Sign in to follow this  
steve310002

Dash 8 Q400 Engine Sounds

As part of the Aerosoft sale I bought the Dash 8 Q400 by FlyJSim. It's a great looking aircraft and flys great too. However, the one thing I was disappointed in was the engine sounds. They just don't sound realistic for a turboprop. There is also not enough depth to the sound.

Does anyone know of any replacement sounds for the Dash?

Otherwise it's a very good purchase.

I'm tempted to buy it :-)

Just tell me something Steve. On takeoff, high power climbs, do you have pronounced roll (left wing deeping...) ?  How do you compensate (aileron or rudder trim) ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Although I do not have the X-Plane version, I do have the Majestic Q400 for FSX...

Those PW150s have a lot of torque and turn in the same direction, so you do have pronounced roll. You need to use rudder trim to compensate, in the real aircraft, you even need to trim with the autopilot active, otherwise the plane flies one wing down and out of coordination a little.

The rudder trim button on the central console is the friend of coordinated climb and cruise in the Q400...

A

Just tell me something Steve. On takeoff, high power climbs, do you have pronounced roll (left wing deeping...) ? How do you compensate (aileron or rudder trim) ?

I will check this evening and let you know. I only had time for a quick play with it last night but it seems you do feel the torque effect like you'd expect. It certainly seems a handful to fly (which is always more fun!!).

I saw in other posts that you were also considering getting the Eurocopter AS350 B3. Man, that is one awesome heli. The physics are amazing. Taking off in it actually looks and feels like the real thing (in terms of physics). The engine sounds with the 'dream engine' plugin are outsanding. I'd recommend that too :lol:

Now if only I can find new sounds or a way of improving the Dash engine sounds.....

Thx Steve!  I'll try to search for alternate sounds for your Q-400 :-)

Seen this review?

The son of one of my colleagues is a Q-400 captain working for SATA. Of course I have checked with him a big deal of "test data", just as I did when he was operating the ATPs...

I look fowd for your answer, and I really like this airplane.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Just tell me something Steve. On takeoff, high power climbs, do you have pronounced roll (left wing deeping...) ? How do you compensate (aileron or rudder trim) ?

Okay, so I just tested this. Yes, there is a pronounced roll to the left which I manage to compensate for by adjusting the LWD aileron with also some slight adjustment to the rudder trim. I assume that this completely normal and a result of the torque effect.

I've not bought the flyjsim Q400, but I've seen this footage:

I fly the Wideroe Dash 8 Q400's from Aberdeen <--> Stavanger weekly, so I know how they sound.   The sound of the feathered props, the advance from feather --> beta, the take off roll, and landing are all distinctive sounds from a dash 8.   That said, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Saab 2000 and a Dash 8 if I was blindfolded.

I'm not convinced by the flyJsim sounds in that video.  The startup engine sound is the only "real" sound, and they botched that sound by recording the sound from the outside of the plane rather than the inside of the cockpit!  All the other sounds seem to be re-tuned default x-plane prop sounds.  It's a great disappointment, considering the 3D modelling looks top notch.

The bottom line........

Should there be torque effect or not? At another forum, the Jetstream was being discussed. Someone posted his thoughts, saying that an FSX version was more realistic in handling due to the X-Plane requirement of using aileron trim on the climb. The plane also required some roll trim before takeoff.

The ressponces were as if they wanted to stone him. It was asked..... "haven't you ever heard about torque?" Finally, someone said to get a real Jetstream pilot for answers. Turns out the guy that made the statements about the improper roll effect.....is a real Jetstream pilot.

My thoughts on the subject. I have not flown a real Q400 or Jetstream. But I expect to using rudder for yaw, and not be pumping in aileron trim for the climb. I have flown numerous real life torqued planes. Plenty of noticeable torque on the roll, but not in climb. It's just rudder at that point. I believe we have an XP problem that is manifested throughout various aircraft.

Any Dash 8 pilots out there?

Ps...... Talked to a B-17 pilot the over day. It's engines all turn the same way. It doesn't have to be actively trimmed for roll either.

Isn't the torque issue a known bug? Thought I read that somewhere.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

The bottom line........

Should there be torque effect or not? At another forum, the Jetstream was being discussed. Someone posted his thoughts, saying that an FSX version was more realistic in handling due to the X-Plane requirement of using aileron trim on the climb. The plane also required some roll trim before takeoff.

The ressponces were as if they wanted to stone him. It was asked..... "haven't you ever heard about torque?" Finally, someone said to get a real Jetstream pilot for answers. Turns out the guy that made the statements about the improper roll effect.....is a real Jetstream pilot.

My thoughts on the subject. I have not flown a real Q400 or Jetstream. But I expect to using rudder for yaw, and not be pumping in aileron trim for the climb. I have flown numerous real life torqued planes. Plenty of noticeable torque on the roll, but not in climb. It's just rudder at that point. I believe we have an XP problem that is manifested throughout various aircraft.

Any Dash 8 pilots out there?

Ps...... Talked to a B-17 pilot the over day. It's engines all turn the same way. It doesn't have to be actively trimmed for roll either.

Larry, a friend of mine is a Q400 captain at SATA - Air Azores. No aileron trim required unless engine failure, or other problems.... Only rudder trim, and only yaw effects.

This being said, we can fix it :-)

I continue to believe Austin did it that way to simplify things for those without rudder or using mouse to fly. After all the FDM is the same used in the App version, right? Was this the best option? I don't think so, but an iPad owner can think differently...

See my "ceci n'est pas un avion..." thread later today :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

I'm not convinced by the flyJsim sounds in that video. The startup engine sound is the only "real" sound, and they botched that sound by recording the sound from the outside of the plane rather than the inside of the cockpit! All the other sounds seem to be re-tuned default x-plane prop sounds. It's a great disappointment, considering the 3D modelling looks top notch.

I'm glad then that it's not my imagination. Definitely from all the X-plane 10 payware I've bought, the Dash has the poorest sounds by far. Like you said, it's a real shame because the modelling is for the most part very nice.

Sounds for me are a critical area when it comes to payware aircraft. I really hope they fix it as it is one the points they highlight on their sales page -

• Custom Sounds: Hear what the real Q400 sounds like. We have recorded real world Q400 sounds, including cockpit call-outs. The sounds alone add so much to the experience.

Their description is not accurate at all to be honest. That's particularly frustrating as I hear their 727 has amazing sounds.

That's particularly frustrating as I hear their 727 has amazing sounds.

That would be because Turbine Sound Studios made them... :wink:

They also use the DreamEngine developed by DreamFoil Creations to get the 3D sound effects.

They also use the DreamEngine developed by DreamFoil Creations to get the 3D sound effects.

That DreamEngine is awesome. I bought the Eurocopter AS350 a couple of weeks ago which also has the DreamEngine plugin and it sounds just like the real thing. One of the best sound sets I've heard from any plane in any sim/game.