Sign in to follow this  
klamal

Single Saitek throttle quadrant?

Hello,

I've been thinking about getting this plane for the past couple weeks. I'm close to pulling the trigger but haven't really been able to find any good information on how well or "easy" I'd be able to operate the controls using just a single saitek throttle quadrant(which has only 3 axis). I've watched a lot of youtube videos and I'd really not like to have to set the throttle/props/CL with the mouse at all. So, does anyone have the Q400 with just a single throttle quadrant? If so, is it possible to not use the mouse at all for all phases(engine start, in flight, engine shutdown)?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Hi there, 

Unfortunately (for your question) I use two throttle quadrants, therefore using an individual axis for each engine throttle. However, for the purposes of flying props with multiple prop/mixture levers I have assigned my remaining two levers, one as the prop axis and the other as the mixture axis, therefore only having to use one lever to control multiple in-sim levers. I did this using the control settings within FSX itself, so it should be a breeze for you. 

I hope that gives you some idea of a work-around. 

Regards,

Yeah, I don't have any problems really with assigning controls. I'm ok there and perhaps my question didn't really come across the best. If I assign one lever of my quadrant to control throttle, is it possible to go through startup sequences where you put one throttle to DISC and start that engine, then repeat for the other throttle/engine. How would that work with only one axis assigned to both throttles/engines?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

My apologies, I see what you were referring to now. To the best of my knowledge you will have to adjust them manually either using the keyboard shortcuts or the mouse when you only want to adjust one throttle/lever. Hopefully someone in the same position as you can shed a bit more light on their process. 

Regards,

Hei,

I'm flying the plane with only one saitek throttle quadrant and it's working fine so far. I'm happy to tell you my setup as an example:

Left lever (black):     Engine one throttle

Middle lever (blue):  Engine two throttle

The levers are setup such that they span the region from DISK to FULL THROTTLE. Moving the levers completely down thus pushing the "lever button" (Saitek users might know what i mean) I decrease throttle further for reverse thrust.

Right lever (red):      Flaps

The six buttons T1-T6 are programmed using FSUIPC as follows:

T1: TOGA

T2: Parking brake set/release

T3: Moving power (prop) lever for engine one forward

T4: Moving power (prop) lever for engine one backward

T5: Moving power (prop) lever for engine two forward

T6: Moving power (prop) lever for engine two backward

The power levers have discrete positions. So I find it sufficient to have buttons for moving the lever to the next or last detent. In fact, I think this is more precise than moving a lever that does not have the detents. A guide on how to setup these buttons can be found in this thread: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/408492-propeller-control-via-keyboard/

I control the engines without the help of the mouse and find it quite comfortable. I hope you find this reply somewhat helpful.

cheers

Hei,

I'm flying the plane with only one saitek throttle quadrant and it's working fine so far. I'm happy to tell you my setup as an example:

Left lever (black):     Engine one throttle

Middle lever (blue):  Engine two throttle

The levers are setup such that they span the region from DISK to FULL THROTTLE. Moving the levers completely down thus pushing the "lever button" (Saitek users might know what i mean) I decrease throttle further for reverse thrust.

Right lever (red):      Flaps

The six buttons T1-T6 are programmed using FSUIPC as follows:

T1: TOGA

T2: Parking brake set/release

T3: Moving power (prop) lever for engine one forward

T4: Moving power (prop) lever for engine one backward

T5: Moving power (prop) lever for engine two forward

T6: Moving power (prop) lever for engine two backward

The power levers have discrete positions. So I find it sufficient to have buttons for moving the lever to the next or last detent. In fact, I think this is more precise than moving a lever that does not have the detents. A guide on how to setup these buttons can be found in this thread: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/408492-propeller-control-via-keyboard/

I control the engines without the help of the mouse and find it quite comfortable. I hope you find this reply somewhat helpful.

cheers

Thank you Rafael!! This seems like it would work pretty well. I think this may just clear my last hurdle to get over in my decision to buy this plane. It might just be time to get out the credit card now. :)

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Thank you Rafael!! This seems like it would work pretty well. I think this may just clear my last hurdle to get over in my decision to buy this plane. It might just be time to get out the credit card now. :)

Glad I could help.

One more thing though. I read that some people had problems with the saitek throttle and the Dash8 (Controls being jerky etc...). I don't know precisely what the problem was and if it was solved. For me everything works like it should. I merely want to make you aware about that. You can probably find the corresponding threads in this forum.

Ya after a while the little pots get a little gummed up and you get spiking. I opened mine up and cleaned the surface of the pots with some IPA and a Q tip. Solves the problem for about 3-4 months before I gotta clean them again.

I use a single Saitek quadrant as well and use 2 axis' for power lever control, and one for condition levers on both engines. I do the start-up using the mouse usually.

I don't use my reverse buttons for reverse, and instead have disc set at about 25% of the axis' throw. Anything behind that is reverse.