to detail is astounding, and I have every confidence that future products will be even better!

I do not work for Earth Simulations. I am simply a regular customer who cares about them. Prior to Darren's health issues, the forum was one of the warmest places to visit in the FS world. In addition, Darren provided me with help and support in FSX "over and above the call of duty", and I am extremely grateful to him for that.

I have to be honest here and say that I was getting rather frustrated with the lack of communication over the past year, but my recent contact with Darren and Vicki has revealed the difficulties that they have faced during that time, and it has renewed my confidence in them. I am now looking forward to their next releases with great anticipation and excitement!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png