Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

SweetFX

I've been seeing a lot mentioned of SweetFx, and I'm thinking of trying it out to add some enhanced HDR like effects to FSX.  I'm in the camp of users who gave up on the ENB Series mod because it causes CTDs, but I do have Shade.   But shade alone can't make up for the absence of ENB, and I was always hoping someone would find a cure for the crashes, this may be just the thing!

I've seen lots of threads, and I don't mean to sound like I'm lazy, but I really don't feel like reading that one thread that has 52,000 views and is 30 pages long.  I just need to know some basic things about the mod, and I feel like it's been out long enough that users can share their informed opinion on it.

1. Can it only be run in DX10?   I refuse to use DX10 because of it's graphical anomolies and compatibility problems with addons, although I am aware some progress has been made recently.

2. Is there a frame rate impact at all?   I have a pretty good I7 930 system, see my specs, but also run lots of complex payware sceneries and the NGX, so I need every drop of FPS I can get.

3. Is it reliable?  Do I have to make any adjustments to my fsx.cfg?

Thanks.

I have only been running it for a day, so my input may not be of much value to you, but I'll still give it a shot.

1. Yes, I run it on DX9 no problems at all.

2. There isn't ANY FPS impact at all for me, in fact, I think I may even get a frame or two more, but that might just be my nutso side.

3. None above Word Not Allowed's or Bojote's tweaks, that I know of anyway.

Aamir Thacker

Guest Mik75

I have only been running it for a day, so my input may not be of much value to you, but I'll still give it a shot.

1. Yes, I run it on DX9 no problems at all.

2. There isn't ANY FPS impact at all for me, in fact, I think I may even get a frame or two more, but that might just be my nutso side.

3. None above Word Not Allowed's or Bojote's tweaks, that I know of anyway.

I've been using it for 2 weeks with different settings in DX9. I loved the look of it, but my sim became quite unstable. Especially when switching from full screen to windowed mode, or when doing changes in the in game menu, FSX crashed to desktop without any error message quite often. So, I had to remove it again...

I loved the look of ENB but ended up with a "CTD to Flight ratio" of about 75% ........ not good!

Had high hopes for SweetFX after the raves, and it may well work for others, but for me (in DX9) I got a similar amount of CTDs that I got with ENB, so I am back to standard.

I use a ATI card which to be fair, could be a factor here.

Guest Mik75

I loved the look of ENB but ended up with a "CTD to Flight ratio" of about 75% ........ not good!

Had high hopes for SweetFX after the raves, and it may well work for others, but for me (in DX9) I got a similar amount of CTDs that I got with ENB, so I am back to standard.

I use a ATI card which to be fair, could be a factor here.

I have a GTX 670 and the CTDs were quite bad. When not touching the menus or doing anything outside FSX while in flight, it was pretty stable. But since I have a lot of things running outside FSX (Arcars, Opus, Pro ATC, etc), I have to jump between the apps from time to time...

Gave it a try in DX10. Had no issues/problems whatsoever with it. It just didn't really float my boat so I am a bit over it now.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Works slick with ATI through RadeonPro. You dump the SweetFX folder on your desktop or where ever you want instead of in the FSX directory and then just enable it in the tool. A key turns it on and off. They have a GUI interface in the SweetFX tab to play with the settings.

As for SweetFX post processing? I see it needs alot of tinkering and artistic flair. Not sure I like it's version of HDR.

SweetFX interface via the RadeonPro utility.

http://www.radeonpro.info/

C.

Never had a single CTD related to SweetFX and I'm on DX9, the only time I have had problems is when multiple monitors are used but that causes a lot of trouble anyway. FPS is very good, on a higher end system it can even be used in conjunction with ENB.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

No issues at all 560Ti 2 gig video ram, DX9.  

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I've been seeing a lot mentioned of SweetFx, and I'm thinking of trying it out to add some enhanced HDR like effects to FSX.  I'm in the camp of users who gave up on the ENB Series mod because it causes CTDs, but I do have Shade.   But shade alone can't make up for the absence of ENB, and I was always hoping someone would find a cure for the crashes, this may be just the thing!

I've seen lots of threads, and I don't mean to sound like I'm lazy, but I really don't feel like reading that one thread that has 52,000 views and is 30 pages long.  I just need to know some basic things about the mod, and I feel like it's been out long enough that users can share their informed opinion on it.

1. Can it only be run in DX10?   I refuse to use DX10 because of it's graphical anomolies and compatibility problems with addons, although I am aware some progress has been made recently.

2. Is there a frame rate impact at all?   I have a pretty good I7 930 system, see my specs, but also run lots of complex payware sceneries and the NGX, so I need every drop of FPS I can get.

3. Is it reliable?  Do I have to make any adjustments to my fsx.cfg?

Thanks.

You should look into dx10 most of the graphical anomalies are fixed now by using new shaders here's a link to avsim's how to

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/387343-the-how-to-doc/

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I've posted a few times on this subject and my results are on par with others who love it and don't have any problems. There is zero impact on frame rates and I will not fly FSX without it.

Search my username with sweetfx and you should find a post with the settings I use.

For those who get crashes using SweetFX, check the SweetFX log file.

You should look into dx10 most of the graphical anomalies are fixed now by using new shaders here's a link to avsim's how to

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/387343-the-how-to-doc/

I'm going to read though the docs, but I have an enormous amount of addons and I'm concerned about compatibility issues.  The idea that DX10 is horrible in FSX has been so ingrained in my mind that I find it hard to believe, but I will probably try it out just to see.

Lots of good payware airports don't work with dx10

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

I used the Avsim guide and a number of tools/fixes (Steve's, others) to enable DX10 in FSX. The jump in frame-rate alone, and the fact that in DX10 video memory is not re-mapped onto system memory as it is in DX9 makes it worth it, to say nothing of the total disappearance of OOM errors and crashes, and being able to use addon graphic tools like SweetFX with no trouble at all.

It can take a bit of time, patience, and tweaking with the various DX10 fixes, and changes in ur FSX.CFG and video card settings, but in my view it is all more then worth it, in DX10 I feel I have a more stable, fluid, and beautiful simulator.

For anyone interested. here's my latest SweetFX files and settings (Using NV drivers 320.49)

http://virtual-aviation.org/main/images/jonp/avsim/fsx_settings/vaejonp-Latest_SweetFX-1.4-%5BGuru3D.com%5D.zip

For this version, SMAA is disabled, HDR and some other stuff was tweaked. After some recent testing (my eyes aren't what they used to be) SweetFX's SMAA made the edges worse when coupled with my NV Inspector settings.

Let me know what you think if you use this. Here's a shot with all FSX graphics sliders maxed except Autogen is at "Very Dense" and ground scenery shadows enabled..

2013-7-4_13-21-11-204.jpg