Sign in to follow this  
Guest Larry S

What do we have now with 9.1?

Guest Mike94

Hi,i would like to hear your opinion about the 9.1 patch, based on YOUR OWN experience and NOT on the MS-provided list of fixes and enhancements.The reason i ask is, that i don't see much of a difference after applying the patch, good or bad. It's hard to tell for me if there is an improvement in e.g. framerates etc. I was not unhappy before the patch, and so am i after the patch.An improvement for me is the higher mesh resolution, which i really can enjoy with the UK Terrain mesh and the Visual Flight UK scenery.And, i have the impression that the haze effects look better now with cloudy weather. Thats about all i noticed after the patching and after around 2 hours flying.Would like to hear your experiences.Cheers from germany,MichaelBTW. The patch installer is the strangest installer i have ever seen! It needed 1,5 hours to copy some DLLs to the right place, and the progressbar stayed at 0% all the time! It was hard not to cancel the installer, as i thought it might be hanging. I really wonder what this installer did in all this time!! A complete install of Windows from scratch runs in a shorter time... ;-)

"based on YOUR OWN experience and NOT on the MS-provided list of fixes and enhancements."Well it has to be based on MS's list because they didn't do anything other than what they mentioned in that list...# Addressed slow frame rates for flights repeatedly in and out of a common area. Frame rate decreases have been corrected by fixes to Autogen scenery behavior and memory allocation.-Improved but they didn't completely fix this one# Addressed product stability issues that were due to changes of season in particular airport environments. Users will experience stable and consistent behavior when changing the time and season across any of the airports at any level of scenery detail.-Good. Never had this problem myself (that is not to say it didn't exist)# Addressed additional product stability issues tied to various features throughout the product.-Uh...OK# Addressed issues with configuration file updates to make sure all option changes are reflected during subsequent launches.-Right.# Restored support for 19 meter digital elevation data as was supported in Flight Simulator 2002."-This is good news for users of VFR Terrain, Switzerland Pro and some other high-quality scenery products.# The update includes over 160 bridge models to replace missing bridges. These new bridges will appear at all scenery settings of normal and higher.-Don't care. There are better, more accurate replacements available. Also they are not in the right position, very evident when viewing photographic sceneries# Kennedy Airport (KJFK) features new autogen objects to enhance the high detailed scenery and terrain for the airport and surrounding area.-Wohoo a bunch of randomly placed 3D buildings at ONE airport!!# Virtual Student Pilots completing their first solo flights will correctly receive Solo Certificates for their accomplishments.-Stupid bug. Good idea to fix it.They did not change anything else, not included in that list or they would have mentioned that.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I had no problems installing the patch. I have many payware and freeware addons and they do not seem to be effected in anyway. Although I did have to update my FSUIPC. I am sure every had to do this. Overall, I don't see a vast improvement. If the stability is better, then great. I didn't have a big problem with this before. I might have picked up 2 fps overall, and the game play is a bit smoother. I probably could have lived without the patch, but it is nice to know that FS9 is updated with no issues to report.:D

Guys I congratulate Microsoft for the effort here. They could have treated us like they did with FS2k2 and not released a patch at all. There is no add-on scenery to replace all the bridges that Microsoft included, so that's a false statement. Who cares if some bridges/buildings aren't placed in the exact correct location, what other title on the market is modeling the whole world on this level??? I'm glad to have a decent Coronado bridge in San Diego that's not leaving my scenery devoid of autogen around a 10 mile square foot radius. Autogen performance has improved (although not perfect though) and the overall performance of the sim has stepped up. Textures load faster and more efficiently when you pan around, etc.. We have to be appreciative of updates made to a product no matter how small. FS2k2 was the first version in FS history not to have received a patch. I for one thought Microsoft was going to continue this trend but they didn't (:-jumpy). At this late stage in the game when people (for whatever reason) think Flight Simulator won't see another version, receiving an update is a blessing. FS2k6 is around the corner (well it'll be out next year) and these guys still pushed for updating FS2k4. How can you knock that??? Be thankful MS gave us something. I could see if the improvements weren't noticeable but they are and as much as we all are chasing framerates, any help in this department should be welcomed...I'm actually surprised by the ungrateful attitudes in this community. I never would have thought people are that spoiled as not to appreciate something like this....I guess no matter what you do in some people's eyes your never going to be seen in a favorable light... :-roll

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

My opinions on my experiences:I did a clean install of fs9 (took away most of my weekend in the process), so the install of the patch was simple and quick for me. My observations of the game after the patch:1) For me, textures load much more quickly now, especially ground textures. This is most noticable with the higher quality visual model aircraft out there. No more waiting for 2-3 seconds for all the textures to finally load. Some planes still have some delay, but at least for me it has been improved considerably. 2) The sim is just much smoother overall for me. This is most likely directly related to #1. 3) My framerates do seem slightly higher. I didn't do any exact benchmarks, but before the patch I was checking framerates at some payware airports. I would say that I have gained maybe 2-3 fps at most of those airports. 4) I have found zero bugs with any of my addons so far. Although it is way to early to say for sure. I haven't even had a chance to try many flights since the patch. I will stress again that my results were found after a 100% clean reinstall of fs9. I completely removed every single fs related file from my system and re-installed from scratch. I'm not sure how much (if at all) that makes a difference. It is entirely possible that my fs9 install was getting too bloated for its own good, and that the clean install was the cause of some of these improvements. My overall conclusion: so far I am very happy! My overall enjoyment from flightsim has gone up due to less stuttering. Although I am sure we are not finished finding bugs with addons and even the patch itself.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Mike94

Dillon,if you meant me, i really didnt want to sound ungrateful. I am very happy that MS issued the patch. I just wanted to hear other's opinions, because i don't see much of a difference after the patch, except the points i mentioned.Anyway, i was happy with FS9 before the patch, and so am i after the patch, it didnt hurt. :-)Maybe i need some hours more flying with 9.1, to discover more things.Cheers,Michael

I had orginially said that I was going to leave well enough alone and just stick with 9.0, but of course could not do that and installed it last night. My intial thoughts are all positive; the most striking thing that I have notice so far is the visual improvement in mesh scenery: it really does look better. I do think that textures seem to load quicker. I have not noticed an issue with add-ons to this point although I have not yet used realtime weather as I otherwise always do. There may be a slight improvement in overall FS9 performance ( FPS etc) but that wasn't an issue before the patch for me. Bottom line: so far I think that it was worth doing.Ed GreenKCLThttp://www.panelshop.com/DEV.jpghttp://www.globecargo.org/images/VAA_Sen_captain.jpg

Michael I was more so talking to posters like 'JimmiG'.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest cw1011

Got to say, I'm happy with the results.1. Now have bridges that look like the ones in my hometown of Portland Oregon - something that was NOT available before. 2. Fewer CTDs - noticable.3. Smoother flying, especially in cpu demanding situations, like lots of clouds, close to the ground or heavy duty panel. 4. Mega scenery is performing better - fewer instances of losing texture resolution. Works for me.

Hi Colin.I'm surprised you worded #2 as fewer CTDs... there shouldn't be any CTDs. Have you found some? Are they caused by the sim, or by addons?Dick

Guest cw1011

Add ons only now - mostly from the Reality XP garmin which sometimes has troubles with ending flights and trying to start new ones.

Guest Larry S

I'm not seeing any change in frames. I do see new bridges, etc. If it fixes the problems as advertised, then overall I'm happy.But I was just wondering, in the process of fixing what it did fix, like flying into and out of the same area, did it have any effect on the landclass memory leak issue? I know that wasn't one of the stated issues it addressed, but maybe we got lucky?

Guest bobsk8

Initially I didn't want to install the patch but after reading that most people have had success with it , I decided to try it knowing that I could uninstall it if worst came to worst with XP System restore. I replaced the modified Exe file that had the no CD fix and followed the rest of the instructions on the MS web site and away it went. The result was that, it loaded properly, and now it seems as if the graphics are loading more smoothly in FS9. When I switch views from cockpit to spot, instead of there being a delay as the paint appears on the aircraft, it is there immediately. Frame rates seem a bit better. No problems so far.

Guest ScottPilot

My experience was the same as posted above. I re-installed FS9 and than ran the patch and have noticed a significant increase in overall performance of the sim on my system (PIII 1ghz).So far all my add-ons seem to be working just fine!Scott :-)

Guest RichD

The Patch working great here. Good job Microsoft.Richard