Sign in to follow this  
morso484

A different kind of problem

Hi,

To make a long story short, I have just spent weeks fixing my FSX after a hardware upgrade, first my Captain Sim aircraft wouldn't work, then the PMDG aircraft.  After fixing those, my FSX quit after 30 minutes and couldnt' be reactivated.  Well I muddled through all of it and seem to have fixed everything.  For those interested, my FSX was it's own directory, but wouldn't reactivate until I made a new user account on my computer, then accessed FSX and it asked for the key code.  The aircraft all had problems that were traced to the fsx.cfg file.  For some reason, every place there was to be a number, "0,1 or 2"  it had a negative sign in front of it.  On some forum, someone mentioned this fix.  So, changing all the numbers from the negative version to the positive seemed to fix the aircraft. ( I have added an example).  Now tonight after the first time of flying after the fix, I flew a Carenado  182Q and it work fine.  Then I switched to a Captain Sim 727-100 and it did not work, no working switches and such.  I know I changed all the numbers, but I suspect that after flying one aircraft, something in the fsx.cfg file changed others to the negative version.  I stopped FSX, opened the fsx.cfg and found the 727-100 numbers had changed to a -2.  The question is what can I do to prevent this or somehow lock this file so it can't be changed?

This is what I mean about the fsx.cfg file, this seems to make the aircraft work properly:

C:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\CS_B777-200ER_GE\panel\Captain_Sim.x777.sys.GAU.abhtzzaokchluweqkccwkiunhcbawnirqqhoozuw=2
C:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\CS_B777-200ER_GE\panel\Captain_Sim.x777.sound.GAU.qeqiwhqkolezuiwzrzbbtrtzbrcabkltuhqbzebb=2
C:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\CS_B777-200ER_GE\panel\Captain_Sim.x777.update.GAU.rooqwnuuciwoaaiwrwhlowzqcciehltteruorilb=2

Maybe someone will recognize the problem that is changing these numbers in the first place and I can fix that.

As an aside, Captain Sim support was worse than useless, but forum members were of great help and went above and beyond to help.  PMDG support was much more receptive, but were unable to diagnose the problem, probably not their fault.  Lastly Microsoft support, what can I say?  They did however offer to fix the problem for $99.00

Thanks in advance and maybe this will help someone else.

Mike

Good info if it works for everyone.  You can also delete everything in the Trusted Section of your FSX.cfg, restart FSX and you will again be allowed to trust or not to trust the gauges.  Perhaps you did not trust the gauges when asked the first time.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Thanks for the reply, actually, I did try that initially but it never asked if you wanted to use those or trusted it, just like after the reinstall, FSX never asked to re- activate the program.  I'm wondering what the numbers in the fsx.cfg file mean.  The lines end with "=0,1or 2" or the negative version, but what does 0 or 1 or 2 mean to FSX?  This might be the issue I'm having now with the seemingly random changes of those numbers.  I do believe this fix will help a lot of people with gauges problems or whatever, mainly the large number of people who can't get their Captain Sim aircraft to have landing gear.  If I can hammer out a solid solution, I will be spending the word.

Mike