Sign in to follow this  
Vineguy

Need help changing from HDG to NAV1

I hope someone may be able to shed some light on my ignorance. If I am doing a long flight I would normally take off with the departure heading from ATC. Once ATC would tell me to turn to a certain heading, I switch from heading to Nav1 and the aircraft will follow ATC instructions so I don't have to continue to switch headings on a long flight. All I would have to do would be to acknowledge ATC instructions until I reached my cruising altitude and then acknowledge the ATC to tune to the next center but never contact that center and I could fly without having to answer ATC until I reached a point where I am in range for descent.

Question is, on the NGX what do I chose to change from HDG to NAV1.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Thanks.

Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

Look at the top dash. The console that you use for autopilot. LNAV is for nav or vor track then HDG is for heading track. Look under where you dial heading. One or the other has to be selected, so when you switch it cuts the other off. Hope this makes sense to you . There are also two autopilots Rht Lft.  Make sure one of them is engaged so you don't cruise into never never land.Cpt out.

I switch from heading to Nav1

I am not sure what you mean by "Nav1."  Do you mean going from heading to GPS mode, by flipping the NAV/GPS switch, in a default aircraft?  If so, LNAV is like GPS mode, except that it is 4,520,640X better!  The FMC, to which it is connected, has altitude and speed constraints, top of climb, step climb, top of descent, SIDs, STARs, etc.  (You also need to use VNAV to get the full value.)  If you have the same flight plan in FSX and in the NGX FMC, it should work pretty much as you described.  In fact you can go into LNAV shortly after takeoff.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Question is, on the NGX what do I chose to change from HDG to NAV1.

Let's get this out before Kyle wakes up: the NGX is a complex and highly realistic simulation of the 737, and you can't expect it to operate just like the default planes in FSX. As the posters above mentioned already, there is no such thing as "NAV1" on the NGX, and using the autoflight system involves more than just flipping a switch and expecting the aircraft to follow your planned route. Instead, you'll have to get your hands dirty, study how the flight management system works, and learn to configure and use it (in addition to learning how to fly the 737 in of itself).

All this and more is explained thoroughly in the two tutorials (appropriately called "NGX Tutorial 1" and "NGX Tutorial 2" in your PMDG737NGX Start Menu folder) that come included with the NGX software. I'd highly recommend you do these first; feel free to post any remaining questions you might have in the forums. Good luck!

All this and more is explained thoroughly in the two tutorials (appropriately called "NGX Tutorial 1" and "NGX Tutorial 2" in your PMDG737NGX Start Menu folder) that come included with the NGX software. I'd highly recommend you do these first; feel free to post any remaining questions you might have in the forums. Good luck!

Post only in the forum AFTER you done the checkflights!

NAV1 with ngx...*******! :O

NAV1 with ngx...*******!

Actually, there is NAV 1 in 737NG.   :P

By FCOM:

CMD A uses VHF NAV 1 for control and CMD B uses VHF NAV 2 for control

You could almost start the next flight with the hints from this thread anyway: Make sure, when switching from HDG to LNAV, you are on a heading which intercepts your route before reaching the next waypoint. Otherwise LNAV will not engage (turn the aircraft appropriately, if necessary, before hitting LNAV).

My thanks to those who offered their assistance. It is very much appreciated. To those who chose to make yourself look so damn smart, why offer such degrading answers? This is my first attempt at learning to fly such a complicated aircraft. I have read the manual. I have been flying all versions of Flight Simulator since 1984. I simply got used to using a certain panel for my flights. That panel didn't have a LNAV etc. so much of this is new to me.

Once again thanks for your assistance.

Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

Let's get this out before Kyle wakes up: the NGX is a complex and highly realistic simulation of the 737, and you can't expect it to operate just like the default planes in FSX. As the posters above mentioned already, there is no such thing as "NAV1" on the NGX, and using the autoflight system involves more than just flipping a switch and expecting the aircraft to follow your planned route. Instead, you'll have to get your hands dirty, study how the flight management system works, and learn to configure and use it (in addition to learning how to fly the 737 in of itself).

...and that just made my morning.  Thank you - both for more eloquently stating what I'd write, and for the laugh.

Kyle Rodgers

To those who chose to make yourself look so damn smart, why offer such degrading answers?

I'm not sure if that's directed at me, but if it is: my apologies for creating that impression. No disrespect is intended and any perceived snarkiness in my posts should be attributed to a choice of writing style (or lack thereof) rather than a misplaced sense of superiority.

Take no offense. In the future, I will just use Google to see if anyone has asked the same question. The NAV1 was a mistake. I meant NAV, not anything referring to the radio stack.

I doubt if anyone that owns this software hasn't asked a question on this forum at some point in their learning curve.

Perhaps my post wasn't clear as to what I was asking.

Just remember, "what would David Opa do?"

Hi, Vineguy,

Despite some of the tone, perhaps including mine, I hope you will continue to learn this aircraft.  You really do need to do the tutorials, especially the first one, step by step.  I bought the NGX a few weeks ago.  Even though I have flown other aircraft using LNAV, VNAV, a Flight Management Computer (FMC), etc., I did the tutorials and I really need to do them again to get more familiar with this aircraft. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi Mike. I have read the tutorials etc. It is a different situation once you are in the air and have to continue to pause and go back to the manual. This aircraft is just much different than the 737's I have flown before. Even at age 70, I will learn to use all the systems whether I like to or not.

Thanks for your response.

Bob.

It is a different situation once you are in the air and have to continue to pause and go back to the manual. This aircraft is just much different than the 737's I have flown before. Even at age 70, I will learn to use all the systems whether I like to or not.

I certainly needed to keep pausing to read the manual and then carry out the next step, especially since I wasn't that familiar with this particular VC.  Also keep in mind that this aircraft is designed for two pilots but you are doing everything unassisted.   In the real world one pilot would be flying the aircraft while the other would be making entries in the FMC, tuning radios, talking to ATC, looking at approach charts, etc.  And both of them would already be thoroughly familiar with the aircraft.

Perhaps I am prejudiced, since I am only a few years younger than you, but I think it's more a question of mastering a complex system than one of age.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi Bob

Just a suggestion as you may have probably seen or been advised to refer to, but there are some superb YouTube tutorials out there including some put togther by some very experienced flyers here. That way you might not have to stop/pause, refer to the manual. Like Mike has said, I too am only a handful of years behind you and even though I may not have your RL experience of the 737, nevertheless, through the various tutorials and a community of ever-willing helpers here, I have mastered this complex aircraft, which I'm sure you too will do.

Good Luck.