Sign in to follow this  
jetsflier

Performance & Complexity Questions

Hey all, I just began thinking, which will take me days with my level of procrastination, about purchasing the Dash 8-Q400 from Majestic, knowing that it's a complex simulation. I have two questions regarding this, and they do involve comparisons to other A/C in FSX.

So off we go...

I own the Airbus X Extended and the PMDG 737NGX and am able to keep them relatively steady at 25FPS [locked] when in the air, and usually 20 or more FPS on the ground. How will the Majestic Dash 8 stack up against these values? I'm really curious to know, as it will almost make my choice on whether or not to buy it for me.

In terms of the complexity, does the aircraft use some form of LNAV/VNAV, and a form of Managed Descent? Does the FMC have "all" functions, or is it "lite?"

~Thank you! - Jeremy Chesney

This aircraft is very accurately modeled although it still has some bugs. Some of the software actually works outside of FSX, so it actually has better FPS than most complex addons. The FMS is somewhat different than Boeing or Airbus but as far as I know is a good representation of the real Dash 8.

It does have LNAV and VNAV. It takes some patience to learn the aircraft, but it is a very enjoyable aircraft to fly and I find it somewhat addictive.

Ron

Ron Service

This aircraft is very accurately modeled although it still has some bugs. Some of the software actually works outside of FSX, so it actually has better FPS than most complex addons. The FMS is somewhat different than Boeing or Airbus but as far as I know is a good representation of the real Dash 8.

It does have LNAV and VNAV. It takes some patience to learn the aircraft, but it is a very enjoyable aircraft to fly and I find it somewhat addictive.

Ron

Thank you for the information Ron. If anyone else has any information, don't hesitate to post it, the more answers I have, the less bias in my decision.

No lite fms here. Almost all systems there, and they'll be more added in the pro version somehow lol

And performance is very good.

Yeah the performance is excellent, I'm using "very dense" autogen settings with this plane compared to NGX where I use "normal" autogen settings B)

The Majestic Q400 is one of the most complete addons on the market for FSX in terms of what is simulated. Performance is at least comparable and often better than other sophisticated airliners for FSX. What you really need to be asking is does the real Q400 have what you asked for, the answer to which is maybe.

You get LNAV with RNP but not the level you would in a Boeing or Airbus, for example the route on the ND is drawn as series of straight lines, instead of smooth curves with optional overfly.

VNAV is for descent only and will not manage speed. The aircraft has no autothrottle but FADEC will do much of the power setting for you.

The FMS has limited ability to do performance calculations and fuel predictions. E.g. just like the Q400 in reality, the fuel predictions won't read correctly until you are levelled off in the cruise. Wind prediction input isn't yet modelled but coming soon (but doesn't make a deal of difference on most flights as legs are generally short)

Compared to the real aircraft, the FMS in the pilot edition of the Majestic MJC8 Q400 is missing RAIM (if you don't know what this is then you don't need to worry), Equal Time Point (ETP) and Point of No Return (PNR) functions, ARINC weather (requesting METARs through the FMS) and FMS maintenance functions. More details available on Majestic's website at http://majesticsoftware.com/mjc8q400/products.html

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Looks like I've got a bit of thinking to do.

IF anyone happens to have anything else to say please do so now so it will be included!

Nothing more to add than that most of the things Chris mentioned above will be included in the training Version, that people with the Pilot version can upgrade to when it gets released, just by paying a little extra for the upgrade and not the full price of the training version.. 

Performance (FPS) of the Dash 8 is amazing. For me it runs a LOT smoother than the NGX for example.

Just bought this aircraft today and it is amazing!!!! Performance is really good. I really don't have problems with the NGX either though so take that for it's worth.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I get great performance from the Q400.

The Majestic forum is an excellent source for reading some of the common issues people have had - much of it is simply learning the plane.  As Chris noted above, it's not a matter of whether features are present but not simulated; rather, it's features that simply aren't present in the real plane that require learning.  The FMS is most definitely not 'lite'. :)

One important note is that because the flight model runs outside of FSX, some other addons might not quite be compatible.  Some of the issues you can find on the Majestic forum are related to this.

Overall, I've considered to to be an excellent purchase.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

It is interesting to read the comments. The following is not to be read as a criticism of the aircraft or Majestic as I found Majestic support to be very prompt and helpful. I just hope there may be some information in my comments that helps other Majestic owners who have problems. Obviously all computers are not the same and much of the problems were my setup rather than Majestic. This is the chronological order of events: -

1. First I had DiectX problems – more to do with Microsoft than Majestic but Q400 would not load with the wheels down.
  2. I re-installed several times and even re-formatted my Hard Drive to find a solution but little success. Majestic sent a notice of upgrade but unfortunately after I downloaded the new version and went to install it I got a message from Majestic “Installs Exhausted.” Several e-mails later the install was re-opened.
  3. The latest version loaded but was totally unstable. It “bounced” all over the place. More contact with Majestic and they sent me a new aircraft.cfs, new mjc84_main.dll for the panel folder. Some improvement but still impossible to fly and land.
  4. Made sure FSUIPC situation saving was de-activated as well as other Majestic suggestions.
  5. Things were improving but still some instability and bouncing during taxi and pushback. Not bad if I started the flight from the active runway but it was impossible to land.  Believe me I practiced and I should know how to land as I have been simming since the beginning and was a comercial pilot. I read the forums etc. Made sure airspeed was 130k with power on etc. etc. but it still was almost impossible on my computer.
  6. I kept looking and saw in an Avsim forum to remove the Shader files in "....apdata/local/Microsoft/FSX"  which I did. This definitely made a difference but the bouncing still happened and landing was still difficult even though there was improvement. It was interesting that the instability recurred after a few flights but removing the Shader Folders again settled things down.
  7. Further reading brought me to http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html. I used their Tweaking and Tuning tool and things started to improve. Bouncing stabilized but frame rates still slow, especially at complex airports. So the problem seemed in my setup for FSX and the settings on my computer.
  8. I reviewed my system and decided I needed more RAM. I added 4G and now have 8.

I am happy to say I can now fly the aircraft. It models well with FR about 15-20. There is a lot to learn to make everything work properly which adds to the enjoyment of simming. Practice is needed especially in the landing phase but I have just completed successfully an around Australia flight with stops about 1/2-11/2 hrs. apart. The only other aircraft I have in my stable that can do that and resemble true airline functionality would be is the PMDG JS41 which I envoy as well.

Cheers

Rob Ross

The secret to a good landing is keeping the thing in trim. It's easier to lands at Flaps 15 with Reduced Np Landing, it's a bit of a pig in pitch at flaps 35! In reality, most operators use Flaps 15 landing unless it's a short or contaminated runway, you can land Flaps 10 but it will increase tail strike risk.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

The Majestic Q400 is one of the most complete addons on the market for FSX in terms of what is simulated. Performance is at least comparable and often better than other sophisticated airliners for FSX. What you really need to be asking is does the real Q400 have what you asked for, the answer to which is maybe.

You get LNAV with RNP but not the level you would in a Boeing or Airbus, for example the route on the ND is drawn as series of straight lines, instead of smooth curves with optional overfly.

VNAV is for descent only and will not manage speed. The aircraft has no autothrottle but FADEC will do much of the power setting for you.

The FMS has limited ability to do performance calculations and fuel predictions. E.g. just like the Q400 in reality, the fuel predictions won't read correctly until you are levelled off in the cruise. Wind prediction input isn't yet modelled but coming soon (but doesn't make a deal of difference on most flights as legs are generally short)

Compared to the real aircraft, the FMS in the pilot edition of the Majestic MJC8 Q400 is missing RAIM (if you don't know what this is then you don't need to worry), Equal Time Point (ETP) and Point of No Return (PNR) functions, ARINC weather (requesting METARs through the FMS) and FMS maintenance functions. More details available on Majestic's website at http://majesticsoftware.com/mjc8q400/products.html

It's also missing pilot defined waypoints.  Hopefully that will be added to the pro edition.  

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB