Sign in to follow this  
GAJ52

A Voice Question

Hi

I am just getting to grips with VoxATC and apart from a few minor hic-cups with voice recognition, its going quite well.

I have bought the DVD version that comes with four AT&T voices, they are ok but one is driving me nuts 'Charles' he sounds like a 1950's British newsreader.  I know there are other voices available Voxpop, Ivona, Ceptral etc.

Can anyone advise a good voice setup that works well with VoxATC and sounds as near to Pilot / ATC conversations as possible.  For example I read one post where the user used Voxpop for the pilot voices and Ivona for ATC.  I don't mind paying for the voices if they work well, and they must be compatible with Win 7 64 bit.

Thanks

Glen

Glen

Hi Glen..... I would not presume to know what you might think are suitable voice selections for ATC in FSX.  However, I will tell you what I use as my combination of voices.

For my Co-Pilot (when I use him) - I have ATT Mike.

For my Controller voices - ATT Crystal, ATT Ray, ATT Rich, Cepstral David, Ivona Joey, and Ivona Salli.

For my AI Pilots - (all VoxPOP, all with Static Filter) - Female Voice 1, Male Voice 1, Male Voice 2, Male Voice 3 and Male Voice 4.

Good luck with your choices.

BTW - I run Windows 7 64 bit, and all my voices work fine.

All best,

Ray L. (Blackbird)

Hi Ray

Many thanks, that's exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

You are the second person to use the Voxpop voices for AI Pilots only, that sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a go.  I was worried initially about the resource hogging that Voxpop appears to use, but I have a fairly high end computer so hope it will be ok.

Thanks again

Glen

Glen

Hi again, Glen......Ray L here.

Yes, I like the VoxPop voices for the AI Pilots - wish there were more of them.  The VoxPop server is indeed a resource "hog".

A few of recommendations, if I may......

1) If you don't need it, shut off MS Speech Recognition - it should be a little grayed out circle with a tiny Microphone image in the middle of it - it should be down on your task bar (IF it's currently running).  If it's not, then nothing to do.

2)  Check out ProLasso.....a terrific program - but ONLY if you are savvy about setting up and "tweaking" your computer.  This is a very powerful program, that lets you adjust many, many things to do with your CPU, and Windows (CPU Affinity assignment, CPU priority, I/O Priority, Priority Class, and much, much more).   A word of WARNING, however.....it can also make your machine unstable or unusable.  Not for the faint-hearted.  However, if you use its options to "Configure Game and Multimedia Processes", it can give you some control of how things are handled, as well as a very good look at what's going on "under the hood" if Windows.  Worth a look, IMHO.

3) Finally - check out Game Booster....... I think it's now v 3.4 - maybe later.  It shuts off unnecessary processes in Windows - for me, it makes a huge difference in FSX.

All best,

Ray L ('Bird)

Hi Glen..... I would not presume to know what you might think are suitable voice selections for ATC in FSX.  However, I will tell you what I use as my combination of voices.

For my Co-Pilot (when I use him) - I have ATT Mike.

For my Controller voices - ATT Crystal, ATT Ray, ATT Rich, Cepstral David, Ivona Joey, and Ivona Salli.

For my AI Pilots - (all VoxPOP, all with Static Filter) - Female Voice 1, Male Voice 1, Male Voice 2, Male Voice 3 and Male Voice 4.

Good luck with your choices.

BTW - I run Windows 7 64 bit, and all my voices work fine.

All best,

Ray L. (Blackbird)

Hi Ray,

Your posts have been most useful to me. When I went on the ATT voice purchase site, I did encounter this statement: "NOTE: You must also have the Mike & Crystal voices because this edition contains the AT&T Natural Voices Engine required to run all voices."

Is this Voices Engine something that needs to be installed into the VOXATC program or Windows? Also is there anything like this needed to run the Cepstral voices as well?

Thanks,

Russ

HI Russ.....Ray L here.  Don't know anything about any "Engine" for ATT voices.  My GUESS is that it might be needed if you were going to use the voices to "read" PDFs, or Word Docs....things of that nature - but that's just a guess on my part - sorry.  I would guess for Cepstral or Ivona, as well.

Maybe shoot their support people an email.  All I did when I bought my voices was download the voices I wanted, then I installed them - that was it.

It's possible that their purchase / use stuff has changed.....not sure.

Good luck!

All best,

Ray L (Blackbird)

Thanks, Ray. That's what I needed. 

Russ